Happy 35th anniversary Hemispheres!

Posted on Tuesday, October 29, 2013 at 6:49AM

Page 1 of 4 - 1 2 3 4
#63 - Posted 11/2/13 @8:40PM by Enigmaticus [contact]

You are very welcome #59,

I have been accused by my colleagues as being a "prog snob," a moniker which I would not necessarily agree with.

Perhaps the problem with "prog purists" is the fact that they need to hear 10 minute plus complicated pieces to declare them "prog." Of course, acknowledging "Power Windows" as a great "art rock" album, now places bands, such as Duran Duran entirely within the "art rock" sphere.

Well even to detractors like Jerry Lucky, this is an anathema. So, they tend to dismiss mid 1980's thru late 1990's Rush as "pop" not "prog." Jerry Ewing, fortunately had a different opinion, he said that "everything that Rush does is progressive." as far as I am concerned, he has hit the nail on the head on that one!
#62 - Posted 11/2/13 @2:41PM by 1357

Such a HEAVY album!When I simply want to hear RUSH musically this is a TOP selection. To have been there for the live tour! I was only eight then. Man oh man!
#61 - Posted 11/1/13 @12:49PM by audiorushphile [contact]

and i have to agree with your comment on alex's sound--especially that first solo in Dionysus--'to find out what they have LOST" """"""""""""""""""""""""" nothing like it. and of course, the sound of the ultimate masterpiece, SideB Track 3.
#60 - Posted 11/1/13 @12:37PM by audiorushphile [contact]

RushEsq, thank you for your feedback.
#59 - Posted 10/31/13 @4:56PM by What-A-Rush

'Enigmaticus', to your comment regarding 'Power Windows' (#36) it's interesting that you place it under the category of "art rock". I'm not sure that many prog "purists" would agree- although I certainly could be wrong- with your assessment. Be that as it may, I think that it's one of the BEST Rush albums EVER, and arguably contains Neil's greatest songwriting of his career. Frankly, if 'Moving Pictures' didn't exist, 1985's 'Power Windows' would be THE quintessential Rush album, which is saying A LOT!

Excellent production, brilliant lyrics, and masterful, yet tasteful, instrumentation are what make 'Power Windows' the true ( and HIGHLY underrated) MASTERPIECE that it is! FIVE STARS! Always a pleasure to read your commentary on your passion for all things PROG! Great comment. Thanks RIAB!
#58 - Posted 10/31/13 @4:23PM by What-A-Rush

To answer the question posed by 'Enigmaticus' (#32) I resonate the most with letter 'C'. I'm more than content to consider Rush "progressive hard rock". In my opinion, that's what separates Rush from the bands who influenced them. While I'll openly acknowledge that I'm not a prog "purist", I think that some of the progressive bands miss the mark when it comes to the SONGS. I certainly admire the emphasis on musicianship, but when all is said and done, technical proficiency means nothing if the songs suffer as a result. Overall, Rush never forgot the importance of the SONG, which is ultimately the reason why they continue to thrive AND survive as long as they have and the WAY they have. The same cannot be said about some of their "heroes",or "contemporaries", for that matter. My opinion, mind you.

Since we're all discussing 'Hemispheres' my view is a little different. Personally, I think side 2 is FAR SUPERIOR to side 1. I think they tried a little too hard to top side 1 of '2112' and ultimately fell short. Frankly, it proved to me that more ISN'T always better. As it turned out, they proved that with 'Permanent Waves' which again, in my opinion, is a better album for that reason alone. All that said, I can certainly understand why 'Hemispheres' is revered by MANY in the Rush fan base, especially first generation fans who bought it at or around the time of it's initial release. Good album AND great comments everybody! Thanks RIAB!
#57 - Posted 10/31/13 @2:57PM by RushEsq [contact]

I consider Hemispheres to be Rush's greatest work, undoubtedly my all-time favorite album by anyone. This was the pinnacle of their prog rock era. Similar to one of the other posters, I started to get into them in the early to mid 80's and started working my way back through their catalog. When I got to Hemispheres, much like Apollo, I "was astonished." I adore all the songs on the album, but I can remember listening to just Book II over and over again, thinking to myself - how did 3 guys make such a sonic masterpiece? This has to be Alex's best sound of any album, it's almost like a trademark sound.

Anyone else have The Tour of the Hemispheres bootleg from Oslo, Norway? I'll have to check out the Detroit sound board one - wow, what a dream set that would be to hear today.

#43 - I got the SACD but I don't actually have a SACD player yet, (some Blu-ray players play SACD, so I might go that route). I do have have high-end car stereo, however, so I figured I'd give it a shot in that. There's still some hiss, and at points it can sound a bit tinny, but the positives outweigh the negatives. In particular, the hard then soft guitars and bass in Book II, especially where the two Gods are trading barbs (..."I bring truth and understanding..." ..."you need only trust your feelings" etc.) sound flipping amazing.
#56 - Posted 10/31/13 @9:35AM by jaeger [contact]

I can watch the Pink Pop video endlessly. What an historical document!
#55 - Posted 10/31/13 @9:31AM by Enigmaticus [contact]

On Tuesday evening, I had purchased the SACD of "Hemispheres."

With regards to the not too distant future, I hope that Audiofidelity will continue to release SACD 's of Rush's works, maybe "Exit... Stage Left" will be their new release. Oh I know, why not have Rush revisit the songs on "Exit... Stage Left," with the support of a full symphony orchestra. That would be the ultimate version of this masterpiece, in my honest opinion?
#54 - Posted 10/31/13 @9:21AM by Enigmaticus [contact]

On a cold rainy day in December, 1980, I would stop in at a now-defunct record store named "Roads To Moscow" to make my first purchase of a Rush album on cassette.

