Tuesday, July 1, 2014

Happy Canada Day!
8:05AM EST | comments (19) |

UPDATE - 7/2@8:48AM: Fittingly enough, Geddy Lee celebrated Canada Day by attending yesterday's Toronto Blue Jays game. Ged can be seen in his regular seat behind home plate in this highlight video (thanks Kevin).

Canadian FlagToday is Canada Day - when Canadians celebrate the anniversary of the July 1, 1867 enactment of the British North America Act which united three colonies into a single country called Canada within the British Empire. So happy Canada Day to all of my Canadian readers - especially those 3 Canucks in Rush. In honor of the holiday, a number of Canadian newspapers and news sites have been publishing various lists which celebrate Canadian music and heritage. Last week the Vancouver Courier posted a list of the Top 11 Craziest Canadian Facts that You Need to Know RIGHT NOW, and Rush gets a mention (thanks RushFanForever):

2. Canadians' global reputation for being overly polite is the leading cause of celibacy among Canadians traveling abroad, followed by wearing socks and sandals and having a Rush song as your ringtone.

The Toronto Sun published their ultimate Canada Day playlist over the past weekend and Bob & Doug McKenzie's Take Off featuring a guest appearance from Geddy Lee made the cut:

It may be a novelty tune, but this little comedic gem from the duo's 1981 Great White North album is sure to get at least a few Elsinores flowing. No doubt some of you will be saying, "I remember this one, eh?!"

The Huffington Post Canada also published a Canada Day playlist and - although Rush didn't appear on the main list - Lakeside Park was featured as one of the reader suggestions (slide #29 of 46). They also published a list of the 100 Best Canadian Songs Ever. Unfortunately only one Rush song made the cut - The Spirit of Radio at #87 (thanks ou812112):

One of the all-time classic tributes to the wireless music transmission, Rush's "The Spirit Of Radio" was a worldwide hit from their 1980 album "Permanent Waves." The song was a nod to Toronto alternative radio station CFNY, who were one of the first outlets to play Rush songs.

VH1 also got in on the Canada Day action, posting their list of the top 10 Canadian hard rock and metal bands, with Rush coming out on top at #1:

One of rock's greatest bands and in many ways the group that put Canadian rock on the map, this definitive power trio emerged as proto-metal hard rockers in 1974 before embracing the concept album format with 1976's '2112' and later incorporating elements of new wave and synth rock. Musician's musicians to a man and the ultimate cult band, Rush have sold over 40 million albums over the course of their 40 year career and were inducted into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame in 2012.

Happy Canada Day! Here's Geddy Lee singing the Canadian National Anthem at the 1993 MLB All-star game:

Comments

#19 - Posted 7/4/14 @2:16PM by Enigmaticus [contact]

#17.

I certainly cannot compete with #9. I have never met a member of the "holy triumvirate" in my life. So, instead I am going to have to change the subject.

However, I can definitively say that I had one of the best meals in my entire life at Feast last night.

I had ordered the following items: One order of the Ricotta pancakes as an appetizer, a salad with cherry tomatoes, sliced red onions and bleu cheese and shallot dressing. Then, for an entree, I had ordered, the piece de resistance- 2 orders of those magnificent Shrimp Tacos, with sliced avocados. I cannot say enough to praise them adequately; those shrimp tacos were absolutely out of this world! For dessert, I had the Lemon Madeleines.
#18 - Posted 7/4/14 @1:46PM by Enigmaticus [contact]

#13.

I am sorry, but i am going to have to differ with you on that. If I had heard "Lessons" playing on a stereo, I would either immediately place my hands over my ears, or if i had them with me, don a pair of headphones, or offer the vendor money for that recording so that I could place it somewhere where it would never, ever, ever, ever be reached. In my honest opinion, Rush should have deleted that song from "2112" permanently and offered it up to AC/DC (after all, they are definitely worthy of such a great and generous gift). ;-)
#17 - Posted 7/3/14 @12:33PM by CraigJ [contact]

Yeah, I read that, I just wasn't sure if you were actually serious, because... Internet.

That's very cool, thanks for the updates.
#16 - Posted 7/3/14 @11:44AM by limelighter [contact]

CraigJ--- read post 10--- i did talk to him. i have 2-3 short conversations with him every year. my first was before the test for echo tour in september of 1996. i was working beside Q107 at the time.
#15 - Posted 7/2/14 @3:41PM by CraigJ [contact]

#14, so, did you actually talk to him or am I missing something? INQUIRING MINDS WANT TO KNOW.
#14 - Posted 7/2/14 @2:44PM by limelighter [contact]

10-- alexfan-- i was seated along the first base line, around 40 feet from where geddy was sitting.
#13 - Posted 7/2/14 @2:04PM by drumstruck [contact]

Just had to mention... got lunch at UB Dogs today in Chicago. They have a little stereo kicking out some music. I hear the distinctive Geddy wail... Lessons! Well thought brought a smile to my face.
#12 - Posted 7/2/14 @10:13AM by Enigmaticus [contact]

They only have one Rush song on their list; I have found this to be extremely disappointing. Meanwhile, these guys:

have seven Rush songs on their list. By comparison, The Beatles have 39 songs and The Rolling Stones have 21. For goodness sake, AC/DC (a band whose music, I detest strongly) has 8 songs on their list. I think that Rush aficionados can do better, I could list several, but I am wondering what you think?
#11 - Posted 7/2/14 @6:43AM by rushbloom [contact]

Sweet! The Grand Finale for Sarnia On. fireworks for Canada Day was set off with none other than RUSH 2112 played in sync.
#10 - Posted 7/1/14 @6:24PM by Alexfan [contact]

Limeliter - is your seat near Geddy's?

R40 6-disc Blu-ray Box Set