Rush Clockwork Angels tour San Diego open thread

Posted on Wednesday, November 21, 2012 at 2:49PM

#24 - Posted 11/23/12 @6:15PM by dogslikeRUSH [contact]

thanks 4syrinx, I figured it was just a case of the shutter catching the finger in an odd position. still looks funny though - especially if it was done during "wish them well"
#23 - Posted 11/23/12 @2:23PM by 4syrinx [contact]

In response to Ged's middle finger. I was 5th row directly in front of him. I happen to have eyes on him when that occured. It looke as though he was simply adjusting his frames.
#22 - Posted 11/22/12 @4:36PM by dogslikeRUSH [contact]

Thanks for the pics, Jag2112. Is that Geddy giving the middle finger in the 2nd to last pic? If so I would love to know the context of that gesture.
#21 - Posted 11/22/12 @2:12PM by HoldYourFire [contact]

I'm always happy to see Rush and, like always, they delivered a fantastic performance last night. However, I previously saw them on this tour in Hartford and in LA and the sound and crowd spirit at those shows elevated them well above this one.

That said, Rush should never play this facility again. In fact, no one should. The sound is notoriously terrible and most locals avoid it. The last time I was there was a Rush concert back in the mid 90s. I think Rush did fairly well with the sound, all things considered, but the sound just reverberates around the hall and muddles everything.

The Republika review negatively noted that about 20% of the upper seats were not filled, suggesting that Rush's time as a big time act is coming to a close. We're certainly not reliving the Moving Pictures tour, but that's a presumptuous statement in consideration of the high attendence at other shows and venues on this tour. I'd say that the reputation of the facility, combined with Thanksgiving and poor local promotion had an impact.

Although clearly the vast majority of the crowd was unfamiliar with the new Clockwork Angels material, it was nice to see that many of the new songs actually recieved more enthusiastic applause than the first set 80s material. The CA material reflects much more accomplished composition on the whole when compared to the 80s material, although I appreciate it all. I really don't understand why they alternate Seven Cities as it really deserves to be played each time. So glad Rush has been with us all these years. Next stop San Antonio for one last show this year!
#20 - Posted 11/22/12 @1:23PM by rashisaband

Great show... I would enjoy just about any setlist the band chooses so I was happy with the selection. More important... my wife said it was the best show we've seen of the 5 tours we've been to together. Having her gush after the show made it all worthwhile! I was pleasantly surprised to find that the tickets I won from Kgb were even better than the floor seats I bought. In the end too many tall people holding cell phones up to record kept us from being able to see well, so some folks we have been chatting with who had moved to some empty seats in the stands came and invited us to sit by them where we had a really good view! And my son and his girlfriend who came with us (but were in a different section) got to sit with us! All around a very good night! Though the fireworks caught me off guard EVERY time makeing me jump! Especially the first time... my wife was talking to me so I was distracted and when they went off I just about hit the roof!
The light show was amazing. I will definitely buy the dvd when it comes out.
#19 - Posted 11/22/12 @10:22AM by Jag2112 [contact]

Here's a link to a nice set of pics from the San Diego show...enjoy ...
#18 - Posted 11/22/12 @3:06AM by RushInHawaii [contact]

PS "clearly" and "particularly", that is. It's late and I'm tired . . . .
#17 - Posted 11/22/12 @3:03AM by RushInHawaii [contact]

Fantastic show! The acoustics were just fine. The mix was very good - could really hear Alex very cleary, particulary his solos which were excellent. Geddy's voice was VERY good. I don't think the string section added much, and after a couple songs I ignored them. "Headlong Flight" was particularly good. And it was "Middletown Dreams" tonight, not "Limelight". So glad we made the trip!!
#16 - Posted 11/22/12 @2:54AM by mitch18ss [contact]

Great show! I caught two shirts! Well, I was fourth row Geddy's side and had to dive over a chair to snag the Geddy Afro shirt and I gave the disinterested, unworthy guy beside me $50 for his 'I Love Lamp' shirt. Score!
#15 - Posted 11/21/12 @10:52PM by broughttoyoubytheletterj [contact]

No cameras were allowed @ Key Arena...
#14 - Posted 11/21/12 @10:21PM by limelighter [contact]

all cameras are allowed indoors. just like cell phones are allowed. if they had to take away cameras, they would have to take away cell phones. and that would be a total mess.
#13 - Posted 11/21/12 @9:18PM by broughttoyoubytheletterj [contact]

I believe all indoor shows do not allow cameras...If people were smart enough to turn off the flash I dont think they would care.
#12 - Posted 11/21/12 @7:26PM by Ernie [contact]

Hey does anybody know what the camera policy is for the show tonite?

#10 In-N-Out Burger just east of the Arena is the best place close by!
#11 - Posted 11/21/12 @7:10PM by 1001SOS [contact]

#10 - No, not a Casino. There's a Souplantation and some other restaurants nearby on West Pt. Loma Blvd a few blocks north. Also a good Thai place - Amarin at 3373 Rosecrans St, San Diego, CA 92110

I've heard they invested a lot of money in upgrading the facility and Rush has been better than most bands on getting their sound dialed in at this place.
#10 - Posted 11/21/12 @6:58PM by Armak [contact]

Is Valley View Casino Center actually a casino, like the MGM Grand (another rock arena)?

What are the best restaurants nearby or inside?

Is this the right place to be asking these questions? LOL
#9 - Posted 11/21/12 @6:36PM by sfuentes [contact]

Anaheim was great. I expect no less from this show!
I've learned that many people don't like the former Sports Arena due to poor acoustics.
#8 - Posted 11/21/12 @4:12PM by TheDude [contact]

How cool would it be for them to play all of 2112 tonight on 11/21/12 day?!?!
#7 - Posted 11/21/12 @4:11PM by CraigJ [contact]

#6 I think the better question is why not play the entire album?
#6 - Posted 11/21/12 @4:07PM by dogslikeRUSH [contact]

I turned a friend onto Rush recently, and especially Clockwork Angels, and he went to the Minneapolis show with me, and he keeps asking me one question: Why isn't Rush playing BU2B2 on the tour? They've got the strings along to accompany them and it's only 2 minutes long? I have to say I somewhat agree with him.
#5 - Posted 11/21/12 @4:01PM by 1001SOS [contact]

Taking my 16 yr old to his first Rush concert and two good friends from high school. I've been to every tour since '77. 5th row Lerxst side!!!