Cover of Rush's 2112 included on Local H's The Another February EP

Posted on Tuesday, February 5, 2013 at 10:07AM

#22 - Posted 2/6/13 @5:09PM by Brando70 [contact]

I like Local H, Pack Up the Cats is one of my favorite records from the 90s. I like how they gave the music a thicker, sledgehammer feel, but agree the vocal delivery leaves a lot to be desired. Still, to this Rush fan of 30+ years, it's great to see the band getting homages like this.
#21 - Posted 2/6/13 @4:45PM by drmike [contact]

#7 et al. I noticed the phrasing difference too and was going to comment on it but several of you already have. Unlike many other Rush fans, I like variation in live performances-I don't like to hear the song just like it is on the CD. I liked when Rush used to jam a bit more (Bytor & the Snowdog grew out of the solo of Working Man as they developed it while playing live). If a cover band tries to cover a Rush tune and sounds just like Rush, then what's the point in listening to it? So I like that Local H changed the phrasing. I can't say I like it that way. But it makes it interesting as I compare the original in my mind to the new phrasing.

I find it interesting that the best liked covers of Rush have been extreme changes to the Rush version: Jacob Moon's Subdivisions and Selena Martin's Spirit of Radio.
#20 - Posted 2/6/13 @2:26PM by kjbird [contact]

My thoughts on who covers appeal to (and this is just my opinion); fans of the band doing the cover are more interested in purchasing the product then the fans of the subject being covered. Example; my favorite cover to date that Rush has recorded and performed is "The Seeker" by the Who. More of the "Feedback" album have been purchased by Rush fans than by Who fans.
#19 - Posted 2/6/13 @2:19PM by jupeguyowensound [contact]

#13 ya. I was going to say - who's python boot is that...well why don't you sharpen it then. thought it would be too obscure.
#18 - Posted 2/6/13 @11:33AM by kjbird [contact]

"Covers are best left to a live performance by a bar band. Why would I actually purchase a studio recording of a Rush song recorded by anyone other than Rush?"

#17-i agree with you on this one....UNLESS it's Rush recording a cover hahaha (eh hem...feedback....eh hem)

Hey, sure i'll give any cover band's recording a listen to, but putting my money to it is a different story. I'm pretty selective with how i invest my money :-)
#17 - Posted 2/6/13 @11:10AM by Friz [contact]

#9 You are 100% correct about the verse phrasing.

I think we are well past the need (if there ever even was one) to cover a Rush song. Unnecessary noise to start this particular cover.

#16 - Posted 2/6/13 @10:55AM by lisah [contact]

Went to Zappa Plays Zappa acouple of weeks ago, it was an amazing show. Daddy,Frank, would be proud of his son. Talent like that runs in families. Like father, like son. The music was great. Off topic, I know, but thought I would reply, to the previous comment.RUSH ON!!!
#15 - Posted 2/6/13 @10:41AM by Rubinowits [contact]

#13. Awesome Zappa quote!
#14 - Posted 2/6/13 @8:49AM by jupeguyowensound [contact]

god, it sounds like it was produced by Nick R. mixed by Rich C. and mastered by Brian Big Bass Gardner!
#13 - Posted 2/6/13 @7:25AM by jupeguyowensound [contact]

#9- For a minute there I thought you were going to say - Did a vehicle fly along the mountains and find a place to park itself!
#12 - Posted 2/5/13 @9:54PM by OotS [contact]

At last, we finally have the definitive version of Overture/Temples. I'll probably never listen to the Rush version again.
#11 - Posted 2/5/13 @9:07PM by fs [contact]

good effort, better than i could have done.
#10 - Posted 2/5/13 @7:07PM by michinman [contact]

"...for their annual Christmas gift to their fans." Oh dear...
#9 - Posted 2/5/13 @6:09PM by palidrummer11 [contact]

Jesus, Mary, and Joseph, it sounds like the damned howling in Hades!

Overture was very cool, but The Temples of Syrinx could use some work. If Local H is reading this, or if anybody knows how to get in contact with them, this is my advice:

Vocally, don't phrase the verses as straight eights. Geddy has always swung a few of those notes. You can easily hear it in the line "the words you read, the songs you sing," for example. Try to phrase it in a way that strings certain groups of words together with a slightly swung feel, rather than singing it all at a contant straight pulse. The difference is very subtle, but in my opinion, it sounds more musical that way. Unless you're intent is to have a constantly driving straight, but at times a bit too robotic, feel, I would consider swinging those verses a little bit more. Musically, it was great. The chorus was good too. That's just my advice, from one musician to another.
#8 - Posted 2/5/13 @5:43PM by Rubinowits [contact]

Just another band hopping on the "Oh-Rush-is-now-popular?" bandwagon. Wretched version.
#7 - Posted 2/5/13 @5:27PM by conniemack99 [contact]

That was pretty awful.
#6 - Posted 2/5/13 @4:26PM by Son of a Mitch [contact]

That guitar tone is just really bothering me. I'm guess I'm just really used to the clean and vibrant tones Alex can get out of his guitar on this song.
#5 - Posted 2/5/13 @1:56PM by KLR2112 [contact]

It's better than some of the other covers out there. I think they get it...
#4 - Posted 2/5/13 @1:00PM by Rushian Roulette [contact]

When will the Local H lullaby covers be available?
#3 - Posted 2/5/13 @12:37PM by jaeger [contact]