Thursday, December 26, 2013

Rush debut album 40th anniversary re-issue coming in 2014
10:27AM EST | comments (36) |

RushAccording to a Toronto Globe and Mail article posted yesterday, Rush will be releasing a re-issue of their 1974 debut album to celebrate the 40th anniversary since its release next year (thanks Rob B). The article cites an interview with Universal Music Canada's VP of catalog marketing Ivar Hamilton:

... Hamilton cites the Canadian hard-rock trio Rush as an example of active partners in the process, saying the band members are "very involved" in next year's 40th-anniversary reissue of the group's self-titled debut album. ...

No other details regarding the re-issue are currently available, but it will likely include a re-master of the album, new and expanded liner notes and hopefully some other goodies. More information as we learn it.

Comments

Page 1 of 4 - 1 2 3 4
#36 - Posted 1/2/14 @12:29AM by Enigmaticus [contact]

#35.

Thank you. You've exposed the limitations of the music magazines of that time. Either you were in Hit Parader, or Circus, if you were not necessarily a pop band. It is only with the advent of the Internet and the rise of the "prog rock" community, which had precipitated the creation of "Prog" magazine, where Rush has finally started to get their well deserved respect as a "progressive rock" icon.

Of course, the Grammy Awards have recognized heavy metal for quite some time, but how long do you think it will take them to finally recognize "progressive rock?"
#35 - Posted 1/1/14 @6:18PM by What-A-Rush

#33- Yes 'Enigmaticus', you're absolutely correct on your point regarding the Rush fans of that era being offended by the "heavy metal" label that was placed on the band for the first 10 years of their career. Personally, I found it more humorous than "offensive". But I digress. Frankly, I was just happy to see them receive press coverage in the major rock mags of the day, notably Circus and Hit Parader. Truth be told, had those "metal" mags not featured Rush periodically, we never would've gotten ANY news on Rush. Perhaps it's just a matter of taking the good with the bad, so to speak.

And if we're being completely honest 'Enigmaticus', the guys didn't exactly shy away from doing interviews with mags such as the ones I mentioned above. In some ways, for the time, it was a necessary evil if a band/artist wanted to get the word out about their product. Also, perhaps some fans weren't interested in "musicians' mags" such as 'Guitar World', which featured Rush quite frequently as you know. Be that as it may, being a teen hard rocker at the time, I'd rather have read about Rush in the "metal" mags than '16'. Although '16' did feature KISS constantly, so that was pretty damn cool! But again, I digress. Great comments as always 'Enigmaticus'. Happy New Year to EVERYONE at RIAB!
#34 - Posted 1/1/14 @9:04AM by Enigmaticus [contact]

#31.

As far as the aforementioned albums are concerned, I would concur with those recordings as being great choices, especially "Exit... Stage Left."

#33 - Posted 1/1/14 @8:54AM by Enigmaticus [contact]

#31.

You know that many of us were offended whenever those earlier reviewers would label Rush as a heavy metal group. Once the Internet had started, I had joined, with other like minded individuals, to attempt to set the record straight:

That earlier reviewer had echoed the opinions of many individuals, at that time. Accordingly, I had never considered Rush to be a "heavy metal" band, under any circumstances whatsoever. I remember the band members had objected to this strongly, they had written, "We've never considered ourselves to be a heavy metal group; we feel that we've had more to offer than that."

Now, I would not deny that Rush's musical style may have changed over the years:

1968- 1975 heavy progressive rock
1975- 1976 heavy symphonic progressive rock
1977- 1981 symphonic progressive rock
1982- 1996 art rock
1996- 2014 eclectic progressive rock

But even so, Rush has been carrying that progressive rock torch for more than 4 decades.
#32 - Posted 12/27/13 @10:21PM by clockworkingman [contact]

#31. Thanks for sharing those memories. Those albums you bought between July 83 and October 84 may well be the greatest run of recorded music you ever purchased.

I agree with Simmons assessment of the first 2 Rush albums being 'the Canadian Zeppelin', though I think that promise is much more fulfilled on Fly by Night. I would argue that Rush would never sound that raw again until Vapor Trails.
#31 - Posted 12/27/13 @8:15PM by What-A-Rush

I remember vividly when this album came on my radar. It was the fall of 1984 when I was 14 years old. Earlier that year I had seen Rush for the first time on the 'Grace Under Pressure' tour. Prior to that I already had 'Moving Pictures', 'Exit...Stage Left', 'Signals', 'Grace Under Pressure', and 'Permanent Waves', the exact order I bought them between July 1983 and October 1984, respectively.

In November that year I read an article in a magazine called 'Pulse', the official magazine of the INFAMOUS Tower Records, that had KISS' Gene Simmons "rating the metal bands". One of the bands he "rated" was Rush, in which he stated their first two albums are his "favorite Rush albums where they were Canada's Led Zeppelin". Furthermore, he went on to say that he wasn't a big fan of what they did after that, specifically referring to their brand of "techno metal" that he had apparent disdain for. Nevertheless, it encouraged me to get those first two albums with my Tower Records gift certificate on Christmas night 1984. I remember thinking after hearing them that this was definitely a "different Rush", but a Rush that was no less appealing, realizing that as time went on they NEVER sounded like that EVER again, for better or worse, depending on your point-of-view.

In any event, both the first album and 'Fly By Night' were my first taste of "70's Rush" which definitely piqued my interest in getting the rest from that point onward! Good stuff! Thanks RIAB!
#30 - Posted 12/27/13 @1:26PM by idrum2 [contact]

Deluxe Edition! I vote early non-album singles, the live bootleg from Cleveland, and a rerecorded Feedback-like version of the album. Make the original album available on colored vinyl with a reproduction of the first 45.
#29 - Posted 12/27/13 @12:05PM by JediSushiChef [contact]

A bonus disc with lost tracks, baby! Garden Road, mofo!!!!
#28 - Posted 12/27/13 @11:55AM by clockworkingman [contact]

#27. Agreed! The first Rush album is big, dumb fun and unlike any other album in their catalogue.

I prefer hearing all those songs, though, on the Live at the Agora Ballroom bootleg. This is the most raw sounding I've ever heard Rush.
#27 - Posted 12/27/13 @11:49AM by joerock213 [contact]

This is one of the only Rush albums with real guts that makes you want to chug a gallon of beer and put your fist through a wall. Not taking away from the other albums with Neil, but this album kicks a. Tell me you haven't sat around with a guitar and tried to learn the songs from it.

Page 1 of 4 - 1 2 3 4