Sunday, August 10, 2014

New book Rush: Life, Liberty, and the Pursuit of Excellence from Robert Freedman now available
8:13PM EST | comments (42) |

Robert Freedman is an author, journalist, communications professional and keeper of the Rush Vault website who has just released a new book from Algora Publishing titled Rush: Life, Liberty, and the Pursuit of Excellence. Here are some comments about the contents of the 178-page book from the author's website:

... Thanks to the work of lots of other people, including Chris McDonald and Durrell Bowman, whose books and Ph.D. dissertations paved the way for many of us who spend a lot of time thinking about the band's music, I found lots of great work to draw on. The one thing that was missing, in my view, was an overarching narrative that put everything the band has done under a single, unifying theme. It was my intention to do that in my book by showing how all of the band's music can be understood as an expression of classical liberalism rooted in Aristotelian individualism. ...

Here's an excerpt from the book's foreword which I had the honor of writing:

"Robert Freedman's book, Rush: Life, Liberty and the Pursuit of Excellence, brings together all the different treatments of Rush's music into one grand, unifying theme, Aristotelian individualism, and shows the historical context into which the band falls. Whether he's looking at Aristotle, Ayn Rand, humanism, or critics' responses to Rush over the years, Freedman brings it all together in a comprehensive history of Rush's lyrical philosophy and does so in an accessible, down-to-earth manner that I think any Rush fan will enjoy." -Ed Stenger, RushIsABand

And here's an excerpt from an early review of the book by Rush, Rock Music, and the Middle Class author Chris McDonald:

... With an engaging writing style, Robert Freedman takes stock of all of Rush's albums and considers how they reflect a unified approach to the challenges, possibilities, and problems of life during the late 20th century and the early 21st. The book builds on previous analyses of Rush by Price, Lombardo, Berti and Bowman, taking Rush seriously as pop culture philosophers, and brings further depth to the argument that Rush's music presents a secular, humanistic, and individualistic outlook that is rare in rock music. Rush fans who actively reflect on the group's lyrical messages will enjoy this opportunity to broaden their understanding of Rush against a particular philosophical background. There is an exciting analysis of Rush's recent Clockwork Angels album, making the book not only up-to-date, but providing a clear sense of how Rush's broader philosophy extends into its newest material. Freedman gives a balanced account of the impact of Aristotelian and Randian individualism on Rush, and by extension, the generation to whom Rush spoke.

You can purchase the book directly from the publisher, or from Amazon and other online retailers.

Comments

Page 1 of 5 - 1 2 3 4 5
#42 - Posted 8/21/14 @12:40AM by cpb [contact]

(guitar riff)

DJANGO

django
#41 - Posted 8/18/14 @1:14PM by CraigJ [contact]

I like them all. Pulp Fiction is my favorite. Jackie Brown is my least favorite. I haven't seen Django Unchained yet.
#40 - Posted 8/17/14 @6:23AM by Enigmaticus [contact]

Speaking of books, I am definitely considering purchasing both of those books. Recently, I had purchased "Rock Chronicles" by David Roberts. Unfortunately, not every legendary band is found in this book. It's tagline.... "every legend every line-up every look" does not include such artists as: Duran Duran, Heart, Kansas, or Primus, to name but a few egregious omissions. Otherwise, it is a fairly decent reference book. I am guessing that the second edition, will include these artists, as well. ;-(
#39 - Posted 8/17/14 @5:27AM by Enigmaticus [contact]

#38 - Posted 8/16/14 @8:25PM by Enigmaticus [contact]

#34.

I like three movies by Quentin Tarantino. Did you laugh when Uma Thurman's character chopped off the top of O-Ren Ishii's head in "Kill Bill Volume 1?" What about "Kill Bill Volume 2?" Did you like "Inglorious Basterds," also?
#38 - Posted 8/16/14 @8:25PM by Enigmaticus [contact]

#34.

I like three movies by Quentin Tarantino. Did you laugh when Uma Thurman's character chopped off the top of O-Ren Ishii's head in "Kill Bill Vol. 1" What about "Kill Bill Vol. 2?" Did you like "Inglorious Basterds," also?
#37 - Posted 8/15/14 @10:27AM by CraigJ [contact]

challenge accepted. I found the movie on YouTube. Just watched the first 10 minutes - They are at the gas station restaurant place and the old guy is sleeping in a chair...
#36 - Posted 8/15/14 @8:05AM by jupeguy [contact]

Ricky?Schroeder? I can't spell. Might be a hard movie to find though.

RUSH!!!!!
#35 - Posted 8/14/14 @6:39PM by jupeguy [contact]

I'll watch it if you watch my favorite movie. "The Earthling", with William Holden and a young Rickey Schoeder.
#34 - Posted 8/13/14 @10:16PM by CraigJ [contact]

Oh man, you HAVE to watch it. It's just so good on so many levels. Except for the Jimmy part - QT can't act... And you can't watch it on TV - they butcher it. It's in my top 10.

QT is the only director that can make me laugh blowing off someone's head...
#33 - Posted 8/13/14 @9:22PM by jupeguy [contact]

So I cheated. The reason I couldn't come up with that one is because I have never watched that movie. The only QT movie I have watched is From Dusk till Dawn.

Page 1 of 5 - 1 2 3 4 5