Monday, April 28, 2014

New Neil Peart news update at NeilPeart.net
12:23PM EST | comments (33) |

[NEWS, WEATHER, and SPORTS: April, 2014 - Telescope Peak Revisited]

NP on Telescope PeakNeil Peart has once again updated the news page on his website. The April, 2014 entry is titled Telescope Peak Revisited and in it Neil describes a recent motorcycle trip to Death Valley and his climb of Telescope Peak, which was the title of a song he wrote lyrics for several years ago:

... Back in 2001, when I was in Toronto with the Guys at Work and trying to start on lyrics for a new album, naturally I had lots of "baggage" to work through. Some of that made it into songs; much did not. One of the lyrics I wrote for the Vapor Trails sessions was titled "Telescope Peak," and though at the time it didn't "sell" to the other guys, I still kind of like it. (Without bitterness, because "Ghost Rider" got put to music, and with coproducer Paul Northfield's encouragement, recorded, so at least one of my "songs of the American road" saw the light of performance. Good enough!)

But here was me in 2001, thinking back to October, 1999, and wanting to write a song called "Telescope Peak." The words still "sing" to me-an uptempo rocker in the verses, then hanging on the line "On the last lonely day" before dropping into a grinding groove for the bridges. The choruses, naturally, in gentler half-time. (When I'm writing lyrics, I always have an imaginary tempo and melody in mind, but never share that with the Guys at Work-just let them take it where it leads them. Good things happen that way.) ...

You can read the entire update on Neil's website here.

Comments

Page 1 of 4 - 1 2 3 4
#33 - Posted 5/11/14 @10:37AM by mstmompj [contact]

Because playful. Maybe some folks here also shouldn't take things so seriously.
#32 - Posted 5/4/14 @12:37PM by CraigJ [contact]

Because I need a drink.
#31 - Posted 5/2/14 @10:37AM by random_sample [contact]

Because...Rush. Because...Geddy Lee. Because...Alex Lifeson. Because...Neil Peart. Because...Rushisaband. Why are we here? Because...we're here.
#30 - Posted 5/1/14 @11:23PM by CraigJ [contact]

So...

Because OZ?
#29 - Posted 5/1/14 @8:53PM by OotS [contact]

If ever, oh ever a wiz there was, The Wizard of Oz is one because
Because, because, because, because, because
Because of the wonderful things he does
#28 - Posted 4/30/14 @11:54PM by random_sample [contact]

#18- I agree, MG.
#9- lol... no kidding. The "because...." shtick wasn't workin' for me, either.
#27 - Posted 4/30/14 @7:49PM by CraigJ [contact]

The waves are certainly crashing in on the western shore...
#26 - Posted 4/30/14 @6:44PM by jupeguy [contact]

All of Neil's recent lyrics seem great to me after hearing this on the radio today - Some say she do, some say she don't. Some say she will, some say she won't. Some say she can't, well I say she can.I say I got to be her lovin' man.
I have always hated this band and although the song was from the 80's or 90's ? it makes me appreciate any of Neil's lyrics after hearing pieces of shit like this. Or how about that great Kiss song, Lick It Up. Check out those lyrics and tell me you don't appreciate Neil's lyrics!
#25 - Posted 4/30/14 @10:27AM by jiminseattle [contact]

Love the new Rush lyrics.
#24 - Posted 4/30/14 @7:57AM by MGRushFan

On a serious note, I'm glad Geddy and Alex vetoed those lyrics, as they, much like the majority of Rush's modern lyrics, are simply no good. Way too literal, which is the problem I have with most of Peart's lyrics nowadays. It's gotten to the point where you hear a lyric and go "wow, he wrote about that in that blog posting of his." Not cool. Except for flashes of brilliance like Peaceable Kingdom where he uses metaphor and imagery in an absolutely beautiful and Subdivision-like way, his lyrical quality has gone way down. When you're mining Freddy Gruber for lyrics, something is definitely wrong.

Page 1 of 4 - 1 2 3 4