Updates and other random Rush stuff

Posted on Friday, December 6, 2013 at 12:25PM

Page 1 of 3 - 1 2 3
#43 - Posted 12/12/13 @6:48PM by SlappintheBass [contact]

Pretty bummed with the mix on the Bluray.

The overpowering strings on the old stuff is sacrilegious. Saw the show live twice and don't remember the strings being so invasive on the old 3 man classics.

Rant over.....Best live show of my long life...ever.
#42 - Posted 12/10/13 @4:07PM by joerock213 [contact]

The scandal is when are they going to release the secret video of the Test For Echo tour. 2112 in it's entirety!!!!!
#41 - Posted 12/9/13 @9:52AM by Friz [contact]

#37 "I am extremely disappointed to find out that the cd version of "Clockwork Angels Tour" has already dropped off of the charts. An abysmal 33 position on the Billboard Charts is quite unforgivable. From what I have heard thus far, I have been impressed with the cd version."

Enigmaticus, don't take what I'm about to say the wrong way, because I am a huge fan of the band and they most certainly still rock in their 60s, unlike any other band could. However, I think it's a stretch to expect their live albums to keep lasting a decent amount of time on the Billboard Charts. Given the abundance of the band's officially released live albums and the ridiculous amount of quality bootlegs out there that span decades, who is actually going to keep investing in these newer live releases especially when (and it really pains me to say this) Geddy's voice can sometimes take away from the performance.

I'll easily take the older live material where Geddy's voice is so smooth and the band's energy is off the charts versus the newer live stuff any day.
#40 - Posted 12/9/13 @8:07AM by Enigmaticus [contact]

Has anyone seen the most recent YouTube video regarding Yes' induction into the Rock & Roll Hall Of Fame?

As I had stated before, I had voted for: Yes, Deep Purple, Peter Gabriel, Hall & Oates and The Meters. There is only one day left to vote, regarding the fan vote.
#39 - Posted 12/9/13 @8:02AM by Enigmaticus [contact]

#38 - Posted 12/9/13 @8:01AM by Enigmaticus [contact]

I like the fact that Geddy Lee and Alex Lifeson have different opinions regarding the categorization of Rush's music. Geddy sees Rush as a being a "progressive rock" group, whereas Alex Lifeson unfortunately relegates Rush to the "hard rock" category.

Personally, I see Rush as being the world's greatest "progressive rock" band, period and the greatest rock group in two different centuries, with only The Beatles sitting in a higher position, number one, regarding influence.
#38 - Posted 12/9/13 @8:01AM by Enigmaticus [contact]

I like the fact that Geddy Lee and Alex Lifeson have different opinions regarding the categorization of Rush's music. Geddy sees Rish as a "progressive rock" group, while Alex Lifeson unfortunately relegates them to the "hard rock" category.

#37 - Posted 12/9/13 @7:53AM by Enigmaticus [contact]

Regarding the BluRay version: I think that the documentary is great and most of the performances on the disc itself are outstanding. As far as the sound is concerned, I have been having some issues with hiss on my left speaker, while playing it in the standard version, however this is most likely attributable to a bad cable. When using the 5.1 format, that problem disappears, although the instruments do not appear to have the greatest definition. Unfortunately, the song which appears to have the most notable hiss is 'The Garden.'

Most of the other songs are fantastic, however.
#36 - Posted 12/9/13 @12:10AM by drummerboy2112

So almost 3 weeks with the blu ray.

I have a few systems in my home, one a theater room that's 7.2 and our family room that has an installed in wall/ceiling 5.1 system. The 5.1 corrected almost all the faults that I found. Not sure if losing 2 speakers made up for it, ie sending the cymbal and snare sounds to the front speakers, but I hear everything a bit better. Not totally perfect, but def listenable. This follows the line that if I keep removing speakers, down to 2 (ear buds) then the signal containing all the instrumentation will be easily sent either left or right. The most obvious sounds that cut through the best are all of Neil's electronics (synthetic), Ged's keyboards (synthetic), and the guitar (with all his effects, basically synthetic). The bass guitar destroys my rooms even flatlined, so I roll off some bass to make it more palatable.

After a few more listens, and views, the video cuts are not as drastic once the sound improves.

I got the DVD, and it seems to be more clear.

The mix is still the rate limiting factor and needs to be addressed, but I would recommend watching the blu ray or dvd firstly thru just your TV speakers or 2.0, and add speakers per your personal preference.

My rec to the boys:

1) Forgo the loudness war - Over the past 10 years, Ged is trying to keep up his volume, bless his heart, and something usually gives. Either his will to sing or control and strength of his voice (or both). He used to sing with tremendous economy on stage. He began using pre-amps (SansAmp PSA-1 since TFE 1996) that BOOST!! his sound greatly and that has changed the overall tone of the bass. Also, the in-ears (starting in 2002) could also be affecting how he thinks he should sound and exert. Try talking to someone with cotton in your ears and they are going to quickly tell you to stop shouting! lol, That being said, he still sounds good (to me) and he nailed the ending of Grand Designs every time I saw them and on the video. Neil's drums (DW since TFE 1996) are (to me anyways), WAY louder and boomier than the past Ludwigs and Tamas, ie greater volume. That boominess is fighting for space with Ged's bass. This only serves to occupy just enough more frequencies at the lower end, to affect the overall sound. Also listen to The Body Electric and The Garden during the verses on the video, the overall sound of the band KILLS! So damn pleasant, I could listen to these verses, all day.

