Chris Squire wants Rush to induct Yes into the Rock Hall

Posted on Saturday, December 14, 2013 at 9:06AM

Page 1 of 3 - 1 2 3
#44 - Posted 12/23/13 @2:39AM by Enigmaticus [contact]

Even though the bi-partisan effort to induct Yes had failed this year, I do not think that the Yes aficionados should give up their efforts. Rush's induction was certainly a game changer; unfortunately, many members of the Rush fan base had chosen to join with the KISS army, instead of supporting Yes. Those individuals feel that Rush fans should have endorsed KISS, because KISS had chosen Rush as their tour mates during the early days.

As I had stated before, I feel was this was for financial gain, not completely altruistic reasons. Once Rush had changed their style, they were pretty much left to fend for themselves. Even so, Rush had chosen to take a more artistically satisfying route. At that point, their management should have teamed them up with more progressive rock acts. Since they did not, Rush had to forge their own way in the world of prog rock, without the support of their kindred brethren.

If Rush had opened for Yes instead, both artists would have benefitted tremendously, financially and creatively. But hindsight is 20-20. Let's not give up yet, If the bi-partisan effort to induct Yes goes into full swing again and if Rush's fan base can be motivated to support Rush's prog rock brethren, we should see Yes get back on the ballot again. This time though, it will be imperative that Rush's fan base support Rush's fellow prog rock brethren, in lieu of bands who were financially tied to them.
#43 - Posted 12/21/13 @12:52AM by Enigmaticus [contact]

The music of Kansas, specifically the song, 'Dust In The Wind' was my first introduction to the wonderful world of progressive rock. As far as Kansas' induction into the Rock & Roll Hall Of Fame is concerned, that is probably several years away. I am estimating that they might be inducted in 2019, at the earliest. I think that the inductions of: The Moody Blues, Yes, King Crimson, Jethro Tull, Gentle Giant and Styx will precede their induction.

Otherwise, I am very disappointed that only Peter Gabriel and Hall & Oates from my list of 5 nominees were inducted. I was definitely surprised that Yes, Deep Purple and The Zombies were not inducted also.
#42 - Posted 12/19/13 @12:14PM by jiminseattle [contact]

Killer tune, my fav is Miracles and Mayhem off of Masque.
#41 - Posted 12/19/13 @11:48AM by CraigJ [contact]

#40 - Agree on Kansas. "Sparks Of The Tempest" is one of my favorites.
#40 - Posted 12/18/13 @10:43PM by jiminseattle [contact]

Just an aside but I think Kansas should be inducted some day but probably never will be. The first time I saw them was in about '75 w Aerosmith and Nugent and Kansas blew them both away. I had never heard of them at the time. Then I saw the Leftoverture tour in the Paramount theatre a year or two later and they were fantastic. Now Steve can't sing anymore but they sure were amazing in the day. J
#39 - Posted 12/17/13 @10:36AM by dinoman [contact]

Hall and Oats?! WTF?
#38 - Posted 12/17/13 @10:36AM by dinoman [contact]

2014 Inductees have been announced. Yes did not make it, Kiss did. I guess Rush will not have to be conflicted as to whom to induct.
#37 - Posted 12/16/13 @3:12PM by What-A-Rush

I laugh as I write this because once I read this thread I immediately knew that 'Enigmaticus' would be THRILLED and would inevitably respond! I certainly understand why fans would be happy to see the guys in Rush induct Yes. So would I, truth be told. However, "hero worship" towards Yes notwithstanding, it could be argued that Rush inducting Kiss would be HUGE simply for the fact that BOTH Kiss and Rush have UNQUESTIONABLY been the "thorns" in the Hall's side for at least 10 years, and combine "public demand" with that, that's a LETHAL combination, in my opinion. After all, it's no coincidence that Rush, followed by Kiss this year, won the the Hall's official "fan vote" so I couldn't think of a better form of vindication towards the Hall than that, not to mention BOTH bands' detractors in general. Personally, I think that would be INCREDIBLE to witness!

Either way, I VOTED for the following:

KISS

Deep Purple

Chic

Peter Gabriel

The Replacements

Who I THINK will be inducted:

Chic

Nirvana

The Zombies

Linda Ronstadt

KISS ( LONG OVERDUE yet still crossing my fingers for a 2014 induction).

