Sharp Magazine Rush feature: Rush's Rock Renaissance

Posted on Wednesday, November 21, 2012 at 4:04PM

#24 - Posted 11/26/12 @8:54AM by DiceHill2112 [contact]

#18 - bucklemyshoe, you are just as brilliant as always! I never claimed that being an introvert was a disease, but it isn't necessarily mentally healthy. Most don't even want to be that way, and why would they? Fear of strangers and social settings would be like a noose around your neck and, quite frankly, lonely. Think about the things they miss out in life? For example, if you were an introvert you wouldn't of had the opportunity to play golf with Alex, post the picture as your avatar (thanks for clearing that up, by the way: I thought it was Alex and Michael Moore or Wheels from Degrassi High, I couldn't tell) and be the attention whore that you are by blabbing the experience on the internet. Because, let's face it, that is exactly what Alex wants. I hope you are intelligent enough to get sarcasm, because if not then this whole post will be lost on you.
#23 - Posted 11/23/12 @7:48AM by jupeguyowensound [contact]

#21 random. OK maybe you never used the term fanboy, but you have stated that you kick out of the people who "love" everything Rush puts out or does, so that's why I included you in the mix. Sorry, didn't really mean anything nasty by it.
#22 - Posted 11/22/12 @8:48PM by jaeger [contact]

#16. "...without US, the band would be plumbers or stock clerks." I doubt it. Ged and Neil have iron wills.
#21 - Posted 11/22/12 @7:05PM by random_sample [contact]

#3- Since you referenced me (unless it's another "random" on here that you were referring to) I don't recall ever calling you a "fanboy". It was never even a word I used or heard of until I saw it on this site (used by others). So no, I wouldn't have been calling you that.
#16- I agree with a few things you said, regarding so-called "fan-boys" who get all bent out of shape if anyone says anything even remotely negative about Rush. But I disagree with some of your feelings about Neil, or Rush's attitude toward their fans. I seem to recall the guys in Rush making alot of comments in the last 5 years or so, saying how MUCH they appreciate their fans. To me, that isn't the same as them catoring or pandering to every whim of every fan (which would be impossible, anyway) when it comes to set-lists, etc.
As far as their music goes, even if there has been some recent music they have done that hasn't thrilled me , I have always admired that they make the music THEY want to make- even if I don't like some of it (example, I only like about half the songs on Clockwork Angels. The other songs ,I really don't like at all). As far as Neil goes...I am one of the people who actually LIKED when Neil was more private. I am kind like he is, as far as what he said in the documentary about loving The Who when he was younger, but he would never have dreamed of following them to try meet them. Believe it or not, I am not someone who has a burning desire to meet Rush. I don't mind any of them being private and I can totally understand Neil's reasons for not wanting to get too involved directly with fans. If anything, I feel like he's over exposed himself the last few years. I liked the "mystique" of the old Neil ,from back in the 80's and before. I'm sure he can be a "jerk" , but so can most people at times.
#20 - Posted 11/22/12 @5:13PM by CraigJ [contact]

ham > turkey
#19 - Posted 11/22/12 @4:33PM by hannuFIN [contact]

Why did they let the turkey join the band? Because he had the drumsticks ;)
I thanked myself by ordering two items of 2013 Rush yearcalendar. And after that few soups.
#18 - Posted 11/22/12 @3:18PM by bucklemyshoe [contact]

#16 - So now you are a psychiatrist. ROTFLMFAO !!!

So you are saying being an introvert is a disease, a problem, that is curable ? What do want to do, have an exorcism ? AWAY WITH YOUR DEMONS !!!

ROTFLMFAO !!!

an extravert will never understand an introvert, but an introvert will always understand an extrovert.

You've said some things on this blog, but this one really takes the cake !!!

I thought I had heard it all..........
#17 - Posted 11/22/12 @10:42AM by lisah [contact]

#16, I agree with your previous comment. Eventhough I feel that these guys can and do whatever they want, I also think they have sometimes slighted the fans with some of their setlist choices, and I also think they do have some level of commitment to the fanbase who have made them who they are today. I would love to hear them play all of those great songs from FBN,COS and AFTK, but I dont know if that will ever happen. Still I see as many shows as I can possibly see And enjoy every minute of it all. HAPPT THANKSGIVING TO ALL RUSH FANS AND THEIR FAMILIES.
#16 - Posted 11/22/12 @9:02AM by DiceHill2112 [contact]

#3- jupe, I think people are fanboys when they worship this band like they are deities, defend everything they do to the edge of the earth and criticize fans that are objective enough to say "I love this band, but Neil can be a real asshole" or "I don't like Clockwork Angels". It was refreshing to hear you say that you skip over tunes - I am the exact same way. I get uber-excited everytime Rush releases an album, because I AM A FAN! Am i disappointed with some of the stuff they release? Damn right I am, but it doesn't make me less of a fan. That said, the stuff I love is pure genius to me and touches something inside of me.

