Friday, February 7, 2014

Rush makes Fox News list of 11 bands better than The Beatles
2:01PM EST | comments (22) |

The Beatles arrive in the USToday is the 50th anniversary of The Beatles first landing in the United States. In celebration of the event, Fox News has created their list of 11 bands better than The Beatles?, and coming in at #7 is our favorite Canadian power trio:

Call it Revenge of the Nerds, Part 2112: It only took The Rock And Roll Hall of Fame a few decades to recognize what fans have known since the band's "Working Man" days - the collective musicianship of this Canadian power trio has no counterpart. (A legion of air drummers, guitarists, and bassists all just wheedle-deedled their approval in spirited unison.)

Essential listening: Moving Pictures (1981)

Led Zeppelin came out on top of the list which you can check out here. Thanks to Bill B for the heads up.

Comments

Page 1 of 3 - 1 2 3
#22 - Posted 2/10/14 @10:24AM by Rubinowits [contact]

I'm just amazed that Fix News er I mean Fox Noise put Rash anywhere in this list.
#21 - Posted 2/9/14 @12:17PM by Enigmaticus [contact]

CraigJ,

It's quite interesting how you had mentioned Mozart and Tchaikovsky.

It was relatively easy for me to make the transition from the music of Mozart and Tchaikovsky to the music of Rush.

When I had first heard "Hemispheres," a new world had finally opened up for me. However, it would not be until the autumn of 1980, when I would hear it once again.

By then, I had discovered the music of Nikolai Rimsky-Korsakov, namely 'Scheherezade,' and The Moody Blues via songs called 'Nights In White Satin' and 'Tuesday Afternoon.'

Posted by Enigmaticus on Saturday, 02.8.14 @ 12:28pm
#20 - Posted 2/9/14 @10:55AM by Enigmaticus [contact]

In terms of influence, I would argue that The Beatles were far more influential than any of those previously mentioned bands. However, compared with those other artists, I would say that Rush sits in the position just below The Beatles. I have never really understood the obsession with Radiohead, by the way. Therefore, with regard to those artists, I think that this ranking should look more like this, instead:

1. Rush
2. The Rolling Stones
3. Led Zeppelin
4. The Clash
5. The Band
6. Bruce Springsteen & The E Street Band
7. The Velvet Underground
8. U2
9. Tom Petty & The Heartbreakers
10. Radiohead
11. The Replacements
#19 - Posted 2/8/14 @8:06PM by jiminseattle [contact]

Agreed #18. The Beatles shook the earth in the 60's and early 70's and still are today IMHO.
#18 - Posted 2/8/14 @6:56PM by mkefromTO [contact]

The one this the Beatles have over all groups is cultural impact. No other band has that. They changed the music sceen in a short amount of time. They were only around for seven years. It took Rush seven years to get to Tom Sawyer.
#17 - Posted 2/8/14 @6:33PM by idrum2 [contact]

What's with all the hatin' on the Clash? Most influential/intelligent punk band of all time.

Two huge ommissions: The Ramones and Queen. They could easy replace Springstein and Tom Petty.
#16 - Posted 2/8/14 @3:58PM by Greenewolfe [contact]

This may be the only thing I agree on with fox News...Maybe they like Neil's Ayn Rand crush, before she became the queen of the fanatical right.
#15 - Posted 2/8/14 @1:38PM by Alan Edwards [contact]

Velvet Underground?? The Clash?? All credibility lost.
#14 - Posted 2/7/14 @9:06PM by What-A-Rush

The mere thought that I finally agree with Fox on SOMETHING is UNPRECEDENTED in and of itself: Rush are indeed better than the Beatles! But I digress. That said, the FACT that people still can't get enough of them speaks volumes on their impact and influence in popular music history! Happy 50th anniversary to the Fab Four! Quite a milestone!

But then again, I most certainly would pick Rush OVER Zeppelin any day of the week as well! So I guess I'm back to disagreeing with Fox as usual! Be that as it may, I enjoyed reading the list! Great comments everybody. Thanks RIAB!
#13 - Posted 2/7/14 @5:15PM by clockworkingman [contact]

#10, I basically mean that I can just imagine music snobs talking among themselves, saying 'Of course Fox News would say that Rush is better than the Beatles...don't you know that they're avid supporters of Ayn Rand? Rush is so right wing'.

Or something like that...

But yes, MSNBC, yahoo, Sun news etc...are all equally capable of generating questionable content.

Page 1 of 3 - 1 2 3