For the price of $8.00 + tax, I had purchased "A Farewell To Kings." When I had returned to my dorm room, I had climbed up into the top bunk and had fallen asleep, while listening to 'Xanadu' on my primitive cassette player. As the song had played, I had conjured up amazing visions of riding the winged horse, Pegasus, across the high mountaintops of the Himalayas. Finally, I had landed by a cave, near the top of Mt. Everest.

Posted by Enigmaticus on Sunday, 08.18.13 @ 15:21pm
#53 - Posted 10/31/13 @9:17AM by Enigmaticus [contact]

#164 - Posted 8/18/13 @10:11AM by Enigmaticus [contact]

One and a half years had passed. It was now October, 1980 and I was now a Freshman majoring in Architecture, at the University of Arizona. A fellow student had invited me to his dorm room, to hear a cassette of his. On one side was "Dark Side Of The Moon," by Pink Floyd. The other side was "Hemispheres," by Rush. Prior to that time, I had discovered 'Nights In White Satin,' by The Moody Blues, from my roommate's radio. I had also purchased as my first two cassettes, please don't laugh, "Lost In Love," by Air Supply and "Xanadu: The Original Motion Picture Soundtrack."

I had really enjoyed both sides of that cassette, and from that initial exposure to both Pink Floyd and Rush had emerged my overall taste in music. As a result, I would become one of progressive rock's strongest advocates and would make it one of my life's goals to expose others to the music of Rush and progressive rock, in general. In the ensuing remaining months of 1980, I would become more familiar with the music of Styx, especially "The Grand Illusion," The Moody Blues, Kansas, Heart and of course, Rush.
Posted by Enigmaticus on Sunday, 08.18.13 @ 13:40pm
#52 - Posted 10/31/13 @9:08AM by Enigmaticus [contact]

Roy,

I can certainly understand your appreciation of the music of Chicago. I think that their first two albums are brilliant and I even like Peter Cetera's ballads. Of course, I am an aficionado of the music of Rush and progressive rock, in general.

#163 - Posted 8/18/13 @9:43AM by Enigmaticus [contact]

#162 - Posted 8/18/13 @9:36AM by Enigmaticus [contact]

For those of us who have been aficionados of Rush's music for more than 3 decades, I will impart the following story.

My first exposure to the music of Rush was on a sunny day, a few weeks after my 17th birthday, in February, 1979.

At the time, I was attending the Heart Seminar (for High School students interested in medical careers) being given at the University of Arizona College of Medicine, in Tucson, Az.
I was a Junior in High School at the time and I could not carry on a conversation, to any extent about Rock music. My parents had forbidden either my sister, or myself from listening to any rock & roll while growing up, with the possible exception of The Carpenters which were considered okay, in their eyes. My only exposure to any other music came from either the radio, or television via the tv show, "Solid Gold." Therefore, as far as modern music was concerned, I was only familiar with disco music and songs like 'Love To Love You Baby,' by the late Donna Summer, 'Ring My Bell' by Anita Ward and 'Don't Bring Me Down,' by The Electric Light Orchestra. Otherwise, I was familiar with some of the romantic music of Peter Illyich Tchaikovsky, some motion picture soundtracks, and some jazz and big band era music.

That all had changed in February, 1979 however when I had followed two of my fellow high school students into a record shop, where I would first hear "Hemispheres." This, to me, was a sonic revelation, it was both new and familiar simultaneously. I was overwhelmed by it's beauty and complexity. I was mesmerized by it's melody, I was enthralled by the bombast. It was, up until that time, the most amazing music that I had ever heard in my life. My world had forever changed, I had been exposed to the forbidden world of "progressive rock." Unfortunately, it would be an additional year and a half before I would hear it once again.
#51 - Posted 10/30/13 @7:11PM by jaeger [contact]

My thoughts people are on vacation...
#50 - Posted 10/30/13 @6:12PM by Alexfan [contact]

They could do Hemispheres Part 3 - My Favourite Splitting Headache.
#49 - Posted 10/30/13 @4:25PM by Alexfan [contact]

I would love to see Broon back in the producer's chair. In a heartbeat.

Full circle. Would be incredible.
#48 - Posted 10/30/13 @3:47PM by ITheJury [contact]

Excuse me, I was referring to #37.
#47 - Posted 10/30/13 @3:47PM by ITheJury [contact]

#35
Intentional. Though I do think "Dance Music for the Mind" is great!

I had wondered if "Dance Music for the Upper Body" could encompass the head / mind. That "Dance Music for the Upper Body" could capture how Rush, whatever the era, gets every part of the upper body going - arms AND brain.
#46 - Posted 10/30/13 @3:27PM by Homey M Holmes

Realistically, it's probably not a good idea. Just get a producer along the lines of Botrell and try to make an audiophile-quality modern rock record.
#45 - Posted 10/30/13 @2:56PM by Rubinowits [contact]

It would be interesting/I'm-betting-efficacious to have Broon back in the seat but I doubt it'll happen. I do like that idea by Geddimus Prime that if they wanna go out on top, bring back Broon and wrap it as such. But I doubt it'll happen.

It probably is about time to wrap it up (let the angry responses begin) as they are not playing technically as well as they used to, regardless of the fact that they themselves and many fans, believe the contrary.
#44 - Posted 10/30/13 @2:14PM by jupeguyowensound [contact]