Monday, December 16, 2013

Geddy Lee attends Anchorman 2 premiere in New York City
1:30PM EST | comments (13) |

UPDATE - 12/16@7:31PM: It looks like Alex Lifeson and his wife also attended the premiere as shown in this Getty Images photo (thanks Eric at Power Windows).

Geddy Lee spent some of his downtime from Rush by attending the Anchorman 2: The Legend Continues U.S. premiere in New York City this past weekend. Geddy was spotted at an after party at Cipriani 42nd Street yesterday sporting a fake Ron Burgundy mustache-on-a-stick. You can check out the dapper-looking Geddy in this Access Atlanta photo gallery (thanks mcon529). Anchorman 2 releases this coming Wednesday, December 18th.

Comments

#13 - Posted 12/17/13 @6:06PM by jaeger [contact]

Nice 'stache!
#12 - Posted 12/17/13 @11:21AM by Houston Rush Fan [contact]

Kiss will be inducted into the Rock 'n Roll Hall of Fame! Will one of the three Eh'migos induct them?
#11 - Posted 12/16/13 @10:04PM by Jennifer

Groooooan. And Getty Images goes ahead and proves my earlier point for me with the Alex photo:

"Musician Alex Lifeson (R) and guest"

How long does it take to Google a picture of the band and their families at the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame induction ceremony and confirm that, shockingly, Alex Lifeson's lovely mystery guest is actually his wife of nearly 40 years?
#10 - Posted 12/16/13 @9:20PM by chuteski [contact]

I guess it's not the same scarf after all.
#9 - Posted 12/16/13 @9:00PM by Most Endangered Species [contact]

I guess Paul Rudd owed the guys a favor after they let him conduct the orchestra at the KC show.
#8 - Posted 12/16/13 @6:26PM by random_sample [contact]

I also found it "odd", when I saw "Geddy Lee Weinrib", but I think #6 makes some good points.
I know I was thinking....hmm..what?? It's a mix of his "stage" name and his birth name....Gary Weinrib ...and Geddy Lee...Oh well. He looks cool in the pic. Oh and Anchorman 2...cool that Geddy was at the premiere :)
#7 - Posted 12/16/13 @4:22PM by GangsterFurious [contact]

What a cutie!
#6 - Posted 12/16/13 @3:43PM by Jennifer

#4 and #5: I was reading an article a while back about the difficulties of captioning events like this. Basically, it usually involves a lower-ranking employee of the media outlet (interns, mostly) going through pictures at a computer, with only a rough list of attendees and the photographer's notes for identification of the people in the photos. Easy if you're savvy in a wide variety of pop cultural areas; not so much so if nobody looks familiar to you. If you Wikipedia Geddy, his full name does indeed come up as "Geddy Lee Weinrib," so the captioner clearly thought he/she was being helpful and thorough. At least it is his legal name - I can't even count how many times I've seen captions along the lines of "Famous Person X and Guest," where "and Guest" is the star's equally famous and recognizable wife or band mate or similar.
#5 - Posted 12/16/13 @2:54PM by Alexfan [contact]

I noticed that too. I think Ged is proud of his Jewishness at this stage of his life, so I'm sure he doesn't mind at all. It is weird why they chose to use it for that though. It's just a Hollywood thing I think.
#4 - Posted 12/16/13 @2:24PM by conniemack99 [contact]

Did you see the caption? "Geddy Lee Weinrib of the rock group Rush attends the "Anchorman 2: The Legend Continues" U.S. premiere after party at Cipriani 42nd Street on December 15, 2013 in New York City."

Geddy Lee Weinrib? Have you ever seen him referred to by his "real" last name outside of articles that talk about celebrities' "real" names? If Elton John or Slash were there, would they call them by their birth names?

A little odd, dontcha think?

R40 6-disc Blu-ray Box Set