Wednesday, August 20, 2014

Neil Peart on his pursuit of excellence as a drummer in new Drum Expo 2014 interview
8:14AM EST | comments (10) |

Drum Expo 2014As part of MusicRadar.com and Rhythm magazine's online Drum Expo 2014, Neil Peart sat down with David West for an interview where he talks at length about his pursuit of excellence as a drummer. He speaks about all of the different teachers he's had over the years, his influences, his practice techniques and more. Here's Neil discussing the importance of being respected by fellow musicians:

... "There is nothing I would rather have than the respect of other musicians for what I do, but respect is something you have to earn continually. A lot of times people only respect dead musicians because they can't let you down. Everyone has had that experience of being a fan of someone who suddenly really lets you down. "As a musician it's my responsibility to get better and if people are admiring the work I do then that's even more inspiration to improve and to take it up a notch. The hunger for improvement and exploration and all that really does derive from the acclaim. I know people give me that respect so I feel I have to earn it."

You can read the entire interview online at MusicRadar.com here.

Comments

Page 1 of 1 - 1
#10 - Posted 8/20/14 @6:08PM by cpb [contact]

Wasn't hard to do.

You'll never guess what that dope made his four-digit PIN number either!
#9 - Posted 8/20/14 @6:04PM by Rushian Roulette [contact]

Someone has hacked into cpb's computer.
#8 - Posted 8/20/14 @4:49PM by jiminseattle [contact]

Just keep jamming Neil, you will improve. :>)
#7 - Posted 8/20/14 @3:37PM by vaporsdad. [contact]

How about when he joined the band in 75.......Grrrrrrrr I hate crappy journalism
#6 - Posted 8/20/14 @3:25PM by cpb [contact]

The following is a list of the top 27 letters used in the standard English alphabet:

1) A
25) L
26) U
27) ...

...

shit.
#5 - Posted 8/20/14 @2:29PM by Lerxster [contact]

'79.. '89. Eh, it's all 99 luftballons to me.
#4 - Posted 8/20/14 @2:27PM by Lerxster [contact]

I Test for Echo comment one. Oops, I mean, I echo the sediments of comment #1. Yay Neil!
#3 - Posted 8/20/14 @2:25PM by CraigJ [contact]

meh, what's 10 years between friends?
#2 - Posted 8/20/14 @9:51AM by Gabby [contact]

"One of the older songs we're playing, Presto, is from '79..." Copy Editor!
#1 - Posted 8/20/14 @8:47AM by benlacy2112 [contact]

Good ol' Neil, always the consummate professional.

Page 1 of 1 - 1