Neil Peart and wife Carrie Nuttall attend Global Green USA's 10th annual Pre-Oscar Party last week

Posted on Monday, February 25, 2013 at 11:21AM

Page 1 of 5 - 1 2 3 4 5
#85 - Posted 2/28/13 @11:58AM by kjbird [contact]

I just sent a virtual horse-sized chill pill to all that need it. Now, jump the shark and get to another thread that's current news! LOL

random- a case of Moosehead waiting for you after work. Enjoy it.
#84 - Posted 2/28/13 @11:11AM by random_sample [contact]

#82- Actually, I don't think anyone went "on and on" about Neil's appearance. (I was among several who noticed Neil's very red nose and commented) For me, anyway, the only reason I said another word about it, was to try "defend" myself, when a handful of people on here who act as though they are Neil's brother or sister, or wife...get all upset because some people noticed Neil's nose. Who's "childish"?? Get a grip.
#83 - Posted 2/28/13 @12:36AM by steve k

As I've breifly read some other people's comments here, I am continually surprised at how self-important some people are. I don't blame Neil one bit for not wanting to deal with fans. I really don't. Have you seen fans at a Rush show? The ones who interupt your viewing experience so they can go back and forth for their idiotic beer run all night or the fans who simply can't hold their liquor? Who the hell wants to deal with that? Neil is Neil and anyone expecting anything other than his best performance on a given night really ought to look at themselves in the mirror and realize that beyond making you happy for 3 hours at a show or on record, he owes you or me NOTHING! The fact that some people buy his music or go to his shows doesn't entitle anyone to anything. He doesn't do meet & greets. It's been explained ad nauseum by Alex & Geddy and Neil himself that he just doesn't feel comfortable doing them. I wouldn't either. People are nuts. People are stupid and they say stupid things. I play in a dopey cover band on the weekends for a couple of hundred people which is fun and I enjoy doing that. However, I don't enjoy the drunks knocking over gear, trying to get up on stage or all of a sudden bothering me over nothing. I'm a nobody compared to his fame. Imagine dealing with all of that nonsense on his scale?F*ck that!!! Good for Neil for keeping his professional and personal separate. And shame on those making an issue of what he chooses to do with his life. And if he wants to accompany his wife somewhere, who the hell is anyone to make anything other than what it is? It's not our business!!!! He has a life. You have your. Let him live his life and you live yours. Everybody's happy!
#82 - Posted 2/27/13 @8:34PM by eshine [contact]

#81 - "this case is closed" ?? lol - ooookay.

Anyway - there is nothing uglier, or more childish, then going on (and on) about someones physical appearance - I don't care who it is.

It's gross - and not generally done by people who are sure of themselves.
#81 - Posted 2/27/13 @3:33PM by random_sample [contact]

#74- I don't think it was your post specifically ,I was referring to. But #75 responded quite eloquently to what you said, anyway.
#78- Actually, you don't "have it just about right" ,as far as I'm concerned, but if you did..then your words "caustic honesty under the protection of anonymity" would also apply to YOU ,wouldn't they? Ahhh..the hypocrisy, though. One person says that others are being assholes because they make a few comments , implying they are hiding behind anonymity, but the same person is being critical of the other people (hiding behind anonymity ,are you?).
Anyway...this case is closed, as far as I'm concerned.
#80 - Posted 2/27/13 @11:28AM by Jediyyz [contact]

In sifting through some of the comments here, it seems facts often get lost. This "Oscar Party" was NOT on Oscar night...it was on the Wed. before...hardly the "limelight" of the red carpet! So it seems Neil Peart didn't immerse himself too much in the Hollywood hype.

#78...has it just about right!

Endlessly Rocking!
#79 - Posted 2/27/13 @10:36AM by bucklemyshoe [contact]

#75 - Touche. I'm good with that.
#78 - Posted 2/27/13 @10:24AM by Modern-Day Warrior [contact]

Ah, the caustic honesty under the protection of anonymity. What a beautiful thing. Keep in mind Neil probably didn't spend several hours in the make-up room perfecting his war paint like your other favorite celebrities.

It's no wonder Neil doesn't do Meet&Greets. I can just imagine it; "Hey Neil. I'm a real big fan. But you're obviously a heavy drinker, your nose is hideous. You should lay off the Macallan Oh, and your wife is really hot."
Come on, now.

By the way, I hear Lady Gaga and Justin Bieber are hiring cosmetic consultants. Sounds like some of you may be interested.
#77 - Posted 2/27/13 @8:24AM by limelighter [contact]

bottom line-- neil was with his wife on the red carpet because he does not have to deal with fans. thats why he does not do meet and greets. he did do them during hold your fire, presto and bones tours. bones tour was the last time i was with him and was very gracious just as geddy and alex are. after his personal tragedies he was kinda lost, now is opening up in some sorts with the media but not with the fans. i have seen neil several times after that but have lost track with him over the years.
#76 - Posted 2/27/13 @3:20AM by Most Endangered Species [contact]

#70 KJ - Ding ding ding! Well done, I only knew it because my friend was working on that project for Dreamworks in the early stages when Farley was cast as Shrek. Sorry, I admit that has nothing whatsoever to do with Rush although I remember reading once that Michael Myers is from the same Willowdale neighborhood that Geddy and Alex are from. So there ya go!
#75 - Posted 2/27/13 @3:14AM by Most Endangered Species [contact]

#74 - I understood your comment. I just don't see the contradiction as you do. He merely attended a party. One of many parties that occur on Oscar night. With his wife. To support an environmental charity. And from what I remember from one of his books not only has Neil supported environmental charities for many years but it was something that was important to his late daughter too.