But to be fair, to be on the road, is HIGHLY demanding psychologically (we know the physical toll) so I love the boys and crew giving it all they have on stage and this video shows it (again).
#35 - Posted 12/8/13 @4:51PM by warrencromartie [contact]

Jupeguy. Great point. Also, listen to another album Geddy produced-"No Static" by Wireless. Geddy did a great job on that album. A very live sound to the album. Too bad he didn't produce the C&A live DVD.
#34 - Posted 12/8/13 @12:38PM by jupeguyowensound [contact]

#33 I've never heard of "Clean Slate" but I'm going to check into it and see what I can find. Thanks
#33 - Posted 12/8/13 @12:04PM by random_sample [contact]

#32- I never ended up hearing anything by Boys Brigade, but I remember reading in a few articles back then, about Geddy producing them. You reminded me about another band, Alex produced in the late 80's..I think they were called Clean Slate. I had the cassette of that album and it was pretty good. That cassette is long gone, now, but I remember liking it and I think Alex played guitar on a few of the songs.
On a somewhat unrelated note..I would love to see Geddy do some solo work again, along the lines of My favourite headache.
#32 - Posted 12/8/13 @11:05AM by jupeguyowensound [contact]

I really wish itunes would make available the Geddy Lee produced album from a Toronto group called "Boys Brigade" 1983 I think. I used to have it on cassette but it got munched years ago. They were a cool group, only released the one album though. I actually saw them when they played a local highschool (30 frickin years ago) and they were really good. It was synth based new wave type stuff but it was great for me being a drummer as they had one drummer and two percussionists in the group. Songs like "Melody","Africa","The Passion of Love" and "Into The Flow" come to mind. Anyone else remember these guys?
Also I was just listening to "The Stampeders- Backstage Pass" live album recorded in 1974 at Ontario Place, Toronto and the drums and mix are fine. 1974. Wonder if Terry Brown worked on this album?I know he worked with them before.1974 people.Oh and did I mention this live album came out in 1974!!!!
40 years later and drums get lost in a mix!! Pitiful.
#31 - Posted 12/8/13 @9:04AM by jaeger [contact]

I wonder whether the boys know about this brilliant young, fellow Canadian musician with science geek lyrics? link
#30 - Posted 12/7/13 @3:20PM by broughttoyoubytheletterj [contact]

#18
Ha! tells me all I need/to/know.
#29 - Posted 12/7/13 @3:17PM by Rob [contact]

Sorry that was freewill not CTTH
#28 - Posted 12/7/13 @3:10PM by Rob [contact]

I have to laugh when people see bad editing. There's some on ESL, when Alex plays the final chord to CTTH he's got a different guitar

Same on ASOH Alex breaks a string at the end of Tom Sawyer. So during the 2112 overture you can cleary see alternate shots of him with the white signature and the black one.

I suppose this is geeking out a bit, but its noticeable.
#27 - Posted 12/7/13 @1:22PM by rushsaga

(I know I am gonna get a lot of heat for that last comment, but it is how I feel after being a Rush fan for over 30 years)
#26 - Posted 12/7/13 @1:19PM by rushsaga

I am a bit disappointed in that Rush has strayed from its original Ayn Rand Libertarian Principles and have slowly adopted, over the years, what they call a Left Libertarian-ism ideal. More so over the last decade with their "Capitalist Cash Cow" Concert CDs, DVDs, etc....In many cases it is a rehash of older music which provide them with additional cash flow (a Capitalistic Characteristic) so there is some sort of hypocritical aspect to this.

Of course they lend their name/time to various charities for which I applaud them, but their original principles as shown during their first 10 years and which topped-out with Moving Pictures/Permanent Waves & Signals have slowly died down and their individualistic ideals are only partly found in their criticism of Religious influences, but not Big Government and those in the position of influence (Corporations and Unions). I do like some of the new material (The Wreckers, The Garden) but most of it does not have the same authentic lyrical genuineness as before.
#25 - Posted 12/7/13 @1:18PM by jiminseattle [contact]

Just put in Pearl Jam Touring Band 2000 and the sound is amazing. I have my Yammy stereo turned up a quarter of the way and it is vastly superior to CA. How hard is it? I will say it again, I love Rush but man this is blowing me away. Broken record, I know. Need to get over it.
#24 - Posted 12/7/13 @12:40PM by Doom2112 [contact]

#19, You forgot about the main piece of bad editing in ESL. During Freewill after the line '...still have made a choice'. When Neil plays the fill his black vest is missing. It's only off for that shot. It's weird because the fill seems to fit. But it's obviously from another song.

There's a couple others from GUP but we won't go there right now. ;)