The Royal Philharmonic Orchestra Plays The Music Of Rush now available for purchase

Posted on Wednesday, November 14, 2012 at 4:56PM

#22 - Posted 2/28/13 @9:38PM by RedStarPriest

The vocals on Subdivisions had my brother and me in serious stitches. We could see Rush the Opera in our minds. Leotards, masks and ballet...it made me laugh so hard I HAD TO BUY IT FROM I-TUNES, LOL...and then I promptly apologized for all the flack I've given to those who believe the end of the world is at hand.
#21 - Posted 11/16/12 @10:15AM by oriongal [contact]

#20 - why do you get to be the authority on what is or is not a Rush fan, may I ask? You say the definition is not wanting anyone else to touch their music, but others (myself included) may see others wanting to cover their music as just another form of acclaim, as a tribute. As a way of saying, this is worthy. To have that kind of acclaim strictly from the fans is great, but it's also got to be great to have it come in from other bands and even classical musicians too. Obviously, someone felt it they were worthy of that kind of notice, no? And personally, however much I do or don't enjoy someone else's 'interpretation' of Rush, I still like it when the band gets this kind of recognition from the music world as well as from the fans.

Along those same lines, as previously noted here, the entire string section came out into the audience/pit area during the encore in Tampa, and were rocking out and singing along just like we do. And that in itself was also an acclaim of sorts. It was also saying, both to the band and to the fans who saw them, that while they are classical musicians who have been contracted for these performances (the implication being, they're paid to do a job, but nothing says they have to _like_ the music, they just have to _play_ it), they're also (at least by this point) fans themselves and they are enjoying it like we do. It's not every rock band out there who could accomplish that, and it was really great to see.

I can completely understand why anyone would not be into this, don't get me wrong. I actually do like it, but then I didn't expect it to sound like anything other than classical music to begin with. I am actually in agreement with you on the vocals tho, I think I'd rather have had them all be purely instrumental. But, I guess I'm also not a true Rush fan by your definition either. Guess it's a good thing we don't all have to prove ourselves 'true' in order to be able to attend the shows and enjoy the h*ll out of them... ;)
#20 - Posted 11/16/12 @9:20AM by marty from clayton [contact]

Ed, that's not fair - you let this 'hermy' guy trash talk me, and he's not even a true Rush fan.
#19 - Posted 11/16/12 @9:18AM by marty from clayton [contact]

Well #18/19 - You think you know so much, but you're obviously not a true Rush fan. A true Rush fan would not want to let anyone touch anything by Rush.

And I can't believe Ed would allow your second comment. That was completely uncalled for.
#18 - Posted 11/15/12 @9:50PM by hermy [contact]

#17....You need to settle yourself down!!

I'm tired of your Negative Nelly attitude on this!
#17 - Posted 11/15/12 @9:12PM by marty from clayton [contact]

Subdivisions actually had some promise up until the instant the voice kicked in. How embarrassing!
#16 - Posted 11/15/12 @6:52PM by lapirata2 [contact]

#15, you had go to and make me listen to that track didn't you. :-~

I thought Fly by Night and the Overture were decent, although I'll probably never listen to it again.
#15 - Posted 11/15/12 @5:03PM by UnstableCondition

Wow. Just. Wow. The vocals on Subdivisions are beyond horrible.

I'm actually laughing as I listen to it. "Ridiculous" doesn't even begin to describe it.
#14 - Posted 11/15/12 @4:41PM by Bruno Sampaio Barbosa [contact]

Listen to the whole album for free:

#13 - Posted 11/15/12 @1:02PM by Professordrums [contact]

Since it was under $9, I bought it off of iTunes and listened through this a few times since last night. Overall, I do like it. I enjoy when songs I know like the back of my hand are re-arranged into something "new". However, I do not like that they had vocalists for some songs; made the song sound like a cheesy Rush musical or something. I also don't like that they added in some songs straight bass guitar, drums, and guitar. I felt this made it too Rock instead of a true orchestral arrangement. Overall, it's a good listen...and certainly makes these great songs very cinematic.
#12 - Posted 11/15/12 @8:45AM by 1-2-bucklemyshoe [contact]

I thought "Overture" was well done so I was looking forward to the rest of the songs. I was not as impressed by the others, although I have not really listened carefully.

It's nice they have good guitarists as well as drums, but I would have preferred a straight orchestral performance.

If you're going to add rock drums and guitars, why not just listen to the originals?

I will listen again and maybe use this, as has been suggested, to snare some unsuspecting friends into the realm of Rush.
#11 - Posted 11/15/12 @8:37AM by GrahamW [contact]

#8 - Looking at the cover close-up, it is a very quick piece of digital art using the most basic brushes and techniques, probably took a couple of hours at most to produce. The internal art is similar in style and has no bearing on any Rush songs or albums. There is also no signature on the artwork which can be another good indicator of a fast commercial piece or something lifted from a generic stock library (hence the lack of relevance). The font and 70s art styling are definitely influenced by Roger Dean but lack his originality. I wouldn't read too much into it, it's a typical commercial piece of misinformed graphic design is all :)

As for the music, it's not my thing, but I doff my hat to anyone who is so inspired by truly great work to try to emulate it.
#10 - Posted 11/15/12 @8:28AM by flimbo

Just listened to this on Spotify. It's embarrasing. Not my cup of tea.
#9 - Posted 11/15/12 @8:23AM by marty from clayton [contact]

#8 michinman - No, they can't.
#8 - Posted 11/15/12 @4:52AM by michinman [contact]

Can someone explain the cover art?
#7 - Posted 11/14/12 @9:42PM by oriongal [contact]

I can totally see how this wouldn't appeal to the typical Rush fan; it doesn't translate quite as well as say the Moody Blues or even Tull did. But think of the uses...your snobby friends that always dismissed Rush? Put this on and don't tell them what it is upfront. Be snobby in return when they compliment your change in musical tastes.

I'm actually enjoying it, but I generally like classical anyway, at least when in the mood for it. I will however cringe if I hear any of these in an elevator or dentist office... :p~
#6 - Posted 11/14/12 @9:15PM by Homey M Holmes

"Blows goats" doesn't quite cover it, but it's getting there.
#5 - Posted 11/14/12 @6:52PM by oriongal [contact]

Steve Rothery as well, another very under-rated guitarist IMO.
#4 - Posted 11/14/12 @5:28PM by ac91 [contact]

it's on itunes as well...

#3 - Posted 11/14/12 @5:17PM by Rushguy [contact]

ADRIAN SMITH! That's worth the price of admission right there. Time to order.