Rush's Tom Sawyer featured on ESPN Radio's Mike and Mike show

Posted on Wednesday, November 27, 2013 at 4:27PM

Page 1 of 3 - 1 2 3
#44 - Posted 11/29/13 @7:08AM by winstontizzer [contact]

Not sure if this is off topic or where the thread discussing the CA release is but what a pile of shit it is. The drums sound like they are under a carpet at the bottom of the sea. I was so looking forward to this but its a aural carbuncle on a grand magnitude. Whatever possessed them to authorise this release is beyond me. I have watched it once and I think that is enough. I can only conclude that they dont care what crap is released. Unbelievable
#43 - Posted 11/28/13 @6:58PM by jiminseattle [contact]

jackson, always great to hear from you.

Off to the relatives for much Turkey. All the best to you all today.
#42 - Posted 11/28/13 @6:34PM by palidrummer11 [contact]

Wow I just realized how embarrassingly long my last post was... I was putting off writing my college essays this morning, and then that happened. Sorry about that.
About to leave for my grandparents' house for dinner. Happy Thanksgiving everyone!! And to whoever else is celebrating, Happy Haukkah!!

Jackson
#41 - Posted 11/28/13 @5:42PM by musicofthespheres [contact]

THANKS ED!
#40 - Posted 11/28/13 @5:39PM by jiminseattle [contact]

Well put 39, I think the DVD sounds fine as well with my old Yamaha receiver.
#39 - Posted 11/28/13 @5:36PM by grauw013

I'm glad to see everybody's got something to bitch about on Thanksgiving.
Out here in the Netherlands, the DVD sounds absolutely fabulous on my old school Bang & Olufsen receiver. 2.0 . Bass, drums, guitar, strings, everything present and accounted for.

But somebody will undoubtedly tell me they still fucked up. Or my set up sucks. Or my ears. Or my nationality. Or my political views.

Playing The Wreckers now. Sounds incredibly great.
#38 - Posted 11/28/13 @5:28PM by jiminseattle [contact]

TAMA for me. Never played DW's so couldn't comment.
#37 - Posted 11/28/13 @5:20PM by hannuFIN [contact]

Also "the born again jesus muppet the animal" Tommy Clutefos (Black Sabbath, saw last week and one year ago) and one of my all time personal top faves Scott Travis (the mighty Judas Priest, saw last year also), they both do use DW nowadays.
#36 - Posted 11/28/13 @4:26PM by broughttoyoubytheletterj [contact]

So glad to have been able to see them outdoors at the Battlegrounds last summer
It's been the only way to experience the way CwA's supposed to sound...
#35 - Posted 11/28/13 @4:03PM by palidrummer11 [contact]

And Denny Crane, why have we never talked before?!?!?!?!?!
DMB is reallllllly close to being tied with Rush for my favorite band! UTTAD is one of my all time faves too. I've never met you, but you're awesome.
#34 - Posted 11/28/13 @4:00PM by palidrummer11 [contact]

I got cut off...

And I do agree that they are playing better than ever. Watching them live twice this tour, I was actually blown away by how smooth and graceful his fingers are on the bass. I've never seen that from him before. Give him a break, he just wants to slappa da bass.

Ok, that should hold me over for a couple months haha. Sorry for such a long post. I just wanted to get all my ideas out, so I can go back to writing college apps!!!!! Happy Thanksgiving, everybody!!

Jackson
#33 - Posted 11/28/13 @4:00PM by palidrummer11 [contact]

I haven't written a long post on here for a while, so here are my thoughts... Get ready, this is going to be REALLY long...

First, Showtech Merchandising/UPS need to get it together. I STILL haven't gotten my Deluxe Package!!! It's over a week late. So while all of you are complaining about/praising the new DVD, I still haven't seen any of it other than The Garden preview and what I saw in the theater (but that didn't give a me really good chance to judge the entire DVD).

Also, I love DW Drums. There's a reason why nearly EVERYBODY plays them. Of course, a lot of Neil's contemporaries (Keith Moon, Bonham, Ian Paice, Stuart Copeland, etc.) don't/didn't play DW. But today, everyone is playing them. I'm a little biased, because I have a DW set, but I think they sound great for what Rush is doing today. Dave Grohl, Tony Royster Jr., Roger Taylor (of Queen!!!), Alex Acuna, Terry Bozzio, Jimmy Chamberlin, Peter Erskine, Thomas Pridgen, all play DW. The list goes on and on and on. I'm a drummer as well (obviously), so I could talk about this forever, but I'll get back to Rush. Sorry for the tangent.

I have no idea how the new DVD sounds, but if it does sound absolutely terrible, I'll be in the crowd that is disappointed with the quality/mix, but more focused on the performance. It does seem like a slightly missed opportunity if the boys were so on fire this tour, but the ONE official documentation of the tour has sub-par audio/video quality. After the huge disappointment with Live in Cleveland (you can't blame Geddy though. He was sick), I was hoping that this would be up there with one of their greatest live DVDs ever. I honestly doubt that I'll mind the sound quality very much, but it would be nice if they had completely hit this one out of the park. This is just a stupid guess, but my assumption is that maybe they were trying to make Geddy sound as good as possible for this one, considering his performance on the Time Machine DVD, and the drum sound possibly suffered because of that. I could be totally wrong, but it's just a thought, because from what I saw in the theater, Ged sounded AWESOME. And to be honest, for the general viewer (a non-hardcore Rush fan like us), Geddy's singing is going to be the first thing you notice. Most people just pay attention to the singer, and have no idea what's going on in the background, most of the time. I don't know enough about who's who in the mixing world (specifically Rush's mixing world), but I hope next time they find someone who will satisfy most of the people on here. And I remember reading on here that someone said the S&A Live recording was amazing, but somewhat lacked the "live" energy. So maybe there is a trade-off. Idk...

