Geddy Lee to appear on How I Met Your Mother tonight

Posted on Monday, February 4, 2013 at 4:04PM

Page 1 of 3 - 1 2 3
#56 - Posted 2/7/13 @1:11AM by michinman [contact]

#52 Timmy's (as we call it) is the shit! It pulled me through uni.
#55 - Posted 2/6/13 @9:43PM by Most Endangered Species [contact]

Thanks Rubinowits!
#54 - Posted 2/6/13 @6:22PM by Rubinowits [contact]

At #36: Yes, it's Halifax.
#53 - Posted 2/6/13 @1:25PM by ervnos [contact]

#49, the reality show "American Hoggers" cracks me up. Even if they play up some rural Texan stereotypes.
#52 - Posted 2/6/13 @9:48AM by mark one [contact]

we just got a tim hortons in my town . best coffee in the world ! canada is A ok in my book
#51 - Posted 2/5/13 @10:32PM by smiley [contact]

emotions transmitted
#50 - Posted 2/5/13 @9:09PM by Rusty Shackleford

Come, my "pissy" RIAB folk. Quit trying to rationalize with the irrational.
#49 - Posted 2/5/13 @8:32PM by snowdog2113 [contact]

Sorry Random, I honestly didn't mean to direct the insecurity remark specifically at you or to imply that's why you said what you said. I just meant it in a broad way and I stand by that. I've always thought that too many people derive way too much of their self-indentity from the groups they belong to rather than from themselves as individuals. I'm well aware of what "groups" I fall into such as gender and race and nationality and all that, but it's virtually impossible to offend me personally by attacking any of those groups I belong to because I simply don't get my identity from them. Those who do get offended more readily about generalizations and stereotypes are generally far more insecure as I said about how they view themselves. So when a broad statement is made and is exaggerated, they take it personally because to them they are synonymous with the groups they belong to.

As far as the show itself, there's nothing wrong with saying it's not funny. I didn't think it was all that funny, either. But not because of the stereotypes. I rarely watch much TV anyway. Did you get mad that Geddy played up all those same Canadian stereotypes on Take Off with Bob and Doug McKenzie? The guys in the band have always had a self-deprecating sense of humor about Canada because it's funny, they're clearly very proud to be Canadians, though. Nobody likes people who take themselves too seriously and you have to be able to laugh at yourself. I'm incredibly proud to be Texan, which makes it that much easier to laugh about the perceptions of it and exaggerations about it. Now, if you'll excuse me I've got to put my gun belt on and saddle my horse to ride down to the general store where the sheriff's rounding up a posse. Yeehawww!!!!!!!
#48 - Posted 2/5/13 @8:20PM by Most Endangered Species [contact]

#47 - You misspelled "aboot". I'll have "The Priestley".
#47 - Posted 2/5/13 @8:16PM by kjbird [contact]

Drinks anyone? How about a round of doughnuts for all!!
#46 - Posted 2/5/13 @8:05PM by Most Endangered Species [contact]

#44 - I got no problem with your opinion as long as you got no problem with others' opinions. I like that show, I liked that episode, and I liked Geddy's cameo last night. Just because you think something's crap doesn't make it so. Same goes for the stuff that I think are crap.
#45 - Posted 2/5/13 @7:55PM by random_sample [contact]

#43- Yeah. Big bang theory is a lot better that How I met your mother. (I doubt Geddy, himself..watches either show)
#44 - Posted 2/5/13 @7:52PM by random_sample [contact]

#38- Yes. Let's not.
I didn't think the show was funny (already explained why). I didn't think Geddy's parts were funny. I'm a Rush fan (although to a lesser and lesser degree, as time goes by..I have to admit) and think Geddy is a great guy, etc....but....not funny in this cameo. In real life (interviews,etc) he's funny. Not that crappy show. Obviously that's not "ok" with the Rush fans who get all pissy when someone dares to be critical of anything even remotely related to the band. But .....I'm fine with that :)
#43 - Posted 2/5/13 @7:48PM by kjbird [contact]

#42...my favorite current sitcom is Big Bang Theory. Funniest thing since Seinfeld IMO
#42 - Posted 2/5/13 @6:57PM by michinman [contact]

The only sitcoms I've been watching lately are re-runs of Three's Company and All in the Family. Oldies but damn goodies!!
#41 - Posted 2/5/13 @6:23PM by palidrummer11 [contact]

I stopped watching the show 'aboot' a year ago. It just got kind of old and wasn't that funny anymore. This episode was funny in some parts, but I don't wish I still watched it regularly. A lot of sitcoms are just begging for laughs with every line, and HIMYM is one of them. I still think it's an OK show, but not hilarious anymore. Everything Geddy said made me laugh, though. He could have said the least funny line in the history of television, and it still would have made me laugh.
#40 - Posted 2/5/13 @6:20PM by Lerxster [contact]

Dahmer!

:P
#39 - Posted 2/5/13 @6:12PM by Rob [contact]

#37 I'm curious about your opinion of Alex appearing on the TPB shows and movies. Certainly some would say that humor is low brow too. (although I love it!)
#38 - Posted 2/5/13 @5:56PM by jupeguyowensound [contact]

let's not add paranoid and defensive to the stereotype!
#37 - Posted 2/5/13 @4:51PM by random_sample [contact]

#20 & #21-
Yeah, I get that. I get there are other stereotypes out there and the way Canadians are "portrayed" is done in a stereotypical way, like people from New Jersey, or Texas are stereotyped. I know this. Where I was coming from, in my post , was partly that ..like poster #30, I also found the show "unfunny". Other than a few little things here and there, I just find the whole easy stereotypes of Canadians to be very lazy humour. Yeah, I commented that Geddy lost some points with me, because I'm entitled to my opinion, like all of you are ,and I hold Geddy to a pretty high standard. I just happened to think the show and the humour were way below Geddy. I would have hoped he would be a little more discerning ,about the script of a show he is going to have a cameo in. I don't hate Geddy for it and I don't hate the cast or writers of the show. So, it didn't come from a place of "insecurity" ,like you alluded to, Snowdog. It came from a similar place to poster #30. The show was unfunny, to me.