I would imagine that an event such as this makes him feel slightly uncomfortable, but not nearly as uncomfortable as he'd be if he attended RushCon and was completely the center of attention. Maybe he thinks there's safety in numbers with many other entertainers who are MUCH more recognizable than he is. Maybe he even (gasp!) enjoys chatting with other people who are artistic and entertain for a living. I dunno, maybe he'll do us the honor of explaining his point of view in his next News, Weather, & Sports blog piece.

The point that Neil has always tried to make, as least as I understand it, has never been that he wishes to live as a recluse. If it were that then I'd agree this is a contradiction, but it's not. It's that he wants (okay, he demands) that he be able to be a regular guy and do whatever the hell he wants to do (or not do) when he's "off the clock". So this is what he and the Missus decided to do on Sunday night and the rest of us can all suck it. Haha!

Out of character perhaps? Yeah, I think "out of character" is a better description than "contradiction". We all step out of our comfort zone at times, often because we're conceding to the wishes of friends, coworkers, family, or for a worthy cause.
#74 - Posted 2/27/13 @12:34AM by bucklemyshoe [contact]

Random_Sample - If any of your comments are directed at my comment, then you need to re-read my post. Now re-read it again.

It had nothing to do with being owed anything - It had to do with confusion as to the situation at hand, a contraction in behaviour, something that Neil has purposely avoided to extreme extents, ironically, to show up at "the perfect storm" of everything he has tried to avoid.
#73 - Posted 2/26/13 @11:32PM by random_sample [contact]

#72- Glug,glug,glug,glug,glug......ahhhh....thank you. Have more? :)
#72 - Posted 2/26/13 @10:45PM by kjbird [contact]

#71 - i just sent a virtual Moosehead lager your way - enjoy!
#71 - Posted 2/26/13 @7:12PM by random_sample [contact]

#48 & #50- Uggh.

#63, #63, #65- Pheewwwwww!! Someone with their head screwed on right.

I find it strange....these handful of Rush fans on here, who get all bent out of shape...when someone makes a few comments about something like Neil's nose being very red ,in not just one picture, but alot of pictures and theories as to why it is so red (if you can't see how red that nose is, you need your eyes checked) ....yet the same people start going on the track of Rush fan "entitlement" and how Neil spends his free time ....and that if he and his wife can be at something like an Oscar party, why not a "meet and greet" with me...because, well fuck ,I've made him what he is today and he wouldn't be anything with us "fans", blah, blah....
I don't need to explain how that is FUCKED UP, because I see a few others already have. I will just agree....Rush "owes" me nothing. I've paid for concert tickets the many times I have seen them , I have paid for all the records, cds, merchandise ...but I never, ever expect them to spend time with me, or shake my hand, etc. That, to me...is more offensive than commenting on Neil's nose. (note, in my comments before, I said Neil looks good for a 60 year old guy).
#70 - Posted 2/26/13 @5:44PM by kjbird [contact]

#68 - if memory serves me correctly, that would be Chris Farley (RIP)
#69 - Posted 2/26/13 @3:05PM by GangsterFurious [contact]

#62 - I am one of those fans that would go "without" food, or in my case, do things like stop eating out with the husband so much, which is what I've been doing so that we can afford tickets, hotels, travel, merchandise. Whatever else comes along to feed my Rush fancy.

Yet for all of the thousands of dollars gone into the franchise that is Rush, I don't think they owe me anything. Hasn't Neil given us enough? For longer than I've been alive he's been writing amazing lyrics and even came back to the band after all he had been through, to give us more than we thought we'd have.

Neil doesn't need to bend, he doesn't need to put himself in uncomfortable situations. They don't owe is anything and we can't sit and say where any of us have been if a., b., or c. hadn't happened. There are plenty of us whose lives are filled with Rush and aren't expecting a lunch date with Geddy.

However if Geddy did want a lunch date... ;)
#68 - Posted 2/26/13 @3:04PM by Most Endangered Species [contact]

Glad you liked the Shrek reference. For bonus points, can you name the actor who was originally hired to be the voice of Shrek?
#67 - Posted 2/26/13 @2:47PM by kjbird [contact]

I'm following where people are coming from, and i mean no disrespect but bottom line is, Neil, Alex and/or Geddy owe no man a thing. If you pay money for a cd, DVD, books, accessories, you are owed those items. You pay your money to see a show, they will present the best damn show they can deliver, within their control, as they do time and time again. They could go out there and not prepare months in advance, do a half ass job, and collect their money, but that's not in their DNA. I believe that is the way Neil shows his appreciation, as do Alex and Ged, by giving their fans their best for a short period of time. Apart from that, they are people just like you and I, who happened to find a way to do what they love to do, and make it their profession.

Kudos on the Shrek reference - hahaha. After 3 children going through the Shrek years, that scene is burned in my memory.
#66 - Posted 2/26/13 @2:41PM by G-Man [contact]

Tom Hanks and Julianna Margulies!!!

Nice!!