HOWEVER, as much as I'm crossing my fingers for Kiss' induction, it should be said that I'll be content if Deep Purple get the nod instead, rectifying a GLARING omission of the Hall for way too long! Can't wait to find out tomorrow!
Great comments everybody pro AND con.
#36 - Posted 12/16/13 @12:06AM by RushInHawaii [contact]

2012 was a good year for me. Got to see Yes for the first time ever, and Rush later in the year. Would love to see both again. It would be cool to see Geddy and Yes, in whatever configuration, jam at the RRHOF ceremony.
#35 - Posted 12/15/13 @9:54PM by Enigmaticus [contact]

When I had started creating my now long archived website, back in 1997, I had wanted to accomplish quite a few things:

1. Support the induction of Rush and other "prog rock," or "art rock" artists into the Rock & Roll Hall Of Fame.
2. Change everyone's perspective from Rush being classified as "heavy metal" to "progressive rock."
3. Improve the ratings on Rush albums and those recordings by other "progressive rock" artists.
4. Create an interest in progressive rock, which had previously abated, due to the onslaught of punk.

Once again, here is a link to that page:

#34 - Posted 12/15/13 @2:27PM by CraigJ [contact]

That's all I have to say.
#33 - Posted 12/15/13 @1:43PM by random_sample [contact]

My thoughts are...... I bet Geddy would feel honoured to induct Yes into the RRHOF....and....wow, even after Rush has been inducted, we still can't escape the subject of the RRHOF. yikes...
and....I know Geddy admires Chris Squire and Geddy has mentioned Yes being an influence, etc and Chris Squire is aware of Rush and likes the band (and Geddy), but...that does still leave the rest of Yes' lineup (which has changed numerous times) . Who knows ,if the rest of Yes would feel the same as Chris Squire, when it comes to Rush.
#32 - Posted 12/15/13 @12:51PM by Enigmaticus [contact]

Oops, I had forgotten Rick Wakeman. Of course, having the members of Rush and Yes perform either 'Close To The Edge,' 'Awaken,' or most probably 'Roundabout,' would be quite extraordinary.

Seeing David Coverdale and Ian Gillan on stage performing 'April,' or 'Smoke On The Water,' would be another highlight. By the way, Does David Coverdale also play piano?
#31 - Posted 12/15/13 @12:35PM by Enigmaticus [contact]

#18.

I could not agree more. Rush inducting Yes would be logical and quite appropriate.
#30 - Posted 12/15/13 @12:29PM by Enigmaticus [contact]

Yes, #27 but if they decide to induct Yes and Deep Purple, then you would probably get the members of Rush and Metallica to show up. Imagine David Coverdale, Don Airey, Geddy Lee, Chris Squire, Steve Howe, Steve Morse, Ritchie Blackmore (maybe, you never know), Alex Lifeson, James Hetfield, Neil Peart, Alan White, Lars Ulrich, Ian Paice, Bill Bruford and Jon Anderson performing at the finale. Would that not be extraordinary?
#29 - Posted 12/15/13 @12:27PM by Sean

To add to my own post I predict KISS and YES both sit it out another year. The reasons I listed are pretty legit. If you have too much star power it will draw away from the night. These things are discussed in the final voting. Personally I would love to see KISS come in on a night with Def Leppard, Bon Jovi, Yes, Chicago, and Foreigner. That would be an evening of true rock from every background. But we are getting closer to the Pearl Jam, Soundgarden, Alice In Chains and Mary J Blige/Mariah Carey shows than we are the Boston, Bad Company, Styx shows.
#28 - Posted 12/15/13 @12:21PM by Enigmaticus [contact]

#22,

Thank you. As you can see, we have lively fun debates on that site. We could always use more "progressive rock" defenders. Only one Rush song, 'Tom Sawyer' has been considered worthy of inclusion as amongst the greatest songs.overall, there are only a few Rush songs included on that site. When I asked why more Rush and "progressive rock" songs were not included, their response was because since the 1980's none of those artists have done anything noteworthy. I find this point of view to be very disheartening to say the least.
#27 - Posted 12/15/13 @12:19PM by Sean

My picks have always been on the fence but I am sticking with them anyway:

Nirvana - I think they should be forced to wait a year or 2. They made 3 records and one of them was a throw away. Yes, they changed the fabric of the definition of rock for 4 or 5 years and killed Michael Jackson and AOR Rock..but that doesn't mean they deserve first nomination. However, they are critic darlings and will get in.

