Saturday, April 12, 2014

Happy 30th anniversary Grace Under Pressure!
10:09AM EST | comments (63) |

Today marks the 30th anniversary of the April 12, 1984 release of Rush's 10th studio album Grace Under Pressure. The album marked a turning point in Rush's career in that it was the first album where the band used a producer other than Terry Brown, namely Peter Henderson. It was recorded in late 1983 and early 1984 at Le Studio in Morin Heights, Quebec. Grace Under Pressure peaked at #10 on the Billboard charts and was certified Platinum on June 26, 1984. The album's first single was Distant Early Warning which hit #1 on the US Mainstream Rock chart. Here are some clips from the first-ever airing of the Distant Early Warning video on MTV back in 1984, including some trivia about the shoot from VJ Mark Goodman.

Comments

Page 1 of 7 - 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
#63 - Posted 4/18/14 @6:55AM by Micky [contact]

Pick level of Rush evolution is MP.
Signals is the top level of Rush de-evolution which has HYF at the lowest point, strictly followed by G/P.
Then there is a stasis phase with Presto being the best album of it. IMHO just lacking a serious production, but songwriting is excellent.
Maturity evolution started with Counterparts and peaking up with CA. Vapor Trails is an excellent album among the others, specially after being properly disclosed with the Remix version. And S&A too, despite many detractors of it. Songwriting is solid ( despite the many layers which do not lower down the quality ).
I'm expecting a new step up in this current re-evolution phase, possibly shortly ! :-)
#62 - Posted 4/18/14 @1:35AM by flyingmelon53 [contact]

#58-The line "The Soviets are the Blues" is the worst. I just cannot stand that line-I get where Neil was coming from at the time, but it (to me) is a rare example of Neil focusing on something more specific and pretty much instantly dated-than his usual more universal-and more timeless-themes in his writing. They can't all be winners. "Virtuality" makes me hit the skip button, too.
#61 - Posted 4/17/14 @10:55AM by lapirata2 [contact]

This album came up my senior year in high school. I bought Signals a couple years earlier and say them on the New World Man tour. Having been blown away I picked up ATWAS and Hemispheres and loved every second off of all 3 albums. I can still remember the day BTW was released on the radio. I had no idea what the jarring "DANT, DANT, DANT, DANT" was about but I did not like it at all. Once it hooked into the chorus I liked it. Fav is Afterimage. Love the bass on "I see Red". Just could never get into this album as badly as I wanted to.
#60 - Posted 4/16/14 @4:31PM by jiminseattle [contact]

I like Als guitar work now more than ever. Just me.
#59 - Posted 4/16/14 @1:53PM by random_sample [contact]

#56- Yup. Agreed. Now, someone tell Alex Lifeson that...please!! :P
#58 - Posted 4/16/14 @1:52PM by random_sample [contact]

#57- could you elaborate on what you mean by the lyrics to Red Lenses being "dated"? By 2014 standards or 1984 standards? Obviously, by 2014 standards, they might sound "dated", well...because the lyrics were written 30+ years ago. But by 1984 standards...they don't really sound "dated",to me.
#57 - Posted 4/16/14 @1:59AM by flyingmelon53 [contact]

OK so GUP is an awesome album-except for Red Lenses-I'm sorry-it's got some of the most dated and cheesy lyrics EVER. Afterimage, Kid Gloves and Between the Wheels are amazing.
However..."Girls with Guns"?? that song rocks!! Thanks for the big dumb grin.
#56 - Posted 4/15/14 @5:58PM by CraigJ [contact]

#3 Yes. I remember listening the radio broadcast of the Album (and recording it of course) and thinking that there was some sort of static, then thinking that the vinyl I got was bad and coming to the conclusion that all the pressings were bad. Then I figured it out.

#55 Anyone who thinks Signals, GuP or PW are just "synth" albums isn't listening hard enough (and you don't have to listen that hard). The guitar in "The Weapon" - (drops mic).
#55 - Posted 4/15/14 @2:37PM by random_sample [contact]

#53/ #51 - I feel the same way. I think some of Alex's BEST guitar work is on the so-called keyboard era albums.
#54 - Posted 4/15/14 @11:57AM by Friz [contact]

#49 "When did Marillion open for Rush?"

I saw them open for Rush at Radio City in September 1983. You can find all the other times they've opened up for Rush here:

Page 1 of 7 - 1 2 3 4 5 6 7