Triumph's Rik Emmett praises Alex Lifeson in new Glide interview

Posted on Monday, February 4, 2013 at 10:11AM

Page 1 of 1 - 1
#16 - Posted 2/28/13 @11:59PM by BoltFromTheBlue [contact]

Misheard Lyrics Just Outside of Guelph?

Spelling error i guess.

#15 - Posted 2/6/13 @3:43AM by freewilly [contact]

#13 michinman, Interesting take on Rush and the stylistical changes they went through, I feel you hit the mark.
I'm very glad Rush expanded their sound early eighties, and am a bit concerned that the last two albums are a bit more 'backwards' in some aspects, I feel. Like now they DO try to fit in some "Rush Mold" (a mold being recreated by Nick R), although I like the intensity of CA (and it's adventurous style/content) better than the sometimes dragging S&A.

Still the greatest band to me, anyway.
#14 - Posted 2/5/13 @1:32AM by michinman [contact]

Come to think of it, Lerxt still and always has gotten 1/3 the net profits of the bands earnings so I'm sure he would be just as happy to play the tambourine. Haha. Just joking Alex, if you're reading....
#13 - Posted 2/5/13 @12:43AM by michinman [contact]

I have a lot of respect for Rik too. I used to listen to Triumph in my teens. Not so much a fan now, but I always thought they had something to offer.

Regarding the Rush changes through the years... I wonder how much of that was a perceived necessity to adapt to the times (synth era for example) and how much of it was a sincere attempt to push the boudaries. Guess we'll never know. Probably a combination of both. That may sound sacrilegious to some of you, but I doubt Rush were that brave and audacious to completely go against the trends of the day. The difference is, I think, that Rush has had the luxury to experiment (hence the Reggae/Police influence in Perm. Waves; the rap bit on Roll The Bones) without turning into another monster. The synth era though was probably a more concerted effort to change the framework of the band. But even with the synth era, Rik is right in that Rush is a rhythm heavy band (bass and especially drums) and Alex probably many times had to bite the bullet and take a back seat, as awful as that may seem given his talent.
#12 - Posted 2/4/13 @8:14PM by jaeger [contact]

#11 Very true. Nonetheless, the more "out" Rush goes the more "out" is the albums with the majority. Even the Rush fan base should try harder to "deviate from the norm," IMHO...
#11 - Posted 2/4/13 @7:24PM by CheeseCorn [contact]

9 & 10 - I'm with both of you.

Rush have said themselves that there is no such thing as "This is what Rush is/isn't." What Rush is changes. About the only constant is their desire to push themselves musically. Rush wouldn't still be relevant today if they didn't adapt or push themselves. Instead of a tour playing critically acclaimed new music, they'd be doing greatest hits at state fairs and in backwater casinos.

That said, fans like what fans like. Some don't like HYF, others do. Some looked forward to a string section on tour, others didn't. I remember the first time I heard Roll The Bones and my reaction when Geddy started rapping. My mouth was literally agape in the stupidist "that was so awesome
1" grin whereas I recall a large backlash at the time of "fans" saying "This sucks. This isn't Rush."

It's usually the listeners who are declaring what is and isn't Rush. Me? I'd rather hear something new than the same ol' same ol'. Stretch. Explore. You never know what you might find.
#10 - Posted 2/4/13 @6:13PM by jaeger [contact]

#9 I agree that Al should do as he pleases, but based on what I often read here, for example, I don't think Rik is really far too from the mark. People don't like HYF (IMHO as much as they should) because it is out of the "Rush mold" more than almost everything else they've done.
#9 - Posted 2/4/13 @2:58PM by Taurus Pedal Boy

The only thing I don't care for is Rik presuming to know what Rush fans think and feel in regards to RUSH and ALEX. This part:

"...this is what Rush is and this is what Rush does. And their fans kind of go, "Hey, hey, don't get too far out of the mold here. We don't want you to step too far outside."

Personally, I want Alex to do whatever it is he wants to do and step outside any box he wishes to step out of, thank you very much.
#8 - Posted 2/4/13 @1:14PM by jaeger [contact]

#3 They forgot to mention the "upside down" part (just kidding, I think...)
#7 - Posted 2/4/13 @1:07PM by NSRUSHFAN [contact]

I was at Guitar Workshop Plus in July 2006 when this picture was taken at Appelby College in Oakville. Alex and Rik played together for the 150 or so people present that evening and even had a couple of the students come up and jam Working Man with them which was a big thrill for them.

That year I was in the Prog Rock Seminar Class with about 25 people in it. Alex and Rik were special guests for our class during the day and we got to meet them. Rik spent the morning with us in the classroom and when Alex arrived for the afternoon Rik stayed and we got to spend the entire afternoon with both of them. Both super nice gentleman and incredible talents. You could tell there was a great deal of mutual respect between them. They had recorded about 1/2 the songs on Snakes and Arrows by then and Alex gave us a little preview by playing Hope on his Garrison Acoustic. He also had his black PRS electric with him as in the photo.One of the funniest things during the afternoon was when someone asked Alex about the intro to a particular Rush song. He drew a blank and asked one of the teenager's in the front row, "How does that go anyway?" The kid then started playing it!
#6 - Posted 2/4/13 @12:53PM by snowdog2113 [contact]

I've always been a fan of Rik's. He's an absurdly good guitarist and seems to be a great guy. People who only know some of Triumph's radio hits may not be aware of just how gifted and well-rounded he is as a player. I'd rather hear nice things about Alex from Rik than from the vast majority of other famous guitarists out there. Nice read.
#5 - Posted 2/4/13 @12:07PM by Surfguy [contact]

Rik is a class act. I can't believe he still talks Triumph without getting all uppity. I would have told everyone "no Triumph questions" if it were me after all this time. There really isn't much new to be said about Triumph...other than they were a great band that Rik matured from into his solo career. We all wish Triumph would have carried on but that's the way these things go. Kudos to Rik for still playing the old stuff for fans when he plays live and understanding the relevance of doing so. Triumph also is a huge reminder of why every Rush fan should thank the heavens for a band like Rush who made the band democracy work for so long and so well and whose story continues... .
#4 - Posted 2/4/13 @11:46AM by smiley [contact]

always loved Triumph
#3 - Posted 2/4/13 @11:37AM by hazlnut [contact]

Flies planes??

I did not know that.

Or maybe I did.
#2 - Posted 2/4/13 @10:33AM by drmike [contact]

Nice way of not saying "first", Driven. Nice response from Emmett.
#1 - Posted 2/4/13 @10:20AM by Driven [contact]

I'm not going to say first just because it's the first time I've been first because I think that's lame.

At least Rush won, my team lost.