New Neil Peart news update at NeilPeart.net

Posted on Saturday, November 9, 2013 at 9:25AM

Page 1 of 8 - 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
#158 - Posted 11/16/13 @6:43AM by dan81b [contact]

Out of curiousity, ìf one was to drive from LA, how long would you expect Neil's road trip to take in total? The scenery seems pretty spectacular so I'm tempted to take it myself.
#157 - Posted 11/14/13 @7:01PM by jiminseattle [contact]

Hi Lisa,

How the heck are ya? Excited for anything and everything Rush.

Guess the thread is far from dead, I stand corrected.

Laters
#156 - Posted 11/14/13 @5:26PM by musicofthespheres [contact]

"incontestably true" kinda brought the thread full circle. "too funny".
#155 - Posted 11/14/13 @4:57PM by lisah [contact]

Jim, good to hear a familiar a"friendly voice". Hope you are as excited as I am for the upcoming releases of next week.Enjoy, my friend.

Jupe,glad to hear that you are also ready for next weeks big opening. Thankfully with Rush we don't have to suffer through any "red carpet"bullshit. Just get down to the business at hand....rocking with the best band and best fans in the world!

KJ, You are supposed to be "underground" until Monday. Go finish that banner sister I'm going to need some great pics!LOL! Like the Ged from the Cincey show! Sweet!

Rush On!
#154 - Posted 11/14/13 @1:41PM by jiminseattle [contact]

They are generally ahead of the curve aren't they.
#153 - Posted 11/14/13 @1:35PM by jupeguyowensound [contact]

Whenever I have "technology" problems like that I just call for the kids!
#152 - Posted 11/14/13 @1:25PM by jiminseattle [contact]

Hey Jupe,

Doing great, it is raining....big surprise! Yeah the DVD will be killer. I can't figure out how to hook my dvd player up to my Yamaha receiver to get the best sound. I am not a technophile that way. Is that a word? Later man.
#151 - Posted 11/14/13 @1:21PM by jupeguyowensound [contact]

Doin' ok Jim. Looking forward to the DVD and the back and forth that will ensue! How's yourself out there in Seattle?
#150 - Posted 11/14/13 @1:03PM by jiminseattle [contact]

Well spoken tintin. "He is much less interesting now than he used to be." No shit.

Jupe, how are ya man?
#149 - Posted 11/14/13 @9:30AM by Tintin [contact]

Some thoughts about all this, which strike me as very difficult to deny, if not incontestably true.

1. Neil is himself, then and now. He writes to express himself. He's not wondering, "How am I going to come off to my fans? If I say what I think, how will this affect my image?" In this respect--if *only* in this respect--the NP of 1981 is utterly continuous (not identical, of course) with NP of 2013. He doesn't really care what his fans think.

2. "He doesn't really care what his fans think." This is no small part of why we like him. We know we're not in the presence of a politician, trying to craft and burnish his image. To use one of NP's favorite words, he has *integrity*.

3. He is much less interesting now than he used to be. Both what he says, and how he says it, are very easy to predict. He writes about the same few topics, in the same ways. Increasingly, he lacks the capacity to surprise.

4. While he has some literary talent, and writes lyrics that do repay careful attention, he's not a nuanced thinker. Then and now, shades of grey do not come easily to the man He has passion, and expresses himself with passion. Often this is the passion of indignation, directed at those whom he deplores.

5. He is not self-critical--at least, not in his public voice. He is, however, self-congrulatory. He's quick to observe that he does not exemplify this or that nasty and generally widespread tendency. He loves to credit himself with feats of moral maturity. If a hint of self-criticism does seep in, it typically assumes the form of contrasting a past self which had traces of a certain vice (e.g. envy) with his present self, which has learned to be blissfully free from any such vice.

6.Once upon a time, I thought he was immeasurably fascinating. Now I don't. But he still does have a certain joie de vivre, as well as the integrity mentioned above, so that he does genuinely express himself--or at least, who he genuinely thinks he is. That's got to count for something.
#148 - Posted 11/14/13 @7:14AM by jupeguyowensound [contact]

PiDuBra, boltfromtheblue,supermegaubergenius. Don't you have anything better to do?
#147 - Posted 11/13/13 @11:17PM by jiminseattle [contact]

KJ!!! How are ya?

the heartburn is gone. :)
#146 - Posted 11/13/13 @11:04PM by PiDuBra [contact]

Sometimes we fight sometimes we freeze

sometimes we are frozen in the moment.

WE ALL NEED TWO YEARS OFF.

see y'all at R42

~into the night, sometimes we eye shine against the crowdedness

caught up in a red light law like poor brute. come to the free country and don't worry about stupid cancer anymore. They have holograms and lazers and undergliders and ubermen for that now, so individual freedom is dead, and mandates are in. it's OK, cornered beast (aka conquering Hero)
#145 - Posted 11/13/13 @10:49PM by kjbird [contact]

Simon-weather is only frosty in the am, beautiful fall weather otherwise.

PiDuBra- I dig your post...haven't followed this entire thread though, now i'm curious. Good Churchill quote and ditto on the "taking care of business with the barricade" yeah - like tell them they can't pass through.

Jiminseattle-hey man, how's it going :-)
#144 - Posted 11/13/13 @10:02PM by jiminseattle [contact]

I need a tums. :>)
#143 - Posted 11/13/13 @9:55PM by PiDuBra [contact]

You've got a point there.
I usually cover mine up with a king tut elongated head dunce cap.
Everyone knows.
#142 - Posted 11/13/13 @9:54PM by jiminseattle [contact]

Oh and I am a Scorpio.
#141 - Posted 11/13/13 @9:51PM by jiminseattle [contact]

Why do you feel the need to antagonize me over a pointless point? Can't we all just get along? Your posts on the other threads are thoughtful.
#140 - Posted 11/13/13 @9:40PM by PiDuBra [contact]

Stupid cancer.
#139 - Posted 11/13/13 @9:33PM by PiDuBra [contact]

Don't vhatever me darlng.
Denny Crane link