Thursday, February 27, 2014

Former Styx frontman Dennis DeYoung addresses similarities between 2112 and Kilroy Was Here
8:39AM EST | comments (46) |

In a Facebook post earlier this week, former Styx singer/keyboardist Dennis DeYoung humorously addressed allegations that have been made by some over the years claiming that Styx's 1983 concept album Kilroy Was Here was a rip off of Rush's 1976 classic 2112.

... Though I have great respect for Rush, I have never owned a Rush album and know them mostly from their songs that made the radio; Tom Sawyer, Fly by Night, Closer to the Heart. I was surprised to find that I didn't recognize any of the song titles on this album. I guess what I'm getting at is if there are ANY similarities between 2112 and Kilroy it's totally coincidental. ...

He then spends about 5 paragraphs on a tongue-in-cheek comparison between the stories told on the 2 albums.

... 2112 has the Red Star of the Solar Federation and the temple of the Syrinx. Neil's thinking big thinks here while Kilroy only has little old Dr Righteous and the Majority for Musical Morality. Wimpy by comparison. Hell Rush had the whole damn galaxy no wonder they are in the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame. ...

You can read the entire thing online here. DeYoung will be playing the El Rey Theatre in Los Angeles on March 18th for a show that will be taped for an AXS TV special and DVD.

Comments

Page 1 of 5 - 1 2 3 4 5
#46 - Posted 3/3/14 @1:06PM by jiminseattle [contact]

Yeah Jackson, saw Kansas a couple years ago in the front row with my son. They only played for an hour plus and Steve Walsh's voice was horrific. Not good compared to those 70's shows where they just kicked ass.
#45 - Posted 3/2/14 @3:43PM by palidrummer11 [contact]

Jim, yeah I guess at this point I only would go see Styx to see Todd Sucherman. The first time I saw them was when I was 15, and that was my second concert ever (KISS was my first lol), so ANY live performance by a "big famous rock band" was completely new to me. And I saw Styx at Interlochen because tickets were like $30 or something for students/campers... and cuz I got those backstage passes :)
But at this point, I'm totally with you. Band like Styx, REO, Journey, Ted Nugent, Foreigner (their keyboardist's brother was my Spanish teacher last year haha), Kansas... they're all "concert in the park" bands now. They play all their OLD stuff (their only stuff) in somewhat lame markets, as triple bills now.
#44 - Posted 3/1/14 @6:37PM by What-A-Rush

Interesting comments. I can't say I'm a big Styx fan but they certainly have their fair share of good songs. Over the past 10 years or so I really grew to like 'Mr. Roboto'. I remember it was all over radio in 1983. Some "older" fans were appalled, however, the younger kids embraced it. Perhaps it was Styx's response to the new wave era. In any event, as maligned as the song is by some purists, it remains one of the biggest hits of their career. Go figure.
#43 - Posted 2/28/14 @4:16PM by limelighter [contact]

musically, it is.
#42 - Posted 2/28/14 @12:31PM by jupeguy [contact]

#28 limelighter. With all due respect, the Sistein Chapel is a masterpiece. The Mona Lisa is a masterpiece. Sofia Vergara is a masterpiece. LaVilla Strangiato is a masterpiece. A Criminal Mind is not a masterpiece. imho
#41 - Posted 2/28/14 @12:03PM by jiminseattle [contact]

Mother Dear is a great tune Jupe. There are so many bands I saw in the day that I would not see now but Rush is just heads and tails above them all.
#40 - Posted 2/28/14 @12:02PM by jupeguy [contact]

All this talk of Styx reminded of a time when my cousin was all hammered up and was singing to himself(or everyone)-

"Montego Bay, Montego Bay, come Montego Bay with me" over and over. I finally realized he was singing these lyrics to the tune of "Come Sail Away".LOL
#39 - Posted 2/28/14 @11:57AM by jupeguy [contact]

Jim- if you can listen to that song "Mother Dear" from Equinox on headphones, it's pretty cool! They were truly "progressive" at this point I would think, before Dennis(I want to sing sappy ballads shitily)DeYoung ruined them.
#38 - Posted 2/28/14 @11:38AM by jiminseattle [contact]

Pali: that is great that you enjoyed Styx but as I mentioned before I would not go see them. They have not had a solid release as Craig said since 1981 with Paradise Theater. In the 70's is when I think they were at their creative peak and I was fortunate to see them with all original members on the Grand Illusion tour. It would be like going to see Rush if the last release was Moving Pictures and the rest going forward was weak. We know that not to be the case. Just my humble opinion.
#37 - Posted 2/28/14 @8:59AM by Ant [contact]

With Kilroy, that album was basically pushed on the band by DeYoung. "Kilroy Was Here" is a great name for an album and the concept was good, however, without the entire band behind Dennis, the album falls flat. Arguably, "Mr. Roboto" and "Don't Let It End" are the best songs on the album with the rest being fairly awful. I'm sure you've seen the interviews with Tommy Shaw where he says "I just couldn't think of any songs about robots".

For "2112", Rush were defiant, unified and making a statement against their record label at the time who was on the verge of dropping them. So what does Rush do? They do what Rush do! They basically took the same formula they used on the album that got them into trouble, turned it around, made it BETTER and put their necks on the line. The result is, arguably, the best hard rock concept piece every recorded. Instead of having a sidelong epic on side 2 like they did on "Caress", they opened "2112" with a sidelong epic and because it was so good, it did so well. There was no radio playing "2112" in those days. They didn't have MTV to promote any videos. "2112" got where it is by word of mouth because fans were going in their pants about it and telling their friends. That's how good music works.

So, in my opinion, the real difference between the two works is the band behind them. One had unity, the other dissension and it shows in both the quality and longevity of both projects.

Ant