Geddy Lee shares his favorite songs in new issue of Rolling Stone

Posted on Thursday, December 5, 2013 at 10:08AM

Page 1 of 1 - 1
#19 - Posted 12/10/13 @2:56AM by Enigmaticus [contact]

#4.

While I do not disagree with your assertion that Rolling Stone magazine is not the periodical that it had been previously, I am certainly not surprised by it's more recent embracement of Rush. There certainly has been a love/hate relationship between their critics and how they have evaluated Rush's works over the past several decades. With respect to the first Rolling Stone record guide, a reviewer named Alan Niester had given Rush extremely atrocious ratings. However, in the second record guide, aka the "blue book" Rolling Stone had completely changed their perspective towards Rush. In fact, reviewer John Swenson had rated no less than 5 Rush albums with 4 star ratings: "2112," "Hemispheres," "Permanent Waves," "Moving Pictures" and "Exit... Stage Left."

Therefore a precedent had certainly been set; If Rolling Stone had wanted to embrace Rush, then they could do so at any time. Of course to much of Rush's fan base, Rolling Stone had been the enemy and every bad review had spurred Rush fans to buy more of their recordings. The end result was that Rush had become one of the most successful and revered bands amongst musicians, as well as their fan base, whereas critics had been generally contemptuous towards them.
#18 - Posted 12/6/13 @6:23PM by jiminseattle [contact]

Editing 101, focus on the correct visuals at the correct times.
#17 - Posted 12/6/13 @6:06PM by palidrummer11 [contact]

You've got to be kidding me. How could they mess that up?!?!
#16 - Posted 12/6/13 @5:03PM by jiminseattle [contact]

Yes Jackson it is true. During the explosions during the Carnies there is no focus as well as on many of Alex's solos. Sucks at least for me.
#15 - Posted 12/6/13 @4:21PM by palidrummer11 [contact]

yea thanks guys. Jupe, that's insane that your friend got it on time. good for him though. I doubt they're fixing the audio. I'm sure we would have heard something about that. That would be awesome though!
Jim, CA is in my top 3-5 all time too. Really sucks that this is getting such bad reviews. Wait, they actually panned AWAY from the pyro in Carnies??? I hope that's not what you meant! I JUST missed Carnies when I saw the theatrical version (I was late. It took me 2.5 hours to get there!!! LA really sucks sometimes). It's disappointing that they apparently did such a bad job with this amazing performance of amazing material.

Jackson
#14 - Posted 12/6/13 @12:12PM by jiminseattle [contact]

That bites Jackson! You all know I am all about Rush and Clockwork is my favorite album of all time. That being said, I am disappointed with the release. Just my humble opinion but don't like the production. Panning away from Alex's solos frequently and away from the boom boom on Carnies is weak. To all of you who love it, good for you. I am pleased you are pleased.
#13 - Posted 12/6/13 @7:45AM by jupeguyowensound [contact]

#11- That really sucks pali, I feel bad for you. A friend of mine ordered the deluxe box set and received it on Nov. 20th (as i posted earlier) which makes it even stranger that some people like yourself are having to wait for so long to get yours. Maybe they are trying to fix the audio mix on the blu-ray and dvd's before shipping the rest out? Apparently the mix on the CD's is not a problem.
#12 - Posted 12/6/13 @4:19AM by Xaromir [contact]

For some reason when I think about the Who's "My Generation", I think about half dead pensioners or children singing it - which is kind of "ehh".
#11 - Posted 12/5/13 @11:38PM by palidrummer11 [contact]

So has anyone else still not received the Deluxe Package??? I just left a long voicemail to Showtech Merch. It's almost three weeks late now.
#10 - Posted 12/5/13 @8:04PM by limlight81 [contact]

I'm surprise to read that he like BJORK Isobel very cool!
#9 - Posted 12/5/13 @7:36PM by jiminseattle [contact]

I am a huge Tull Fan. Saw them twice in the mid 70's and they put on amazing stage shows and the music was awesome. Lost interest after drummer Barriemore Barlow left the band in the mid 80's. I know, I know many of you think Doan Perry is the shit but I do not.
#8 - Posted 12/5/13 @7:18PM by Lamb Saag [contact]

I'm glad to know Geddy is a fellow Tull fan!

Similar to his experience hearing Zeppelin, I will never forget where I was and what I was doing the first time I heard the full version of T.A.A.B. (not the 3-minute radio edit). And yes, it was pure prog magic, just like he says!

#7 - Posted 12/5/13 @6:03PM by 1-2-bucklemyshoe [contact]

Regarding RS's new-found love for Rush, I will not be satisfied until I see them "on the cover of the Rolling Stone"

All together now:

Well, we're big Prog singers
We got golden fingers
And we're loved everywhere we go...(That sounds like Rush)
We sing about beauty and we sing about truth
For 40 years in a row...(Right)
We (used to) take all kinds of pills that give us all kind of thrills
But the thrill we've never known
Is the thrill that'll getcha when you get your picture
On the cover of the Rollin' Stone

Rolling Stone... gonna get my picture on the cover
Stone... gonna buy five copies for my mother
Stone...
#6 - Posted 12/5/13 @3:46PM by PLesinski [contact]

Sorry, my photo of the page had a glare - the Fleet Foxes song he is talking about is Your Protector.

Paul
#5 - Posted 12/5/13 @2:22PM by ptaylor2112 [contact]

Fleet Foxes are terrific. Check out this vid for "The Shrine / An Argument." It is kind of prog-hipster.

The rest of their stuff is mostly hipster, but cool nonetheless.
#4 - Posted 12/5/13 @12:16PM by CraigJ [contact]

Rolling Stone now seems to love Rush. Meh - RS is lame and has been since the 80's
#3 - Posted 12/5/13 @11:32AM by jiminseattle [contact]

Sweet. Love Thick as a Brick but love A Passion Play even more. Very dark and very heavy. Killer percussion.
#2 - Posted 12/5/13 @10:50AM by neverAcquiesce [contact]

Gotta love Ged getting "progger" in there.
#1 - Posted 12/5/13 @10:44AM by hannuFIN [contact]

First, at least now try:) Greetings to Ed and all RIABists from 96year old Finland tomorrow our Independence Day. First snow two days ago in the south areas. Northern parts Lapland / Santa Claus over 1 meter.