Pandora Premieres streaming the COMPLETE audio from Rush's Clockwork Angels Tour

Posted on Wednesday, November 13, 2013 at 9:18AM

Page 1 of 4 - 1 2 3 4
#62 - Posted 11/16/13 @10:08PM by eshine [contact]

@deslock

> I think Clockwork Angels ranks up there with Power Windows and Moving Pictures as Rush's finest work. The title track and Headlong Flight are as good as any Rush song.

I could not agree more!

> Yes. I saw many shows on the tour and have streamed the Pandora preview a few times through.

I'm surprised you don't have a more favorable view of his live voice, but we all view things differently.
#61 - Posted 11/15/13 @7:25PM by deslock [contact]

> #48 - Posted 11/15/13 @10:59AM by dan81b
> their soundwriting is so different today (starting with Vapor Trails)
> compared to the golden years and masterpieces of the 70s, 80s and early 90s.
> #49 - Posted 11/15/13 @11:14AM by dan81b
> Having said that, I enjoy Vapor Trails as an artistic statement and some
> tracks work better than others. Counterparts was their last masterpiece but
> VT has merit too. Snakes less so and Clockwork even less so.
> But we always have the old albums to come back to and enjoy. When Geddy's
> voice was pristine and Neil's lyrics stayed with you ;)

It's always been amusing that Rush fans have such differing opinions.

I rank Snakes and Arrows alongside Permanent Waves and Hemispheres as tier 2 albums. Counterparts and Vapor Trails are in tier 3 with Signals.

To me, those 9 albums are Rush's standouts. A Farewell to Kings, 2112, and Roll the Bones are pretty good too.

To each his own.
#60 - Posted 11/15/13 @7:22PM by deslock [contact]

> #52 - Posted 11/15/13 @3:00PM by eshine
> Nothing delusional about my comments at all. Geddy Lee is a solid and
> consistant rock singer with great technique who has done a remarkable job
> maintaining his voice.
> That voice is the reason they can still do what they do.
> Did you even listen to the show?

#59 - Posted 11/15/13 @7:11PM by jiminseattle [contact]

So true Craig, but are they really like assholes? Schpincters.....whatevers....
#58 - Posted 11/15/13 @6:59PM by CraigJ [contact]

And that, ladies and gentlemen, are why they are called opinions.

And now, Mr. Conway Twitty: link
#57 - Posted 11/15/13 @6:31PM by jiminseattle [contact]

CA followed by The Anarchist (one of my five favorite tunes of all time by any band) followed by The Carnies is just like a punch in the face. Those three tunes kick ass and the rest of the CD does not leave me wanting anything. Caravan can be disjointed and has some wild signature changes but to me that is what makes is genius. I have seen all these opinions before about new vs. old material. No one is wrong and no one right at least to me. Just personal preferences. I love the music of the old Rush but the high pitched singing, not so much.
#56 - Posted 11/15/13 @6:08PM by eshine [contact]

#55 - have you listened to all of Clockwork Angels or just Caravan? Lol - Clockwork Angels ranks among their finest work - some of Neil's most concise lyrics in years and easily some of Geddys best melodies. The Anarchist alone answers every one of your complaints.
#55 - Posted 11/15/13 @4:54PM by dan81b [contact]

Interesting to discuss and hear varying opinions. To me Caravan is a patchwork of a song and indicative of the new Rush where one struggles to find consistent melodies and memorable vocal lines. "I can't stop thinking big" indeed. Add the "wall of sound" approach they've employed for quite a few albums now and I long for the time when each new Rush album was a new departure for them, CP completely different to RTB/Presto, which in turn were very different from HYF, different from PW etc. Granted I'm talking 20+ years ago, but still. To me, Clockwork Angels has little in common with the Rush debut -> CP collection of albums.

And then we have Geddy's "new" voice as mentioned, where what can only be described as a "whining" sound appears as soon as he goes higher in the register. Makes them for a very different Rush experience. His vocal abilities were such a huge contributing factor in the emotion they conveyed back then. Add Neil's lyrics back then which were much more memorable and profound. The whole package was just stronger.
#54 - Posted 11/15/13 @3:58PM by jiminseattle [contact]

Ah the back and forth, fun stuff and enlightening. Caravan is a classic to me as well as the whole Clockwork CD. That is me and as I have said many times before this is what makes the Rush world go round.
#53 - Posted 11/15/13 @3:50PM by dan81b [contact]

The songs you mention are classics. Caravan? Not really :)
#52 - Posted 11/15/13 @3:00PM by eshine [contact]

#47 Nothing delusional about my comments at all. Geddy Lee is a solid and consistant rock singer with great technique who has done a remarkable job maintaining his voice.

That voice is the reason they can still do what they do.

Did you even listen to the show?

#48, 49 - you like old Rush and wish "new" Rush was old Rush complete with shiny vocals.

