New Guitar Center RockWalk induction Rush interview posted

Posted on Tuesday, January 8, 2013 at 7:24PM

Page 1 of 1 - 1
#18 - Posted 1/11/13 @10:44AM by Rubinowits [contact]

at #17: I don't remember that happening at the Grace show. I remember that happening during Scars on the Presto tour - but those shows were in Detroit not Saginaw.

at Smiley: You summed it up well. Those first Rush concerts were integral in my musical formation.
#17 - Posted 1/10/13 @9:34PM by broughttoyoubytheletterj [contact]

#14...
I was at that show, remember when the white "silk" looking curtain drew shut ?
what song were they playing ?
#16 - Posted 1/10/13 @6:32PM by smiley [contact]

at Rubinowits, that experience (Saginaw) introduced music in a way that is not easy to describe now, and sharing a musical journey all these years, cool thinking, it was sit down or fall, it made an inspiring impression, it was like a compass
#15 - Posted 1/10/13 @4:48PM by ITheJury [contact]

#11, Yeah, I'll bet you're right about that, I remember Geddy himself saying in the Rush in Rio documentary that Neil was as normal / goofy as anybody.

To that, Geddy might outwardly seem to have the most balanced combination of intellectual / goofball of the three, but I wonder if all three are pretty similar in private - if Neil and Alex's personalities contrast less than they appear. Neil's talked in his books about how warmly he feels about Alex, how good a friend Alex has been to him, and how much Alex makes him laugh.
#14 - Posted 1/10/13 @4:25PM by Rubinowits [contact]

At Smiley (#13).

My first Rush concert was also in Saginaw - Grace Under Pressure. I think Marillion opened. Amazing show
#13 - Posted 1/10/13 @12:05PM by smiley [contact]

always felt RUSH as humble with extreme truth together, young enough not to care too much,,,, we are young, simply enjoying the good music now again this concert chase is always angelic and fun, new orleans lakefront arena hemispheres i think; so 3hours motorcycle, it's sold out, everyone looking for a ticket, i give up, head back, and this angel pops out from the parked car and says what will you pay for a ticket? i immediately say fifty bucks (all i had) encouragingly and smiling, amazed by it all, never forgot that miracle, my first rush shoe (Saginaw) was so intensely loud and the energy so high it was exhausting, nice speakers, had never felt so much sonic power, overwhelming then, now just love the intensity and speed, it's extreme truth, like a lot of
the things we all know and love, RIAB cool blogospheres to you
#12 - Posted 1/10/13 @9:31AM by Micky [contact]

The more Alex grow older (and fatter) the more he looks like to my elder brother...ahahah...specially the eyes and the mouth...it is incredible...:-)...
#11 - Posted 1/10/13 @2:28AM by Most Endangered Species [contact]

#7 - I suspect that Neil is probably more of a goofball than many people think when he's around friends, but I agree that he and Alex do seem like contrasting personalities. I've always felt that Geddy is the glue in that relationship. He is equal parts intellectual and goofball. Not only that, but modest - the rare rocker who never contracted Lead Singer Disease. If we had to pick one dude (and we really don't), I'd say we oughta give most of the credit to Geddy for keeping the band together all these years.
#10 - Posted 1/9/13 @1:48PM by kjbird [contact]

#9 - hahah - who can forget that; i'd call it more like a nod than a speech
#9 - Posted 1/9/13 @12:55PM by jaeger [contact]

#4 Remember that Alex gave the speech at the mic. I think that Ged is typically very articulate as well.

#5 Exactly: it's about the next show not the "honors." Way to go, Ged!

#7 I think it is more a matter of seeing the contrast between the extremes of Alex as jokester and Neil as "elder statesman" (saying he's proud to be 60!).
#8 - Posted 1/9/13 @12:55PM by Fish Eyelands [contact]

#7- looks like Geddy didn't have a problem with it at all! :-) Actually since Alex and Geddy do the lion share of interviews and promotion, I'm sure they're grateful when Neil does some of the heavy lifting.
#7 - Posted 1/9/13 @12:10PM by Surfguy [contact]

it's kind of strange when the rush members all sit down together. neil is so formal and well spoken compared to those other two. it does still feel like neil is the outsider and ged/alex are the high school buds. and, watching alex look at neil while he speaks...is like watching the class goofball look at the professor. they seem like two people who normally wouldn't associate with each other. thank heaven they found each other over the music. it's quite strange imo. just think if they weren't in a band and they came across each other. no way ged/alex are still talking to neil because neil would always eclipse them on anything spoken or read. it does feel like a strange relationship even after all these years. the documentary dinner where they got progessively drunker as the night went on is as real as i have seen those relationships. the difference is it seems it takes some alcohol to get neil on the same goofness level. do you think ged/alex ever get tired of neil when he is speaking so eloquently and then it is their turn to speak? lol
#6 - Posted 1/9/13 @10:23AM by OotS [contact]

The way Neil sits on that chair with his feet on the bar doesn't look very rock and roll. None of the members of Molly Hatchet would sit like that.
#5 - Posted 1/8/13 @9:21PM by RushInHawaii [contact]

I'm glad Geddy saved his pipes. I saw them the following night in San Diego and he hit every note. Really.
#4 - Posted 1/8/13 @9:15PM by kjbird [contact]

That's a change! Not a word from Geddy (for obvious reasons), but also nothing from Alex! Although, his nonverbals were present as always. Take it away, Professor!! Always love to hear Neil roll - great little snippet.
#3 - Posted 1/8/13 @8:56PM by Rob [contact]

In retrospect, I think it's a good thing Neil stopped doing interviews for a time.

I don't think we would ever hear what Ged & Alex think! lol

No really...it's nice to see Neil do this with the other guys.
#2 - Posted 1/8/13 @7:48PM by palidrummer11 [contact]

There should be a dvd box set of every single Rush interview. I love watching these guys speak, especially Neil.

"We have a mute vocalist"
#1 - Posted 1/8/13 @7:34PM by angiodan [contact]