Rush featured in new KISS biography Nothin' to Lose: The Making of KISS (1972-1975)

Posted on Wednesday, September 25, 2013 at 2:57PM

#32 - Posted 9/27/13 @11:19PM by What-A-Rush

I will say to your comment #3 I agree with you regarding the first Kiss album: it truly is their BEST album and arguably one of the most criminally underrated debut rock albums of all time. Great comment, despite our differing opinion. Great thread, thanks RIAB.
#31 - Posted 9/27/13 @10:52PM by What-A-Rush

To me this is a topic that NEVER gets old. I LOVE the fact that both Kiss and Rush still speak fondly of their time touring together, almost 40 years later! You don't hear about that kind of camaraderie nowadays. For me to say this must have been a DREAM TOUR to witness is a major UNDERSTATEMENT! I've said it once and I'll say it again: ANYBODY who was lucky enough to have seen this tour SHOULD FEEL HONORED! If you wanted the best, you sure as hell got the best ( pun VERY intended!)...on this tour anyway, whether you know it or not! Sigh...but I digress!

As a longtime Kiss fan, I find it unfortunate that some in the rock community see them as nothing more than "show". By and large the music of Kiss HAS held up over time very well. True, they weren't the best "musicians" around, and yet they still had GREAT SONGS! Ultimately, that's the reason why they've survived, in various incarnations. The fact that Kiss created perhaps the most collectively identifiable group image in the history of popular music would mean NOTHING if they couldn't deliver the goods musically. It was a lethal combination, but at times, I imagine it ( the image) was a "cross to bear" as well, so to speak. Either way, it worked very well, and as a result, they could kick anybody's ass live. When I think about it, the fact that they earned Rush's respect so early on says a lot about them.

When all is said and done, I still consider Kiss to be the greatest American rock and roll BAND of all time, no matter how PATHETIC Paul and Gene's obsession with the BRAND has become! In short order, without the MUSIC, there would be NO Kiss! Great comments everybody pro AND con!
#30 - Posted 9/26/13 @5:39PM by ToadBrother [contact]

I really got an impression from BTLS that Kiss had a pretty major influence on Rush's work ethic. Geddy called them the hardest working band in rock and roll, and certainly for a young band on their first major tour as an opening act, seeing the discipline that Kiss did put into its shows must have been pretty influential.

Yes, Kiss became a bit of a parody of itself in the late 70s and early 80s, and its attempts to go mainstream by and large lead to some pretty dubious musical directions, the first few albums, including Alive, are darned good rock and roll albums, as good as anyone else was putting out in that genre at the time. Say what you will, but Detroit Rock City is a killer track, one of the great hard rock tracks of the 1970s.

Still, I wouldn't go out of my way to see them now. They are indeed a band that has lingered long past their best before date.
#29 - Posted 9/26/13 @5:13PM by liquidmuse3 [contact]

Yeah, I dunno why one has to go out of their way to slag Kiss whenever they're even remotely mentioned. To me, they're the ultimate in guilty pleasure, though yes, running into them as a young kid will instill a certain sense of innate nostalgia. But to me, the look was cool (in an otherworldly way), Stanley's a good singer & (pop) songwriter, Simmons has a good growly voice, Criss had some groove (or at least syncopation), & Frehley was a pretty blitzing soloist. A TON of respectable musicians grew up loving Kiss, & to me the songs are by & large fun & catchy...so I dunno what the problem is, other than yes, obviously the whole thing is a mite bit cheesy ;o)
#28 - Posted 9/26/13 @4:40PM by jiminseattle [contact]

Kiss put on a hell of a show in '76 but you have to consider the times and my age at the time. Alive had just been released a year or so earlier and it was all the buzz. Would I see them now, not a chance. J
#27 - Posted 9/26/13 @3:58PM by random_sample [contact]

#25- Yeah, and Geddy also talked about how much they learned from Kiss, on the road, in terms of being a hard working ,touring band.
#26 - Posted 9/26/13 @3:57PM by random_sample [contact]

I never got into Kiss' music, but also never really had a problem with them. They had their "shtick" , or style and it worked well for them, obviously. Lots of fans, lots of albums sold, etc ,etc. As far as comparing Kiss and Rush, music wise...it's apples and oranges...and subjective. I know Alex made a comment about Paul Stanley's reaction to Caress of steel , when Alex had played it for him right after they recorded it and apparently (in Alex's words) "he just didn't get it". Meaning...didn't like it. But, for me...that's not a big deal. Not everyone "gets" Rush's music. Kiss and Rush obviously got along great ,when they toured together and personally, I think it's nice, whenever I read something Rush has to say ,or something the guy's in Kiss have to say, when it comes to reminiscing about when they toured together. It's both ways, as far the music goes. Kiss' music wasn't Rush's cup of tea, either. But they could still like each other as human beings , or just guys hanging out, right? You could compare it to Stewart Copeland ,from the Police. Neil's been a big fan of the Police. Neil and Stewart are friends . But Stewart Copeland obviously doesn't "get" Rush's music, either. I've read a few things, where that is evident- yet he hangs out with Neil sometimes and they are friends.
As far as Kiss goes...their music has never thrilled me that much, but I think seeing them in concert would have been fun.
#25 - Posted 9/26/13 @2:12PM by MGRushFan

