Tuesday, March 11, 2014

John Wesley on Rush, Porcupine Tree, and working with Alex Lifeson in new interview
8:39AM EST | comments (16) |

UPDATE - 3/13@12:52PM: Phil Simon at the Huffington Post sat down with John Wesley for a 10-minute Skype interview earlier today. John talks about the new album along with all of his various side projects, and elaborates on how Alex Lifeson became involved. You can check it out online here.

Guitarist John Wesley will be releasing his latest album Disconnect later this month and Rush's Alex Lifeson makes a guest appearance on the album, playing a guitar solo on the track Once a Warrior. Wesley was recently interviewed for The Prog Report and spoke a bit about the album, Porcupine Tree and working with Alex Lifeson. At one point Wesley talks about how he and Porcupine Tree frontman Steven Wilson connected through Rush's music, and how much Alex Lifeson's guitar sound influenced Porcupine Tree's sound on their last few albums (at about the 9-minute mark):

... there was this heavy guitar element to Porcupine Tree that was coming out. I hate to say it but we have to give credit to Alex Lifeson for that. It was kind of a weird sub-conscious thing ...

Later in the interview (at the 16:45 mark) Wesley talks at length about how Alex Lifeson came to appear on Disconnect, and calls his solo on Once a Warrior "classic Alex". You can listen to the entire interview online below or at this location (thanks RushFanForever). Disconnect will release on March 31st in the UK and April 1st in the US, and can be pre-ordered now at this location.

Comments

#16 - Posted 3/13/14 @6:21PM by ITheJury [contact]

I wondered if "I hate to say it" was very much a compliment.

I.e., Wesley is confessing it wasn't PT who came up with the sound. WIthout realizing it they owe it to a major influence, Alex.
#15 - Posted 3/13/14 @4:02PM by random_sample [contact]

#3- I took it the same way you took it , with him saying "I hate to say it..." But I have no idea. I haven't listened to the interview and I know barely anything about Porcupine Tree. Have only heard a few of their songs.
#14 - Posted 3/12/14 @10:20AM by Rubinowits [contact]

The crunchy Paul is sometimes just too muddy. Sometimes I like the mud and they really deliver some good chunkiness and meat but his since his playing isn't as tight as it was, I think the thick humbucking Pauls kinda cloud up many notes. I hope he adds in the Strats, Teles and PRS, ALONG with the Pauls.
Speaking of PRS, jiminseattle, PRS himself is coming to Seattle later this month to some of the local guitar stores.
#13 - Posted 3/11/14 @8:19PM by jiminseattle [contact]

I guess I may be in the minority but I love the new crunchy, muddy sound. It isn't muddy to me.
#12 - Posted 3/11/14 @7:06PM by joerock213 [contact]

"Heavy guitar element coming out"? wtf does that mean? You know, I was listening to A Show of Hands today as I was flying in and out of traffic, and I have to say I miss that crispness and clarity the band had in that recording. Enough of this mushy system of a distortion sound.
#11 - Posted 3/11/14 @3:54PM by hazlnut [contact]

Bon Jovi?!!!
Jeez... Who knew?
#10 - Posted 3/11/14 @3:34PM by Ian Harris

Here's a video of the new Hentor Sportscasters being made last year: link from www.freddysfrets.com
#9 - Posted 3/11/14 @1:53PM by jiminseattle [contact]

Love the Les Pauls, they are crunchy.
#8 - Posted 3/11/14 @1:12PM by Rubinowits [contact]

Alexfan: That's amazing. The Hentor sounds much better than his new Pauls and I would love to hear that guitar again live or on record. Looking forward to the song with his solo on it. Thanks for the info.
#7 - Posted 3/11/14 @11:59AM by Alexfan [contact]

Freddy Gabrzek, the luthier who is building and selling authentic replicas of the Hentor Sportscaster, backwards engineered from the original does some guitar work for me, and he has an email from Alex thanking him for getting the original Sportscaster back to (better than) original form, and that he used it to record this solo. He says in the email that he forgot how amazing that guitar is/was, and that he absolutely has fallen back in love with it.