Updates and other random Rush stuff

Posted on Friday, December 20, 2013 at 12:13PM

Page 1 of 3 - 1 2 3
#59 - Posted 12/27/13 @2:55AM by Enigmaticus [contact]

Thank you!
#58 - Posted 12/27/13 @2:54AM by Enigmaticus [contact]

Jennifer,

Your previous posts were absolutely brilliant, now if you would, please change the subject from the plight of Emperor penguins to the life of Pyotr Ilyich Tchaikovsky.
#57 - Posted 12/25/13 @1:33PM by jiminseattle [contact]

Thanks everyone for your kind and supportive comments. Have a very Merry Christmas or whatever holiday you all enjoy. Jim
#56 - Posted 12/25/13 @12:26PM by Enigmaticus [contact]

Congratulations to both Jim and CraigJ on having successful businesses. It is good to know that the entrepreneurial spirit is still alive and thriving. CraigJ, I have a problem with authority also and avoid talking about politics and religion, whenever possible.

I wonder if being an aficionado of Rush's music and lyrics has made me much more distrustful of authority, over the years?

Winstontizzer,

I have heard great things about The Musical Box, as well. I would prefer to see a performance of "Nursery Cryme," "Foxtrot," or "The Lamb Lies Down On Broadway," however. Of the Peter Gabriel era albums, my least favorite is "Selling England By The Pound," although I do enjoy 'Firth Of Fifth,' 'I Know What I Like' and 'Dancing With The Moonlit Knight.'
#55 - Posted 12/25/13 @6:35AM by winstontizzer [contact]

50. Good for you Jim. hope the job turns out well. I have also been self employed in the bubble for coming up to 8 years also. I have managed to escape the rat race for much longer than I thought possible. Still going though! Merry Christmas to everyone on the site and many thanks Ed, you do such a fine job. I love the site.
Just seen a clip of a demo of old chromey on Youtube. What a sound that thing makes. Absolutely took me back to the first Rush song I ever heard. A 45 of Bastille Day. Brought the sound of the beauty of that kit into full glow. Nothing sounds as good as that kit. I would love it if they went all retro and used all that old equipment on a stripped back tour. Thinking of that reminds me of a really excellent Genesis tribute band that I saw a few years back in Birmingham. they were called The Musical Box and I believe that the Band was from Canada.
They did the whole of the Genesis 1973 Selling England by the Pound tour. they had all of the original instruments. The opening chord of the keybaords on Watcher of the Skies sent a low rumbling vibration through the floor. It was spectacular
#54 - Posted 12/24/13 @4:39PM by jiminseattle [contact]

Thanks Jupe!

Watching the DVD and Alex absolutely shreds on The Body Electric. Killer!!!!
#53 - Posted 12/24/13 @4:10PM by jupeguyowensound [contact]

Right on Jim! Happy for you.
#52 - Posted 12/24/13 @3:08PM by jiminseattle [contact]

Thanks Craig. Yeah I have loved my commute for years but this place is only 15 minutes from home. Jim
#51 - Posted 12/24/13 @2:56PM by CraigJ [contact]

#50 - Congrats! I worked for a large company for many years but am now self employed. I have a problem with politics and authority... Plus my commute is only 50 ft.
#50 - Posted 12/24/13 @2:22PM by jiminseattle [contact]

Shit I just got a new job! Haven't worked for anyone but myself for 8 years. I am freakin out and just had to share. Merry Merry!
#49 - Posted 12/24/13 @12:42PM by jiminseattle [contact]

Yes Ed, thanks so much. This has been an amazing year for Rush and this blog is the best medicine. The good, the bad, the ugly.....it is all fun for me. What a wonderful day and looking forward to the New Year.
#48 - Posted 12/24/13 @12:07PM by jupeguyowensound [contact]

Hi Jim- from what I heard I thought they sounded Yes-ish as well. Bass player was pretty good. Merry Christmas-Happy Holidays to everyone and a special shout out to Ed for all his hard work in running this site and babysitting us royal pains in the asses(well me at least anyways). Keep bloggin' everyone.
#47 - Posted 12/24/13 @11:44AM by jiminseattle [contact]

Hey Jupe,

I had a Starcastle album back in the day. Sounded a lot like Yes to me, very tasty.