Hall & Oates - Huge doesn't begin to describe their impact and catalog. Maneater, Rich Girl, Sara Smile, You've Lost That Lovin' Feeling (very popular cover), Kiss on My List, You Make My Dreams, EveryTime You Go Away, Private Eyes, I Can't Go For That (No Can Do), Did It In A Minute, Your Imagination, Adult Education, Family Man, Out of Touch, Say It Isn't So, One On One. I could list a dozen more I am sure. They should have been in there a long time ago.

Linda Ronstadt - Hits, critic darling, and has the backing of every Eagles member who said they will play her backing band if she gets in. After the dismal and I do mean dismal boring RRHOF show HBO put together last year with Heart being boring, Public Enemy and the snooze speeches, Randy Newman being treated like a God and given more songs to play than anyone else, Donna Summer's untimely death and shortened tributes, Quincy Jones talking for 35 minutes and Oprah talking forever. Rush really was the true highlight of the entire thing. It was their night only imo.

Deep Purple - The hell the committee caught last time will be re-paid and they will get in. However, they and everyone else will be overshadowed by Nirvana and they waited too long with Lord having passed away a year ago as well. These artists are getting into their late 60s and 70s and are retired or ill. Time to get the ones in there who deserve it before anyone else suddenly dies.

Peter Gabriel - A huge favorite of the Rolling Stone crowd and a huge favorite of the voting block. He will get in.

If they go 6 it will be NWA OR Chic. I say this because of 2 reasons. 1. Dr. Dre and Ice Cube are HUGE names and it means Eminem will come to the show and so will a host of high marquee names for the televised show. That in itself is the reason they will get in. NWA spawned off some pretty big careers and Jann has stated that keeping black artists in every year is important and especially with the popularity of hip-hop. Chic stands a chance only because of Nile's work with DP recently and if you get DP playing on the same show as everyone else? RATINGS MONSTER.

The hall will not make the same mistake they made last year of televising a snooze fest like they did.
#26 - Posted 12/15/13 @12:10PM by Enigmaticus [contact]

It's okay, that debate has been running for quite a while, as evinced by this post:

Congratulations, DarinRG, you have certainly made quite a convincing argument if you had only included Pink Floyd and Genesis in your argument. Then yes, Rush had certainly benefitted from Genesis' induction. However, the "prog rock" umbrella is amorphous and immense, it includes not only "progressive rock" bands, but also "art rock" bands and "psychedelic rock (pro to-prog) bands. There really is no such thing as "new wave;" it is a commercial term used to describe bands after the rise and demise of punk. Therefore the following bands are considered "progressive rock," by extension: Talking Heads (who had influenced latter day King Crimson, Genesis and Rush), Police (who had influenced Yes, Genesis and Rush), Jefferson Airplane, The Grateful Dead, Cream, The Doors, The Beatles, Traffic and yes, even Led Zeppelin. Now, if you consider all of those bands, "prog rock" is far mote prevalent in the Rock & Roll Hall Of Fame.

As far as the next bands to be considered for induction is concerned, I did not hear Genesis asking for Rush' induction.

Rush, on the other hand had called for the induction of The Moody Blues, Yes, King Crimson and Deep Purple. Rush has also alluded to Roxy Music as an influence upon Neil Peart. Peart has said "...We have never said that doesn't suit Rush; those words have never been uttered..." Roxy Music had stopped recording just after Duran Duran had released their debut album, but they had gone out on a resoundingly high note, "Avalon" is an absolute masterpiece. Unfortunately, Roxy Music does not have the widespread appeal of Duran Duran, neither does Chic. The nomination and induction of Duran Duran will eventually open the door for the inductions of Roxy Music and others later. Duran Duran had also been hated by the critics, but when did a positive "critical review," ever help sell albums. I am very proud of Duran Duran, they have had the chutzpah to focus themselves on becoming an even better band. This sounds like Rush somewhat, doesn't it?

Posted by Enigmaticus on Saturday, 05.11.13 @ 18:25pm
#25 - Posted 12/15/13 @11:59AM by jiminseattle [contact]

I didn't read that as sarcastic.