This is a debate that's been ongoing for about 35 years lol
#51 - Posted 11/15/13 @2:38PM by marty from clayton [contact]

Yes, #49 dan81b - "I can't stop thinking big" x41 can't hold a candle to the golden years when you had "big money" x41 or "Everybody got to deviate/elevate from the norm" x41 or "closer to the heart" x41 or "he plays fast forward ... he's a digital man" x41.
#50 - Posted 11/15/13 @11:39AM by jiminseattle [contact]

I am probably in the minority here but I enjoy Geds voice now more than ever and from Counterparts on. Is it as strong as it used to be, of course not but the maturity works for me. Just my humble opinion.
#49 - Posted 11/15/13 @11:14AM by dan81b [contact]

Having said that, I enjoy Vapor Trails as an artistic statement and some tracks work better than others. Counterparts was their last masterpiece but VT has merit too. Snakes less so and Clockwork even less so.

But we always have the old albums to come back to and enjoy. When Geddy's voice was pristine and Neil's lyrics stayed with you ;)

Now it's more or less "I can't stop thinking big" x 41. Very far removed from the Rush of old.
#48 - Posted 11/15/13 @10:59AM by dan81b [contact]

#47 is right here. It is what it is. Me? I like Geddy's prisitine vocals, captured up on their albums up until Counterparts circa. There was a change already by Vapor Trails and that was more than 10 years now.

His voice pretty much sounds completely different today. The former voice was the reason I fell in love with them and the current voice the reason why I'm struggling with them.

That and the fact that their soundwriting is so different today (starting with Vapor Trails) compared to the golden years and masterpieces of the 70s, 80s and early 90s.
#47 - Posted 11/15/13 @6:59AM by deslock [contact]

> #44 - Posted 11/14/13 @8:36PM by eshine
> his 60 year old singing voice is perhaps Rush's greatest asset. His voice is powerful,
> he has great control and an impressive range.
> {snip}
> Geddy Lee has grown to be one of the best live singers in rock music today.

No offense, but those comments are delusional.

He sounds good on many of the preview tracks (especially on songs with mellow vocals) while at other times he's straining and misses notes (even though he sings in a lower register). He's starting to sound a bit raspy as well.

That's not a criticism of him. He tries his best to preserve his voice (restrictive diet, not much speaking during the day, no back-to-back dates, etc), but he's old and years of touring have taken their toll.

There's no way he could sound better at this point. It is what it is.
#46 - Posted 11/15/13 @3:33AM by eshine [contact]

#45 - There is no need to patronize. I made my points clearly and backed them up sufficiently. Yes, Geddys voice has changed with age. This hasn't been dramatic at all - in fact, it's been progressive and he has been able to adapt with great skill.

The only thing "dramatic" has been the over the top reaction as demonstrated by many of the posts here.

I just listened to then entire stream- sounded like a kick ass Rush show with a great live vocal performance.
#45 - Posted 11/15/13 @1:21AM by dan81b [contact]

@44: It is possible to be a devoted fan and still notice that Geddy's voice has changed dramatically and not for the better.
#44 - Posted 11/14/13 @8:36PM by eshine [contact]

The constant complaining about Ged's singing has become rather trite at this point. Listening to the criticism this man receives by some of his very own fans, one would think he was out there making a fool of himself night after night. It's gotten beyond regular "discussion". If he so much as flubs a note, or doesn't reach those high notes with the ease of a 25 year old - it's like an earth shattering disaster.

#20 even said his voice has become a "liability"

This is entirely untrue.

On the contrary, his 60 year old singing voice is perhaps Rush's greatest asset. His voice is powerful, he has great control and an impressive range. There are moments in the show where he has the audience totally captivated, whether it's the quiet delivery of Halo effect or the balls out wail of Headlong Flight. Most importantly - he is able to consistently perform decades worth of material night after night, allowing the band to continue at a remarkable level that we have come to take for granted.

Sure, age has roughened the edges. His singing is more guttural, less nasally. There's a creak or flub here and there. He has to work for some notes that he didn't used to when he was young.

Is that really a deal breaker?

Geddy Lee has grown to be one of the best live singers in rock music today. Rather then destroy his instrument, age has given depth and character to an already unique voice. Based on this stream, Clockwork Angels Live is going to be a vocal showcase any singer of his caliber should be proud of.
#43 - Posted 11/14/13 @12:31PM by rsh2112 [contact]

I think Geddy sounds decent, considering he's a 60-year old man who's been touring like crazy over the past six years. Granted, I think he tries too hard to hit some high notes sometimes, but I think as a whole, Rush as a band has played better over the past five years than they ever have. I'm wondering though, if the days of hearing songs like Freewill and Red Barchetta are over. Geddy hit the high notes in those songs decently enough on the Time Machine tour, but not sure if he can do them again.

And whoever thought the Time Machine tour was unnecessary, you're crazy! Those types of tours are the best ones, where they don't have a new album to promote, and can just go through their entire catalog and play some of their classics, similar to the R30 tour.