Merry Christmas Eve to all.

Jim
#46 - Posted 12/24/13 @9:55AM by Enigmaticus [contact]

#45,

I have heard one album by Starcastle. If I remember correctly, they had sounded more like Styx, than Yes. I may have to listen to them again sometime, but that one album did not really impress me, unfortunately. I happen to prefer listening to the original progressive rock bands, such as: Rush, Yes, The Moody Blues, King Crimson, Genesis, Jethro Tull, Pink Floyd, Emerson, Lake & Palmer, Gentle Giant, Procol Harum, Supertramp, Camel, Caravan, Van der Graaf Generator and Renaissance, instead. Each one of those groups have their own distinct and original sound. Kansas, Styx and Asia have interesting music also. If I had wanted to hear a band that sounded like Yes, I might opt for Glass Hammer. I have heard good things about them.

As far as I am concerned, the most impressive neo-progressive band is Echolyn and "As The World" is their masterpiece. I highly recommend getting that album, if it is available.

I had recently purchased a few albums by the new version of Dream Theater. I really like Jordan Rudess' keyboard playing on 'On The Backs Of Angels.' from "A Dramatic Turn Of Events." I have heard that the new Dream Theater album is also great; I may consider getting it.

As far as great live video recordings are concerned, I really like the Clockwork Angel's Tour BluRay and cd. I am also an aficionado of Duran Duran's "A Diamond In The Mind." I feel that this recording is superlative and it had really changed my opinion about this group. In my honest opinion, it is one of the beat live concerts that I have ever seen and will change one's opinion about Duran Duran being just a "pop band." I think that it proves emphatically that Duran Duran is really an "art rock," "prog related," or "prog crossover" band, instead.
#45 - Posted 12/24/13 @8:11AM by jupeguyowensound [contact]

enigmaticus if you're still there, have you ever listened to an old prog band called Starcastle much? I often get on the itunes store site and then just preview bands that I have never heard of and play hearts. So this Starcastle band kind of caught my attention. Sound a lot like Yes. The bass player seems really talented. Wikied them and the bass players name was Gary Strater, passed away in 2004. Just wondering what your thoughts on them are.Thanks
#44 - Posted 12/24/13 @7:29AM by jupeguyowensound [contact]

that just made my morning mood. Funny stuff!
#43 - Posted 12/24/13 @2:07AM by Jennifer

#42: I have not been to the Arctic myself, but I may watch too many nature shows, as evidenced by the fact that I've just taken your offhand comment and rewritten an entire Rush song from the perspective of an extremely hungry penguin:

It's not a place
It's just waiting
It's not a race
It's just mating

It's not an act
It's the Arctic
It's not a style
It's survival

It's a krill for the killing
It's a king crab served up on a dish
It's a squid for the scarfing
It's a wind storm with a hundred fish

Growth of winter fat, layers of blubber
The taste of fish is a delicacy
Maybe this bird... is a bird in flight?
Endlessly remodeling!
Here we come off of the ice floe
Endlessly waddling
Endlessly waddling

It's a wing
That rocks the ice floe
It's a black tail
That hits the snow

It's a new chick on the edge of water
It's pale yellow on the edge of a chest
It's a seal on the edge of slaughter
It's an egg on the edge of a nest

Endlessly waddling...
#42 - Posted 12/24/13 @12:43AM by musicofthespheres [contact]

jennifer -- that seemed to come way too easily... have you been to the ice? or just a fan? not a lot of people know what krill are... Oh, and maybe Endlessly Waddling as Track 11 closer?
#41 - Posted 12/23/13 @11:31PM by Enigmaticus [contact]

Jennifer,

Those were absolutely hilarious comments; thank you for posting them.
#40 - Posted 12/23/13 @10:40PM by Jennifer

#39:

"I'm not giving in
To a winter of starvation
I'm not missing out
On the promise of crustaceans
I'm not giving up
On IMPOSSIBLE MEALS
Escaping the leopard seals
Escaping the leopard seeeeeeals"