Thursday, January 9, 2014

Happy 25th anniversary A Show of Hands!
10:54AM EST | comments (30) |

UPDATE - 1/9@12:38PM: Power Windows notes in the comments that January 9, 1989 was a Monday and the official release was very likely the following Tuesday on January 10th (releases typically occur on Tuesdays). However, both WikiPedia and the official RIAA site (just do a search for Rush) have the release listed as January 9, 1989. So maybe we should say it was released on January 9.5?? :) Close enough either way I guess.

Today marks the 25th anniversary of the January 9th, 1989 release of Rush's 3rd live album A Show of Hands. The album peaked at #21 on the Billboard album charts and was certified Gold by the RIAA on March 9, 1989. It was recorded in 1988 over several dates on the Hold Your Fire tour as well as in the Meadowlands (East Rutherford, NJ) during the 1986 Power Windows tour. A re-mastered version of the album was released in 1997 and once again in 2011 as part of the Sector 3 box set. The opening Intro track features the Three Stooges theme song Three Blind Mice playing in the background, which the band used to open many of their shows during the 1980s. An accompanying video of the Birmingham (UK) show was also released and the entire film can be found on YouTube here.

Comments

Page 1 of 3 - 1 2 3
#30 - Posted 1/10/14 @11:31AM by Cygnify [contact]

I can't say if it was the 9th or 10th - but I do recall that the video was released on a different day than the CD (or perhaps I had to special order it?) I remember trudging through the snow in State College, PA to pick it up!

This release date question also brings to mind another question. I have always seen that Permanent Waves was released January 1, 1980. Were record stores open on New Year's day??? Seems unlikely.
#29 - Posted 1/10/14 @10:07AM by Lamb Saag [contact]

re: #s 7, 15, 17, and 19

Totally, yes, agreed, and yes!

This live album always reminds me of George H. W. Bush, who was inaugurated on the day I bought the CD at the local record store (not waiting in line, and yes, it makes me feel old too, but I've come a long way since those bohemian college days, sniffing the memories in my empty vintage black and grey film canister...)

: )
#28 - Posted 1/10/14 @7:09AM by hazlnut [contact]

Fun show -- not my favorite setlist, but I remember having a good time at the show none the less.

First time I recall seeing the Closer to the heart jam live.
#27 - Posted 1/10/14 @4:21AM by tasman7 [contact]

I'm in the audience on the video, Birmingham NEC.
#26 - Posted 1/9/14 @10:07PM by flyingmelon53 [contact]

My favorite live Rush album and I love the concert video too. I was 15 when this came out and my friends and I watched the VHS over and over again in preparation for the Presto show in Toronto.
#25 - Posted 1/9/14 @8:33PM by clockworkingman [contact]

Can't believe it's been that long since it came out! Not my favorite Rush live album by any stretch but I always enjoy it when it comes up on my random cd shuffle app. I enjoy the concert DVD. More every time I see it, though.
#24 - Posted 1/9/14 @8:10PM by holeinone53575

Always liked the Three Stooges intro.
#23 - Posted 1/9/14 @7:27PM by jaeger [contact]

#17 Yeah, we're counting in 1/4 centuries now. Spoooooky!
#22 - Posted 1/9/14 @7:25PM by jaeger [contact]

A solution to the head blocked, ADD editing of the CA tour dvd would be a app like this: link
#21 - Posted 1/9/14 @5:39PM by Rubinowits [contact]

I remember going to the store immediately when it was available on vhs for $25. I've watched it sooo many times. Alex's solo in La Villa (especially his tone) was amazing.

Page 1 of 3 - 1 2 3