Monday, May 26, 2014

Rush's Clockwork Angels Tour and Time Machine Tour certified Gold, Platinum by the RIAA
10:51AM EST | comments (24) |

After nearly 4 years without any certifications, Rush's 2 most recent concert videos were certified Platinum by the RIAA this past May 14th. Time Machine 2011: Live in Cleveland was certified both Gold and 2X Platinum, and last year's Clockwork Angels Tour was certified Gold and Platinum. A Gold certification in the Music Video Longform category requires sales of 50,000 units while Platinum certification requires 100,000 unit sold. Prior to that, the last batch of certifications they received was back in September of 2010 for their videos R30, Rush in Rio and the Rush documentary Beyond the Lighted Stage. Rush has not received a certification for a studio album since August 31, 2001 when Roll the Bones was certified Platinum. Thanks to John at Cygnus-X1.net for the heads up.

Comments

Page 1 of 3 - 1 2 3
#24 - Posted 5/29/14 @11:25AM by CraigJ [contact]

I think some of the promise of digital distribution has been co-opted by the music labels. I mean, when you can produce your own music and sell it on iTunes, Amazon, etc, who needs a deal with a music label for distribution? I think that the bands should have the ability to simply publish directly to services like iTunes and keep 70%, but as it sits there are too many middle men in the mix. These are carryovers from when producing an album required lots of capital for production and distribution. As usual the people in the middle that add little to no value are clinging to old business models screwing things up. You see the same thing in books, cable TV, etc,

BTW I still buy some CDs - I just don't play them except to rip them. I just drove 400 miles from Phoenix to LA in my older car that only has a CD player. picking the CDs, putting them in a case and changing them during a 6 hour drive is a pain in the ass. I can say with certainty that I listen to more and different music more frequently because I have a huge library at my fingertips wherever I happen to be, I cannot wait for the new double-din Alpine head unit with CarPlay.
#23 - Posted 5/29/14 @8:51AM by Enigmaticus [contact]

I will continue to buy compact discs also. I am just hoping that SACDs of "Exit... Stage Left," "Power Windows," "Test For Echo," etc. will follow the SACD release of "Presto," in the near future.
#22 - Posted 5/28/14 @2:53PM by What-A-Rush

Same here #21. And I will continue to buy CD's until the format ceases to exist completely.
#21 - Posted 5/27/14 @10:54PM by jiminseattle [contact]

I purchase CD's, old school I guess.
#20 - Posted 5/27/14 @10:19PM by HighFidelityRob [contact]

Also my first post was written without coffee. I could have written that better. Shame on me.
#19 - Posted 5/27/14 @10:16PM by HighFidelityRob [contact]

Craig, I agree. I just think the small percentage earned on free streaming sites should be adjusted toward the artist (rather than toward the men in suits). Another point on the examples you brought up...funny how downloading mp3s illegally isn't really talked about anymore too. I think sharing is a good thing which is supported a lot by artists now with a lot of them now including flac or mp3 files with the purchase of their physical albums.

I guess the consumption of music has ALWAYS drastically changed over the years. I just recently read David Byrne's book, "How Music Works" and he has some unique perspectives on the in's and out's of the industry throughout his life. The artist makes almost nothing on downloads from Itunes and way less from streaming.
#18 - Posted 5/27/14 @6:39PM by CraigJ [contact]

Just to address some points here.

1. Once CD players were added to computers in the early 90's music has been digitally bootlegged, before that is was cassette tapes. Ripping a CD is the analog of recording an LP to tape, capturing a compressed stream like from YouTube is basically the same as using a cassette to record FM radio - you get a crappy copy.

2. All the legitimate free streaming services, Pandora, Spotify, etc pay per play royalties as do satellite radio. FM pays licensing based on radio station revenue. Yes, the per play on the streaming services is less than satellite because that play on satellite could be consumed by a whole lot of subscribers whereas streaming is assumed to be a single individual.

I don't really see much material difference.

I have a force field and a flexible plan...
#17 - Posted 5/27/14 @4:51PM by conniemack99 [contact]

p.s. there are websites that let you easily convert and download YouTube videos into MP3s so you can get just about anything you want into you iTunes/iPod as well.
#16 - Posted 5/27/14 @4:48PM by conniemack99 [contact]

My son is 14 and he listens to any and everything he wants to, whenever he wants to, for FREE. Streams it all on Spotify, Pandora, or listens to whole albums on YouTube. This is why the music industry is dying. Selling a million records these days is like selling 10 million back in the day. And you can forget about ever seeing Michael or Janet Jackson type numbers ever again. Ain't gonna happen.
#15 - Posted 5/27/14 @1:44PM by HighFidelityRob [contact]

#14
That should have read "free streaming." It's unfortunate if that is the only thing they listen to and they don't support the artist somehow. I know there's ad revenue but it isn't much.

Page 1 of 3 - 1 2 3