Saturday, January 11, 2014

Rush's Clockwork Angels tour makes Pollstar's list of the top tours of 2013
9:02AM EST | comments (57) |

Pollstar.com has released their list of the Top 100 Worldwide and Top 200 North American tours for 2013. Rush's Clockwork Angels tour came in at #64 ($14.9 million) on the North American list and #82 ($21.2 million) on the Worldwide list. Note that the numbers reported don't include the festival shows in Sweden, Ottawa or Quebec City. On the worldwide chart, Rush is listed as playing 34 shows with an average gross of $642,424 and attendance of 8129. On the North American chart, they are listed as playing 25 shows with an average gross of $620,833 and attendance of 8338. You can check out the complete lists at Pollstar.com and get the detailed show-by-show breakdown from Billboard for all of the US shows in the tour section. Thanks to Sean for the heads up.

Comments

Page 1 of 6 - 1 2 3 4 5 6
#57 - Posted 1/17/14 @5:53PM by random_sample [contact]

Some really interesting comments in this thread. (some pretty silly ones,too!) I think I will pass on giving my opinion, predictions, preferences on what Rush's next step(s) should be, though. I think I've gone there a few times, before, in these threads. Highlight comments for me,were ...Sean and MGman (and maybe one or two other random people)
#56 - Posted 1/16/14 @5:37PM by nodrush [contact]

Ahh, mg rear's his ugly head, lets get one thing straight mg, you are not a Rush fan, crawl back under your rock. Well said toadbrother.
#55 - Posted 1/15/14 @7:15PM by drjohn99 [contact]

The impressive thing about Rush is their willingness to go out for 2 years and push the new CWA album. Compared to their contemporaries (i.e. Yes, Styx) who have become essentially "tribute bands", playing only the familiar.

I am glad Rush did CWA, which has come of their best songs - "The Garden", "Caravan", "Headlong Flight" & the title tune.
#54 - Posted 1/15/14 @1:06PM by ToadBrother [contact]

#52 My sentiments exactly. They've been in major exposure mode since Snakes And Arrows, and they've done a LOT of touring. Really, it's been pretty frequent touring since VT. At some point you're going to run out of steam. They need to take a couple of years off, come back in 2015, and I think they and their audience will have recovered.

Even U2, which I'd argue is a band more likely to get a major draw, takes pretty long breaks between tours. If they did back to back tours like Rush did with The Time Machine and Clockwork Angels tours, I think you'd start seeing some lower attendance figures.
#53 - Posted 1/14/14 @11:43PM by Thelonious [contact]

"Alex could join up on a G3 thing with Satriani and Petrucci. That would be a monster night and tour that would sell out everywhere it went."

Alex is a great guitar player, but G3 is a different league. That's hard core instrumental virtuosity. The players on that tour are terrifying technicians. I don't think his sensibilities go in that direction. Who would his band be? What would he play? Where would the material come from?
#52 - Posted 1/14/14 @9:20PM by omegabrain [contact]

If anything, their fan base is in a position to attend concerts, since if they started with them 40 years ago, presumably they'd have careers and resources.

I'm thinking the issue for the slight drop off in sales is from touring frequency.

If they hit the road in late '15 or summer '16, I'd wager their audience would be 25-50% larger.
#51 - Posted 1/14/14 @7:47PM by drjohn99 [contact]

Rush is in a phase faced by many bands with an aging fan base. They are stuck between struggling to sell out 10,000 seat areas and dropping down to 2,500 seat theaters. Plus, the fans expect their top-notch production values, which require the bigger venues to pay the freight.

I think they might have one more tour left in them, maybe 2015, but not as elaborate and expensive as the CWA tour.
#50 - Posted 1/14/14 @4:59PM by Alexfan [contact]

Fifty!
#49 - Posted 1/13/14 @8:00PM by MGRushFan

toad, not that it matters, but if you actually read any of my posts, you would see your characterization of me is wrong. Among my favorite rush albums are gup, hyf, and vt, all well past the post signals era. In fact, I was one of only a handful that was not happy with the vt remix because to me the original was so perfect, even with its imperfections.

To Jupe, I think I heard of Circa a while back, but never really listened too much. The yes guys make me sad, since they seem so desperate for money that they are willing to play at what amounts to cruises around manhattan island now. Cinema was a good pre-90125 band that I guess became Yes once they realized that they had no shot as "Cinema."
#48 - Posted 1/13/14 @7:04PM by jupeguyowensound [contact]

No, not really. Let's move on shall we? You(or anybody else) ever listen to a band called "Circa"? Previewed some tracks on i-tunes and they were pretty good. They're like a supergroup founded by some current and former "Yes" members.

Page 1 of 6 - 1 2 3 4 5 6