Thursday, March 20, 2014

Rush making plans for a 2015 41st anniversary tour
3:21PM EST | comments (72) |

Rush 2015 TourRollingStone.com just reported the following big news regarding a possible 2015 Rush 41st anniversary tour:

Rush wrapped up their worldwide Clockwork Angels tour just seven months ago, but they're already planning a lengthy "41st anniversary" tour for 2015, according to guitarist Alex Lifeson. "The three of us just had a meeting," Lifeson tells Rolling Stone. "We said, 'Let's not talk about anything band-wise for the next year. Let's separate ourselves and come back rejuvenated.' Unfortunately, the other people at that meeting didn't hear what we were talking about, so there are already plans being made for spring of 2015. It's going to be a 41st anniversary tour, or whatever they're going to call it."

The specifics of the tour are still in flux. "We haven't really talked seriously about what we want to do," says Lifeson. "But I think we're probably going to lean towards making it a real sort of fan event, and really try to put something together that's very pleasing for the fans across the board. That's always been difficult, for us to sort of balance things." ... "We want to try and play different material this time," Lifeson says. "I've always wanted to do some rarer Rush material, and this should be a good opportunity to do that. I also think it's going to be a long tour. We just need to stay healthy until then." ...

More details as they become available. Thanks to mike d for the heads up.

Comments

Page 1 of 8 - 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
#72 - Posted 3/28/14 @11:56AM by jchardern [contact]

Just to hear No One at the Bridge would be sublime...

I'll tell you, just picking one song from each album is painful and almost fills up an entire show. It is just an amazing catalog of songs they've put together over the years. I've tipped my cap to the band so many times that my arm is in a permanent cast!
#71 - Posted 3/27/14 @8:33PM by EEEBEE [contact]

Ha ha... In my own defense for the (abbreviated) songs in my own "farewell" set list - I was just trying to keep it to 150 minutes or so of song time (to fit on two CDs).

If we're just fantasizing here, they could play in my backyard and perform their entire catalog, start-to-finish. I'd make BBQ and buy the beer.

I threw in a few songs I'd love to hear them perform if they do a "b-sides" tour, but here are a list of a few other (realistic?) requests (in chronological order and all NON-abbreviated!) :)

Here Again; Beneath, Between And Behind; In The End; Jacob's Ladder; Analog Kid; The Enemy Within; Prime Mover; Scars; Cut To The Chase; Time And Motion; Peaceable Kingdom; Sweet Miracle; and Nocturne.

There is one track I would rather hear abbreviated than non-abbreviated and that is The Fountain of Lamneth (omit Panacea...gag!), but I don't think Geddy could sing this anymore. I'd love it if they would pull a recording of this out of the vault from the "down the tubes" tour. They've got to have it somewhere.

Lastly, there are a couple of songs that I'm not sure would play well live, but I'd love to hear them: Available Light and Totem.
#70 - Posted 3/27/14 @7:08PM by jonnysnow

Tai Shan all night long
#69 - Posted 3/27/14 @1:39PM by Denny Crane [contact]

@ #68

Count me in for that tour set list. Looks great.

DC
#68 - Posted 3/27/14 @11:13AM by jchardern [contact]

Cool, imaginary setlists! I love this game. Ok, so I am thinking in retrospective terms. Working from present to past, one song from each album. But need to keep it real; you know songs they are likely to play, haven't overplayed on recent tours, etc. So here goes

1st set:
1. Headlong Flight -- would be a stellar opener
2. Armor and Sword -- Far Cry has been done last three tours
3. Vapor Trail -- total dream here, would expect One Little Victory
4. Test for Echo
5. Leave That Thing Alone
** Peart jam time
6. Bravado (w/ Alex outro solo) -- tough selection, this and Dreamline have had
alot of tour time; Where's My Thing just done, RTB? Can't see it.
7. The Pass -- or Presto, love both
8. Mission
9. Marathon -- a must have
10.Between the Wheels -- I'd love Afterimage as well, but just don't see it. Can't
do Red Sector A again

[intermission]

1. Subdivisions
2. Tom Sawyer
3. Natural Science -- or Jacob's Ladder?
4. The Trees
5. Xanadu -- would love full version, expect abbreviated
6. 2112 Overture/Temple
7. Bastille Day -- one of those rare ones?
** Peart jam time, part II
8. Anthem
9. Working Man
10.Closer to the Heart
11.YYZ
12.The Garden -- seems like a great finale song, brings it back full
circle

[encore]

1. La Villa Strangiato
2. The Spirit of Radio
3. Limelight

Whew! So much left out. No time for Hemispheres, The Necromancer, Fear... bummer. Perhaps they could do two nights at each stop. Your one ticket is for both evenings. Neither show has to be three hours, but two hours each night would get you an extra hour overall. Ticks might be a bit expensive, but I need solutions here people!
#67 - Posted 3/24/14 @12:04PM by simon r

Great news indeed-something to look forward to and start planning where to go and when. Hope its not their last one.
#66 - Posted 3/22/14 @9:38PM by What-A-Rush

GREAT NEWS! I agree with some who stated that if new material is somehow in the cards they'll probably just release a song or two digitally in lieu of an album. Also, I can understand them wanting to do that as well. Rush have always prided themselves in presenting at least "something new" when it comes to touring. This would probably be no exception.

Okay, I'm game! 'Something For Nothing', 'Chemistry', 'Cold Fire', 'In The End', 'Afterimage', 'Show Don't Tell', and all four parts of the 'Fear' trilogy would make my wish list for the '41th Anniversary Tour'! VERY Rush indeed! How's that?
#65 - Posted 3/22/14 @5:37PM by rushfan1968 [contact]

Afterimage is one of there better videos.
#64 - Posted 3/22/14 @3:18PM by MajorSkalle [contact]

#63, #34
Afterimage was played live on the Grace Under Pressure tour.

I'd love to see it back in the set. I also hope they can bring back Driven and Natural Science. And Earthshine. And Xanadu. And ByTor. And Turn the Page. Ok, I shall stop.
#63 - Posted 3/22/14 @2:18PM by damonhynes [contact]

#34, I can;t imagine Afterimage ever being done live. Too personal. I'm surprised that they made a video of it, actually.

Page 1 of 8 - 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8