Canadian Music Scene interview with Allan Weinrib and Dale Heslip of Fadoo Productions

Posted on Wednesday, December 18, 2013 at 9:49AM

#38 - Posted 12/21/13 @1:03PM by lisah [contact]

Finally one great Rush mystery has been solved. Geds daughter Kyla was "Kuggle." It was a good article from a different perspective of the Rush "machine". We also know that the video of the concerts is put out by someone who has the bands blessing.It wasn't a secret that Geds brother was at the helm, so we know that the concert footage they put out is what they wanted.Like it, or not. I personally like the CA dvd. It's not perfect, but it's still a hell of a show from my favorite band! It's also a souvenir of great times and great Rush friends.Thundering Onward to the next great "Rush adventure!"
#37 - Posted 12/20/13 @4:36PM by omegabrain [contact]

Joe,

I do not condone what security may have done in any way. Next time find a way to take action. Find an attorney who will work on contingency.

However, I am bit dismayed by your arena story. The takeaway: DON'T EVEN TRY. Sure, you are probably just a big fan, but it crosses the line of decency and respect. Don't be "that guy". Not only would it make EVERYONE uncomfortable, but you are asking for trouble.
#36 - Posted 12/20/13 @9:10AM by joerock213 [contact]

#33 I've said that Riverbend was a different story than Columbus. Sure I wandered into the wrong part of Nationwide arena that night, but I wasn't attacked for it. You know sometimes it can really pay off if you wait around after a show. In 2005 or 06 I was at Sawyer Point in Cincinnati for a Medeski Martin and Wood show. The concert ended and my buddy left with his new girlfriend so I was on my own. I walked over to some tents behind stage. There was a food buffet set up and several people hanging out talking. Next thing I know the guys from Medeski Martin and Wood show up. I end up not only meeting them but talking about music, got Chris Wood's autograph, and smoked up in the tent. You know, you can do a lot when you're alone. Riverbend though was a real nightmare. Every word I wrote is true.
#35 - Posted 12/20/13 @9:08AM by jupeguyowensound [contact]

#33-Also, in one of Neil's books he tells of an incident where a fan got thru security and was on Neil's bus when Neil came out of the bathroom/shower or something like that, and it really shook Neil up, so security probably has very strict orders regarding people who are messed up trying to worm their way into the backstage areas.However 12 security guards to handle one guy?If that's true then it is authority going over the top.
Hey Jim! get some real interesting banter going in here will ya? Make shit up if you have to! Remember embellishment is the essence of good story telling.
#34 - Posted 12/20/13 @7:06AM by holeinone53575

I've seen many people get forcefully hauled out at Rush concerts. They really have zero tolerance for anything.
#33 - Posted 12/20/13 @4:13AM by liquidmuse3 [contact]

Ok no offense, now seeing Joe's *other* stories (overindulgence in substances, wanting to bug Geddy), the Riverbend story seems like it has a million holes in it. They brought 12 guys to rough you up because you pointed at a female usher?!?
#32 - Posted 12/20/13 @4:10AM by liquidmuse3 [contact]

Um...most guys who practice MMA get their ya-yas out at a dojo or gym...they're not looking to bust ass on a semi-geeky Rush fan. & they wouldn't use a freakin' headlock. Sorry, just combating a dumb stereotype about that sport.
#31 - Posted 12/19/13 @10:02PM by chuteski [contact]

Not all who lurk are lost.
#30 - Posted 12/19/13 @9:21PM by jiminseattle [contact]

Where is everyone?
#29 - Posted 12/19/13 @5:38PM by jupeguyowensound [contact]

sounds like the same type of bullshit Alex went thru at the Naples Ritz Carlton. Sad.
#28 - Posted 12/19/13 @5:18PM by jiminseattle [contact]

You are a great lawyer DENNY CRANE!
#27 - Posted 12/19/13 @3:50PM by Denny Crane [contact]

I know a good lawyer.

DENNY CRANE
#26 - Posted 12/19/13 @3:37PM by joerock213 [contact]

I remember them saying something about I was shouting and intimidating the usher. Well, the greatest band in modern history was playing on stage, so yes I think I was yelling. The problem is they look for people to manhandle. People can't have fun anymore. It's a police state.
#25 - Posted 12/19/13 @3:31PM by omegabrain [contact]

Man, that's horrible. I really question what the female usher and the male security was thinking. It doesn't sound like you were a threat at all.
#24 - Posted 12/19/13 @3:28PM by joerock213 [contact]

Yes I had witnesses, as well as police officers who stated they would be on my side if it went to court. The problem was I was a student with no money. How could I hire an attorney? And the court costs and time, etc.. Riverbend has a bad reputation for stuff like this. Ask the Phish phans when they come to town.
#23 - Posted 12/19/13 @3:23PM by omegabrain [contact]

This sounds horrible. Where were the witnesses? And why were you tackled by 6 guards?

If your statement is accurate, you absolutely had a case. But it should have been pursued immediately.
#22 - Posted 12/19/13 @3:15PM by joerock213 [contact]

Riverbend was one of those occasions where if I were so inclined as well as financially sound that I may have sought legal representation and filed suit. It was about 7 years ago now I think. I was in the pavilion at Riverbend. This time I had a couple buddies with me. We were jacked to be at the Rush concert! I was in the first row of a section. In front of me was one of the many ushers who face out at the crowd with apprehensive looks on their faces. I think during Circumstances I might have pointed at the nice female usher while mouthing the lyrics "the more that things change, the more they stay the same". Several minutes later, a short stocky fellow with a yellow security shirt came up to me and asked me step out. I asked him why and tried to show him my ticket. Before I could think, he grabbed me in a headlock and pulled me over the railing and began to drag me out in a bent over position. One of my friends followed behind. I kept saying I'm cool and let my head go, but he kept dragging me. I tried to shake him off, and at that point I was tackled by at least 6 other security guards. I couldn't breathe underneath the pile. The cuffed me and took me off to the side. It was all very intense. A woman wanted to take my name and information. People were walking around, it was all a blur. Finally two Sheriffs deputies put me and my friend in golf cart and took us out to the parking lot. Having heard my story and assessing the situation, they said I was free to go and had done nothing wrong. It was terrible. All because some MMA-loving meatball head wanted to rough me up. The worst part of course was missing the rest of the Rush concert. I curse Riverbend security and all they sit for.
#21 - Posted 12/19/13 @3:15PM by Mr. K

The Clockwork Angels videos were trying a little too hard to be quirky. As a result, they were a bit on the "meh" side.
#20 - Posted 12/19/13 @2:56PM by omegabrain [contact]

What happened at Riverbend?
#19 - Posted 12/19/13 @2:55PM by joerock213 [contact]

I wasn't looking for trouble, I was looking for Geddy. I drove up to Columbus alone because my "friends" bailed out on me. By the time they played Analog Kid I was in tears! So many great songs that I had waited to hear for so long. The emotion of the night coupled with substances led me to the idea that I might hang around towards the stage and maybe get a glimpse at Geddy and tell him what a great show it was. I guess I went a little to far backstage, and the walkie talkies detained me. I told them I meant no harm, and I was let out the back. Riverbend a few years ago was another story. Anyway, I'm very passionate about Rush.