Updates and other random Rush stuff

Posted on Friday, September 27, 2013 at 1:05PM

Page 1 of 3 - 1 2 3
#57 - Posted 9/30/13 @8:24PM by MGRushFan

Hey Ed, i thought there were no personal attacks allowed? What gives with Vaporsdad personal insult to me?
#56 - Posted 9/30/13 @6:48PM by vaporsdad. [contact]

Comment Deleted
#55 - Posted 9/30/13 @3:21PM by MGRushFan

#54, I'm kinda with you in a sense. I feel that some of Pearts lyrics are way too literal now, and Sweet Miracle is a great example, although the music is fantastic. This is why i pointed out the last verse of Peaceable. It is pure imagery, and it is brilliant. He really hit it out of the park on that one. But yes, overall Peart's lyrics are mainly garbage now because they are too topical and way too literal, for my taste anyway.
#54 - Posted 9/30/13 @10:58AM by Homey M Holmes

"#42, I agree. This is one of the reasons I love VT. the lyrics finally became good again. To me the last verse of Peaceable kingdom are 4 lines of Peart's best:

"All this time we're burning like bonfires in the dark
A billion other blazes are shooting off their sparks
Every spark a drifting ember of desire
To fall upon the earth and spark another fire"

Amazing imagery and also to me a very personal statement from him."

Accidentally posted a reply on this subject on the top thread. Sorry. Anyway, these lyrics are good. "Sweet Miracle," on the other hand, is cliched before we've even gotten to the first word. "Personal statement" does not necessary equal "good." In fact, sometimes the very depth of emotions an artist is experiencing prevents them from making good artistic choices, and causes them to fall in cliche.
#53 - Posted 9/30/13 @9:34AM by MGRushFan

Woooops, sorry, meant below post to go to #48, not #42
#52 - Posted 9/30/13 @9:33AM by MGRushFan

"All this time we're burning like bonfires in the dark
A billion other blazes are shooting off their sparks
Every spark a drifting ember of desire
To fall upon the earth and spark another fire"

Amazing imagery and also to me a very personal statement from him.
#51 - Posted 9/30/13 @4:17AM by freewilly [contact]

PS thinking about it, maybe I was a little too sensitive with that word, but still cannot see it in place with Rush.
#50 - Posted 9/30/13 @4:03AM by freewilly [contact]

I'm not a native English speaker, and not gay, but why do some people use the word "gay" to express something negative (or even something positive, for that matter)... it feels not right.
#49 - Posted 9/30/13 @2:30AM by jonboy71 [contact]

to those who ordered from amazon.com, the autorip is available now. this should sound even better than the rollingstone stream.
#48 - Posted 9/30/13 @1:03AM by djc2112 [contact]

#42-- I respectfully disagree with your take on How It is and Sweet Miracle...in context with what Neil went through at the time, these are some of the most moving lyrics he has ever written.
#47 - Posted 9/29/13 @8:21PM by Homey M Holmes

"Absolutely destroyed"? That's a little extreme. But anyway, I think we're gonna see lots of aggregate albums created from various versions....;)
#46 - Posted 9/29/13 @8:10PM by MGRushFan

They absolutely destroyed Peaceable Kingdom. The vocal mix was so good in the original. Oh, well, at least I still have the old album to listen to.
#45 - Posted 9/29/13 @7:06PM by tvas1978

Holy Shit! This album sounds way better than the original mix!! To you individuals who are picky, listen to it on some real home audio equipment and/or headphones. Ceiling Unlimited is now my slappin da basss song!!
#44 - Posted 9/29/13 @4:37PM by kjbird [contact]

Nice little Rush refererence, talking about Canadian connections today during the Lions and da Bears game today, with Limelight playing in the background. Goooooo Lions!!!!!!!
#43 - Posted 9/29/13 @4:08PM by groundhog

I loved the original Vapor Trails as soon as I heard it. Now Ive played the Farewell to Kings to Grace Under Pressure albums as much as any in my music collection, but One Little Victory, Peaceable Kingdom and Vapor Trails are as good as any song they've released. VT was such an emotional comeback for Rush that I thought the heaviness was merited. It was so raw - so angry - which I thought was understandable. However there's some great music on here that got buried in the mix.

- Geddy much less harsh on songs like Ceiling Unlimited ("winding like an ancient river, the time is now again") and Ghost Rider, How It Is. He has some great bass work that is clearly evident now
- Alex has some great guitar work that is audible now: love the little guitar solo at the end of OLV (previously buried); another hidden solo on CU; Some great guitar work on GR;
- Peaceable Kingdom has lost some of the heaviness in Alex's guitar that I loved about this song in particular- not sure I like it as much. But there's a lot more dynamic range to the song now instead of being just in-your-face start to finish.
- Wow! - the beginning of How It Is gives me shivers; there's another example of some great musical moments that were lost in the original mix. Geddy sounds great now - especially in the late bridge chorus.
- Vapor Trails - one of my favourite Rush songs for both music and lyrics - sounds fantastic. (I wish they could bring themselves to play this live. I would be in tears - such an emotional song.)
- Earthshine's verses sound kind of "tinny" to me - the chorus' sounds powerful though.
- The guitar part in behind Geddy singing 'Salvation' on Sweet Miracle is really nice. The lead vocal sounds less impressive - fewer layers? - than on the original. This will take some getting used to. (One of Neil's most personal tunes and one of my favourites)
- Nocturne and Freeze sound much clearer now. These songs (like Secret Touch) I found really "tiring" on the ears on the original mix.

This is a great re-release that feels to me like a brand new, but familiar album. Thanks Rush!
#42 - Posted 9/29/13 @1:45PM by Homey M Holmes

The kick drum does seem a little clicky. But generally I thought the drums sounded the best out of the recent albums (it's really a shame that Neil is apparently going to conclude his career with such a horrible drum sound...if they do record another album, the drum sound should be a priority). Still, the overall mix is an improvement. It'll never be a classic like the early albums, but it's good. I'll say again, it needs editing. Cut How It is, Sweet Miracle, and the uber gay Out of the Cradle, put Freeze about 2/3rds through, and end with Earthshine, and I think you've really got something.
#41 - Posted 9/29/13 @6:46AM by dymention [contact]

Given this is an mp3 version, I'm sure the cd will sound even better. I think the work done to this remix is just fantastic. However, to that point, and my comment earlier about it sounding sterile, I want to elaborate because I feel "sterile" wasn't fair in describing the sonics of this remix......For example though, I feel Neil's bass drums are a bit too bright at the expense of hearing the rest of his kit throughout many songs. Also at times Alex's guitars are thrown way in the background at times (listen to Ceiling Unlimited and Geddy singing "....if laughter is a straw for a drowning man..") On the original, Alex's shredding was a huge moment in that song and it got buried in this version.

I realize I'm nit picking, but hey we're Rush fans to the end and demand the best just like the band........so that's HOW IT IS, how it's going to be..."

Glad it got some love more importantly.
#40 - Posted 9/29/13 @3:42AM by freewilly [contact]

No problem jupeguyowensound, thanks!
#39 - Posted 9/28/13 @7:18PM by jupeguyowensound [contact]

Sorry freewilly. your English is better than many.I was just kidding around.
#38 - Posted 9/28/13 @5:07PM by freewilly [contact]

PS I meant #34 #35 and #36! To the Power of Three...