Monday, May 26, 2014

Rare autographed baseball owned by Geddy Lee awaits Derek Jeter's signature
8:21PM EST | comments (17) |

Geddy Lee's rare autographed baseballSt. Louis Today reports that a very rare piece of baseball memorabilia owned by Geddy Lee will be making a visit to Busch Stadium in St. Louis this week. The memorabilia in question is a ball signed by nearly all of the baseball players who are members of the 3000-hit club including Ty Cobb and Hank Aaron.

... The owner of the ball has asked Cardinals equipment manager Rip Rowan to get the signatures of Derek Jeter and Ichiro Suzuki* -- two more members of the 3,000-hit club. That's the prerequisite for getting on the ball. ... The ball is owned by Rush's lead singer and bassist Geddy Lee. A renowned collected of memorabilia and a huge baseball fan, Lee is also a Cardinals fan. He has come around the ballpark and spent time with the club before, and he has had long friendships with a few around the club. Lee purchased the ball to add to his collection, and has added signatures to it so that it may be the only baseball held by both Cobb and Clemente and ... if all goes well this week ... Jeter. ...

Comments

#17 - Posted 5/30/14 @1:33PM by conniemack99 [contact]

During the Time Machine Tour, I sent my original Power Windows Tour Book ahead to the concert venue (along with a pre-paid return envelope, and a passionate letter requesting signature). AND???? Nothing. It was never returned to me, signed or unsigned. Just gone. I had signature confirmation that it made it to the venue and was clearly marked that it was for Rush and the date they would be there. Extremely disappointing. Don't think I'll be trying that again.....
#16 - Posted 5/30/14 @10:33AM by Wide Angle Watcher [contact]

sb2112 - never thought of sending my poster to the concert venue. I sent it to the SRO office in Toronto care of Ray Danniels. Perhaps that was my error.
#15 - Posted 5/28/14 @9:11PM by sb2112 [contact]

@Wide Angle Watcher -- Sorry to hear about your experience with not getting an autograph. It's kind of surprising to hear since a lot of people, myself included, have gotten autographs from the band by request. I just sent an item to be autographed to the local venue ahead of the concert on the Clockwork Angels tour, and it came back signed by all three. I wonder why your request wasn't met. Seems odd and out of character.
#14 - Posted 5/28/14 @1:14PM by Wide Angle Watcher [contact]

Correction - @Stuartm - not Jaybird (although Jaybird is probably correct also...)
#13 - Posted 5/28/14 @1:12PM by Wide Angle Watcher [contact]

@Jaybird - you are absolutely correct. The philanthropy of the band is beyond question. My frustration was merely that I was a fan seeking autographs and Geddy is a fan seeking autographs. He got his, but I didn't get mine. I'm still a huge fan of the band - nothing has changed, but that story just brought home the similarity in what we were seeking and the stark difference in the results. Nothing more and nothing less.
#12 - Posted 5/28/14 @9:53AM by jaeger [contact]

Remember when Neil wrote "Be cool or be cast out?" Hmmm
#11 - Posted 5/28/14 @9:18AM by conniemack99 [contact]

As I said he is tantalizingly close, but I just don't think he's going to get there. He is 40 years old right now and needs about 240 more hits but will be lucky to get 100 hits this year. While I would love to see him get to 3K, I just don't see it happening.
#10 - Posted 5/28/14 @9:05AM by Jaybird [contact]

Remember when Neil wrote -- Can't really feel what international means?

Ichiro collected 1,278 hits in the Nippon League. a high quality league.
#9 - Posted 5/27/14 @9:12PM by stuartm [contact]

In response to Wide Angle Watcher, you may remember that Mr. Lee donated a number of baseballs as follows:

"On June 5, 2008, Geddy Lee (of the Canadian band Rush), himself an avid baseball fan, donated nearly 200 autographed baseballs to the NLBM. The signatures on these baseballs include names such as Hank Aaron, Cool Papa Bell, and Lionel Hampton. At the time, Geddy Lee's gift was one of the largest single donations the NLBM had ever received."
#8 - Posted 5/27/14 @6:55PM by pete

@conniemack99
I agree with getting the Ichiro signature now would be a mistake, but I think he will tough it out and keep going until he gets the 3k in MLB. He's at over 2700 now and would need just a few more seasons to get there. Just an exceptional all around player.