Tuesday, May 13, 2014

Clockwork Angels: The Novel paperback edition now available
9:15AM EST | comments (52) |

The paperback edition of Clockwork Angels: The Novel was officially released today. The paperback edition includes a new Headlong Flight cover by Hugh Syme, and can be ordered at this location. The hardcover edition of the book released back on September 1, 2012 and debuted at #18 on the New York Times bestselling list. The 1st of a 6-issue graphic novel version of the book released back on March 19th.

Comments

Page 1 of 6 - 1 2 3 4 5 6
#52 - Posted 5/18/14 @7:47AM by Denny Crane [contact]

@ #50

Seconds Out was a 100 percent LIVE recording. ESL was a combination of live and studio effort. Not overly hard to make something sound good given this type of "musical freedom".

ESL is still awesome and probably one of the greatest live concerts ever.

DC
#51 - Posted 5/17/14 @11:34AM by CraigJ [contact]

I am a web application developer and I hand code everything in a text editor (BBEdit) WYSIWYG editors are for pussies.
#50 - Posted 5/17/14 @9:24AM by Enigmaticus [contact]

Although I really like "Second's Out" by Genesis, I still feel that "Exit... Stage Left" is better and I have held that opinion for almost 33 years. Of course, later this month will be an anniversary for me, of a sort. It will mark 17 years since I had started creating my now (long-archived) website. Here is a page from that website, now almost 17 years old:

Back in those days, you had to know how to use HTML. While most individuals had created a few pages, I had created a website with numerous pages.
#49 - Posted 5/16/14 @5:32AM by GrahamW [contact]

dinoman - all great points. It still all feels a little confused to me though, like it had too many directors and not enough focus on continuity and detail - something i've admired in the band for ever. I don't know... it just feels too rushed, excuse the pun. But still a great great album, and one of my favourites.
#48 - Posted 5/15/14 @10:24PM by HighFidelityRob [contact]

"Seconds Out" is an amazing album.
#47 - Posted 5/15/14 @4:47PM by dinoman [contact]

Also, regarding BU2B - I think it fits well where they put it (though I guess it would've worked quite well as the first song), but I think the intro should've been used as a "part 2" maybe after Carnies - it feels a little mournful, like the narrator is beginning to have doubts about his beliefs. Then, BU2B2 (which would now be "part 3" would come after Wreckers - his beliefs of how the world works have been shattered, he's beaten but not fully defeated. There's a distinct negativity, but also a glimmer of hope. Then Headlong Flight, which puts aside regrets and looks back on the life's experience as a whole; good and bad parts are irrelevant, because they all are part of what made him who he is now.

Sorry to pontificate so much - I'm procrastinating.
#46 - Posted 5/15/14 @4:40PM by dinoman [contact]

Graham,
Keep in mind that, at least according to the interviews that were coming out prior to the release of CA, originally it sounded like there was going to be 4 or 5 songs that formed a concept - not the entire album. It would seem that they (Neil) rewrote some of the other songs to better fit with the overall theme and create one narrative. Certainly Halo Effect, Headlong Flight (aside from the chorus), Wish Them Well, and The Garden (aside from the Watchmaker references) easily stand on their own. Actually, I would make the same argument for BU2B - sounds like it would've fit in well on S&A - even with the Watchmaker references.
Likewise, Caravan, Clockwork Angels, The Anarchist, Carnies, 7CoG, and The Wreckers make a pretty coherent story.
I would tend not to think that this was on purpose to lessen the "preachiness" of Neil's lyrics, especially considering that BU2B was one of the first releases, before we really had a good idea of the conceptual thread. In fact, I remember a lot of disgruntled fans on this board when that one came out.
#45 - Posted 5/15/14 @4:31PM by CraigJ [contact]

#44, yes I listened to that the other day because someone mentioned it here. Even on YouTube it's quite good. I haven't listened to Three Sides Live recently, but my memory tells me that it's pretty good as well.
found this: link

Or just do what they did with ESL. I don't mind overdubs and studio fixes if it leads to a better end product. Broon's Bane -> The Trees -> Xanadu is damn near perfect.
#44 - Posted 5/15/14 @3:32PM by Denny Crane [contact]

However the recording was done for "Seconds Out" by Genesis should be the gold standard for live concerts. Incredible.

DC
#43 - Posted 5/15/14 @3:08PM by CraigJ [contact]

Whatever the process used to record Grace Under Pressure should be the gold standard. Just use that.

Page 1 of 6 - 1 2 3 4 5 6