#4, wow, that was virtually a carbon copy of what Geddy said in the documentary.
#24 - Posted 9/26/13 @1:08PM by snowdog20 [contact]

great... now I can't get the lyrics to "Lick it Up" out of my head.
#23 - Posted 9/26/13 @12:04PM by jupeguyowensound [contact]

Well I'm still a million bucks shy of being a millionaire but other than that I'm good. One thing I will say about Kiss is that when they decided to take the make-up off and we saw what they looked like I'm glad they put it back on!
I know, mean, uncalled for, whatever.
#22 - Posted 9/26/13 @10:18AM by michinman [contact]

Jupe... Goin well, you??
#21 - Posted 9/26/13 @9:59AM by jupeguyowensound [contact]

#19- We'll let that one slide...just don't let it happen again see. LOL

Hey, how goes it michinman?
#20 - Posted 9/26/13 @9:21AM by limelighter [contact]

KISS is all about stage performance, just like van halen is with david lee roth from 1978-1984.
rush is not about that as everyone can tell. they just play hard and they challenge themselves to put out the best show they can. period.
#19 - Posted 9/26/13 @9:09AM by michinman [contact]

*superior. Not - more superior (OCD/grammar police calling)
#18 - Posted 9/26/13 @9:02AM by michinman [contact]

Jupe... yes "stupid" is a good word. It's hard for me to have an objective view of Kiss though, because I was as young as 6 or 7 when I was introduced to the band and I became obsessed with them at that young of an age for several years, so when I see old pics or hear old songs I feel absolute nostalgia. Like SpaceTrucker I could still listen to their first 3 albums with some enjoyment, but it is not something I plan to do anytime soon. Despite the absurdity of their gimmick though, they pulled it off. That's fine, I suppose. They simply sold what a lot of people wanted (and still want). I just can't stand Simmons' arrogance and I don't really admire people like Frehley (the guitarist, for those who dont know) and Criss (the drummer) who squander a privileged life for selfish decadence.

Rush, on the other hand, (though I'm sure were not absolute angels in the early 70's), had more superior ambitions musically and proved it in the subsequent years. It's a strange coincidence for me that the two bands that I have been obsessed with have a mutual past, and could also be so different. When I was introduced to Rush in the early 80's I didn't know about that connection until much later. My obsession with Rush remains today obviously. I don't really have any reason musically or out of any sense of admiration to appreciate Kiss.
#17 - Posted 9/26/13 @4:51AM by jupeguyowensound [contact]

#15- No. Not for me man. For me I guess the music has to be good first, and if there is some kind of associated "spectacle" then added bonus, but the lame party songs just didn't do it for me, and I thought the whole make-up,costumes, boots, tongue,fire breathing was just stupid. The only tunes that I thought were any good were from...Destroyer (I guess) like Detroit Rock City, and I remember a tune called Strutter that wasn't too bad.But songs like "Beth" and that lame friggin' DISCO song they put out was just horrible and all evidence of it should have been destroyed and never spoken about again. Just never got into them, but like I say there's a lot of people who don't "get" Rush either. Personal preference.
#16 - Posted 9/25/13 @11:38PM by SpaceTrucker [contact]

I may have said this before on this site but I thought for this article it was worth repeating.

My first concert June 7th 1975 at age 16 was RUSH opening for KISS at the San Diego Civic Center and it blew my mind! It was the famous cream pie show when KISS came out at the end of RUSH's set and cream pied them as a way to celebrate the last show of the tour. It was AWESOME! KISS's first three records are solid hard rock records that I still enjoy today. And yes, I am a RUSH and KISS fan it's just that RUSH has been putting out great music for years and KISS hasn't. I do wan't to read this KISS book.
#15 - Posted 9/25/13 @11:05PM by CraigJ [contact]

#11 - I would. It would be entertaining. You don't go to a see Kiss to hear good music - you go for the spectacle. Just like watching NASCAR for the crashes... Or watching a train wreck.
#14 - Posted 9/25/13 @10:48PM by jupeguyowensound [contact]

What did I do this time??!!
#13 - Posted 9/25/13 @9:08PM by Rushannadanna [contact]

A little off topic but did anyone else see the Revolution first episode tonight?? The opening scene has a guitar guy singing and playing Tom Sawyer.

Rush has made it to prime time TV...damn. I don't like everyone knowing this little secret.