And regarding the whole stage props, videos, etc., I love it. It's one of the things that makes Rush Rush. I was very disappointed with the gnome videos this time around, but I appreciated the effort. The Sausage Haus was absolutely hilarious. I wish they did more stuff like that. The gnome thing was only funny because it was Geddy, Alex, and Neil dressed up. The Time Machine videos were funny because there were actually HILARIOUS jokes in them. And don't get me started on the Paul Rudd/Jason Segal video.. I still crack up watching that!
I think the stage props are cool, but as someone said a looong time ago on this site, it felt like there was something missing on this tour. I sort of agree. Maybe it was Alex's side of the stage. He could have had a little more stuff there. But it seems as if Rush is never going back to having amps on stage, and we have to accept that. I don't know what that means in terms of sound/performance/the technology of everything, but I still think it's cool and clever. The boys are getting older, and I think they're also trying to just act sillier, which I think is good. They realize they are in the last part of their amazing careers, and are trying to have as much fun with it as possible. I think the stage props and videos would be a little weird if this was 1981, and they were all young men. But to see a bunch of (relatively) older men put on gnome outfits (although it was sort of a swing and a miss with this tour's videos) and play in front of popcorn machines, THEN blow everybody away with their musicianship (unmatched by MOST musicians who are half their age) is truly special, and uniquely Rush.

And you can't blame Geddy for wanting to make his job a little easier, by sampling/triggering stuff more. Haven't they been doing that for years?? It's a hard truth to accept, but his health is essentially the deciding factor in Rush's future, in my opinion. He has the hardest job up there, even Neil has said so. If/when we see them in 2015, I won't at all be surprised if a 62-year old Geddy won't want to free himself up a little more by sampling stuff. It's not like he CAN'T do it all, its just that he is a bass player above everything, and wants to play the bass as much as possible. And I do agree that
#32 - Posted 11/28/13 @3:46PM by CraigJ [contact]

Here's mine:

Rush - Signals
Rush - Exit Stage Left
Rachmaninoff - Piano Concerto No. 2
Tchaikovsky - Symphony No. 5
Rush - Hemispheres
#31 - Posted 11/28/13 @3:42PM by isthatmysandwich [contact]

I am very grateful that Rush are still recording and touring...gnomes, light show gimmicks and all. There are some issues regarding sound quality on some of the products but I'd much rather have than have not. Who knows, maybe somewhere down the road the Clockwork Angels dvd/bluray and studio cd may be remixed and we'll still get the negative comments.
Anyway, my top 5 non-Rush albums would be (in no particular order) :-

Steven Wilson - The Raven That Refused To Sing
Porcupine Tree - Fear Of A Blank Planet
Pink Floyd - The Wall
Free - Free Live
Joe Bonamassa - Live From Nowhere In Particular
#30 - Posted 11/28/13 @3:34PM by jiminseattle [contact]

Nice list and no hatin Denny. Saw Alanis in the day and her band rocked with Taylor from Foo Fighters behind the kit.
#29 - Posted 11/28/13 @3:24PM by Denny Crane [contact]

My top five studio albums of all time would be something along this line, in no particular order:

Pink Floyd - DSOTM
Rush - Moving Pictures
Dave Matthews Band - Under The Table and Dreaming
Jeff Buckley - Grace
Marillion - Misplaced Childhood

If I were allowed to pick LIVE albums it would be a lot harder.

A top ten list would include the following:

Led Zeppelin - Zoso (4)
Led Zeppelin - Physical Graffiti
Genesis - Foxtrot
Alanis Morrisette - Jagged Little Pill (Don't hate)
Pink Floyd - The Wall
#28 - Posted 11/28/13 @2:35PM by jiminseattle [contact]

This may cause quite the stir but I was just thinking of what my top 5 favorite albums of all time are. Rush is my favorite band but the other four are quite close in stature. These albums to me are all very drum heavy. In no particular order.

Quadrophenia
Clockwork Angels (I know, I know...not everyones favorite Rush by any stretch)
Physical Graffiti
A Passion Play (very progressive and amazing percussion)
Binaural (Pearl Jam and Matt Cameron rocks)

Gobble Gobble!
#27 - Posted 11/28/13 @2:01PM by musicofthespheres [contact]

yeah, don't get carried away, MG :) There seems to be some agreement that there are and have been systemic issues with sound recording/mixing/mastering, but that's all that's really happening here.
#26 - Posted 11/28/13 @12:47PM by driventotheedge [contact]

I am thankful that Rush puts as much as possible into their live shows.
videos, stage props, lights etc.

As for losing it, I really cannot comment on such remarks'

Thanks again to Rush for their Tour videos
#25 - Posted 11/28/13 @11:38AM by jiminseattle [contact]

Right on Cagster, the Hawks will whale!!!

Jupe, love me some Godsmack. They are righteous. I'm Alive, for you I'm awake.