Sometimes I get criticized on here because I state that Rush is somewhat stand-offish with the fans and don't really care about them. I am intelligent enough to understand that they don't owe us anything, but that doesn't make it any less disappointing. I guess my point is, you expect it from the Stones but Geddy hit the nail on the head when he said "We're not a Top 40 band. So it's not easy for someone on the street, who'd never been exposed to us, to listen to a Rush song and say, 'Hey! Love that, man. How catchy!' It takes a little effort to get into our music." They aren't mainstream, and it takes a devout following to get them to where they are at and to understand them. It is like a little club, and I feel that they could be a little more appreciative to the people who were steadfast when Rush wasn't "cool". They've gotten better since Neil's tragedies and I think they (Geddy and Alex)realized that they took it for granted. Maybe it is just me, but I think the whole shy/embarrassed arguement is just a cover for him to continue being a jerk and not have to put the effort into dealing with the fans. A fan posted one time that he was an introvert, but had to overcome it and that it is possible. It is called self-improvement. To use a celebrity example, Howard Stern has stated that he has the same problem, but has to force himself into social situations in order to get over his fear. Just because that is who Neil is, doesn't mean it is necessarily good or right, and doesn't mean that he can't change it if he wants to. From what I've observed he likes the wall between him and his fans.

Anyway, jupe, I hope you understand where I am coming from. I simply feel that everyone should be able to have their say and that without US, the band would be plumbers or stock clerks.
#15 - Posted 11/22/12 @8:35AM by RushFanForever [contact]

I forgot to mention that Bachman-Turner Overdrive was signed to the Mercury Records label in the 70's which RUSH was also a part of.
#14 - Posted 11/21/12 @10:13PM by kjbird [contact]

#13 - i like what Geddy said "we were the last of the grinders"...truth
#13 - Posted 11/21/12 @9:57PM by RushFanForever [contact]

"I did not like Rush or their music at all because I didn't understand it," said Randy Bachman of then-labelmates Bachman-Turner Overdrive. "We were all trying to get Top 40 airplay, and Rush clearly was not. Their music was cerebral, progressive, full of different time signatures and out-of-this-world lyrics. They seemed to be playing for themselves and a few select fans."

However later on Randy Bachman cited Alex Lifeson and Geddy Lee as great musicians on his favorite list of guitarists and bassists in interviews.

Check out Geddy's opinion on The Guess Who and Bachman-Turner Overdrive in this interview below from 3:28 to 4:08.

#12 - Posted 11/21/12 @7:55PM by kjbird [contact]

...clarification, lots of criteria for talent. My comment about "how talented is an artist" i was referring to the autotune topic. I remember going to see a heavy metal band years ago, and when the lead singer started singing, i was stunned. Terrible live singer.
#11 - Posted 11/21/12 @7:52PM by limelighter [contact]

very good article. speaking of platinum or gold albums, is CLOCKWORK ANGELS there yet?
#10 - Posted 11/21/12 @7:52PM by kjbird [contact]

#8 - soooo true
"If only more people had that integrity and grit. The world would be a much more interesting place (and have a LOT less auto-tuning)!"

I have to believe there still exist a lot of artists with creativity brewing inside them, that succumb to pressure/easy way "in" to the industry. It was not an easy road for Rush (I concur-i wasn't with them on their path). Hard work, tenacity and good old fashioned stubbornness served them well.....along with being smart and not burning out by short-sighted and stupid decisions, as many musical legends have met their demise.

IMO, the answer to the question "how talented is this artist" is how well do they handle a live show and how memorable is it. Very few hit the mark (of course, everyone's measuring tool of that "mark" is calibrated a bit differently).
#9 - Posted 11/21/12 @7:49PM by broughttoyoubytheletterj [contact]

I would have to add that there are scores of fans that are far tired of the way
computers (pro-tools) are being used to record well thought out music.
There are highly acceptable ways to record with them, but mixes & masters are getting more of the life-like sound sucked out of them with every new release.
There are exceptions...I wish my all time favorite band was one of them.
#8 - Posted 11/21/12 @6:49PM by CheeseCorn [contact]

Aww, KJ. You beat me to it! I had copied that exact same quote to post here ("We don't need validation...").

#7 - Posted 11/21/12 @5:35PM by Thelonious [contact]

Nick R. nailed it. Real musicians playing real music with honesty and conviction will always have an audience and be remembered. Auto-tuned crap aimed at teenage airheads or incompetent garbage aimed at hipper-than-thou doofuses will always be forgotten.
#6 - Posted 11/21/12 @5:34PM by jaeger [contact]

Excellently written article.
#5 - Posted 11/21/12 @4:44PM by kjbird [contact]

Ok, one more highlight from the article (which i really like the entire piece, a must read) I like this paragraph re. maintaining control of production...

Well, maybe Kanye can. But the difference between Yeezy's beautiful dark twisted fantasy and Rush's is the latter act's dreams aren't auto-tuned. "Eventually people are going to get sick of listening to computers play music," says Raskulinecz. "That's what's happening right now. You have three producers taking what somebody's doing and turning it into something it never was. That doesn't happen with Rush. They just play their instruments really fucking well."

BINGO BABY!!