Sunday, February 9, 2014

New Walmart commercial features Rush's Working Man
10:34AM EST | comments (172) |

Walmart ad campaignUS retail giant Walmart launched a new ad campaign this past Thursday which aims to put the spotlight on the company's recent initiative to invest $250 billion over the next 10 years towards creating new manufacturing jobs in America. One of the TV commercials in the ad campaign is titled Working Man and depicts video of US factory workers while Rush's Working Man plays in the background. There are 60-second and 30-second versions of the commercial which you can check out on YouTube here. Thanks to Andy S for the heads up.

Comments

Page 1 of 18 - 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18
#172 - Posted 2/21/14 @8:57PM by What-A-Rush

#6, great comment Donna. I couldn't agree more. Great comments everybody PRO AND CON! Dialogue is what it's all about when all is said and done. Thanks RIAB!
#171 - Posted 2/18/14 @6:56PM by Nomadog [contact]

I am disappointed to hear a Rush tune used in a commercial that promotes Walmart. Honestly, I have not been able to listen to Rush since I've experienced this commercial. So sad, so disappointed. The image I held of Rush was one of integrity. This has challenged that. It would please me to learn of a reasonable explanation for this usage of "Working Man" in a Walmart commercial. My imagination cannot come up with one. With all due respect.
#170 - Posted 2/17/14 @11:40AM by WerkinMan [contact]

Respect... So hard to earn... So easily burned.
Art as expression, not as market campaigns.

Just hoping Mercury records did this, and not the members of RUSH.
WAL-MART IS THE WORST COMPANY IN AMERICA.
#169 - Posted 2/16/14 @11:43PM by AlanCB1971 [contact]

I am seeing a number of comments from individuals seemingly unaware of the caustic scourge which is WalMart. I would sooner accept our favorite trio licensing China, or Pakistan, or maybe even the Tea Party before WalMart. Yes, it is indeed a biz and yes, they are legally allowed to do whatever is legal to further their bottom line. "Legal" leaves a lot of room for things like 'immoral' 'dishonest', 'homophobic', 'anti-free-speech'..... I will not be burning my collection of Rush music or memorabilia, I just am surprised that whatever monetary boost was realized from this agreement was substantial enough to make people as liberal and logical as Peart/Lee/Lifeson lean toward the ugly, ultra-conservative, bigoted, homophobic conglomerate of Wally World as a 'supporter'. Still a huge, life-long fan, but (just like with one's kids) I can be concurrently supportive, while deeply disappointed. C'mon boys!!!
#168 - Posted 2/13/14 @12:11PM by omegabrain [contact]

I'm not sure why there's such dissent.

Wal-Mart is a business that happens to be very successful. Good for them. Workers are never forced to work there.

There is no such thing as a level playing field.

This is business.

The song fits and complements the ad.

Get over it.
#167 - Posted 2/11/14 @9:33PM by geddybugz [contact]

It is weird, and very ironical, that after watching the spot I don't entirely hate it -- even despite the fact that I absolutely despise Walmart, I guess the whole point of it is this "initiative" for bettering their workers (or at least the workers who manufacture their products). But you can tell whoever made put some thought into it, hitting parts of the song with interesting bits of action. I feel oddly betwixt about this.

Is that the *real* Donna Halper on the first page of comments, btw? If so, interesting to see her take on this...
#166 - Posted 2/11/14 @9:05PM by CraigJ [contact]

Maybe he works in Belleville?
#165 - Posted 2/11/14 @5:35PM by RushInHawaii [contact]

Random thought: I've long wondered why it takes Geddy 2 hours to get ready for work. He wakes up at 7:00 and goes to work at 9:00. I'm out the door in the morning in less than an hour. Maybe it takes longer to wash his hair?
#164 - Posted 2/11/14 @4:23PM by jupeguy [contact]

#163 - Posted 2/11/14 @4:21PM by Homey M Holmes

Hey, is this the version of "Fly By Night" they used in that VW commercial?

...what?