Saturday, December 14, 2013

Chris Squire wants Rush to induct Yes into the Rock Hall
9:06AM EST | comments (44) |

UPDATE - 12/17@5:00PM: There's a small Rush mention in this Rolling Stone interview with KISS frontman Gene Simmons where he discusses the band's induction. The interviewer mentions how Rush give KISS a lot of credit for bringing them to a bigger audience and Gene says:

Well, to take a Canadian band on their first tour in America was like, "Who?" But as soon as I heard "Working Man" and heard Geddy [Lee] sing. I was like, "What the hell? This is like a Canadian Led Zeppelin!"

----- snip -----

UPDATE - 12/17@10:34AM: The Rock Hall announced the inductees this morning and unfortunately both Yes and Deep Purple were excluded. However, KISS, Nirvana and Peter Gabriel will be inducted.

Chris Squire - YesThe Rock and Roll Hall of Fame is expected to announce their list of inductees for 2014 this coming week. Rush was of course inducted earlier this year, so Rush fans finally won't have anything to complain about when the inductees are revealed this time around. Rush's induction may have helped open the doors for other progressive rock acts as prog-rock pioneers and one of Rush's biggest influences - Yes - is one of the artists nominated this year. Yes bassist Chris Squire was recently interviewed for K-Earth 101 (thanks Pierre K) and was asked about the Rock Hall nomination and who he'd like to have give the induction speech if they were ultimately inducted:

I haven't given it much thought, maybe those Rush guys who got in last year! I'm pretty good friends with Dave Grohl and Taylor Hawkins (of the Foo Fighters) and they did a great speech for Rush... so probably not them, since they just did one. But if you know Geddy (Lee), let him know that that would be fine by me. I don't know how these things work, though, I don't know how much control we have, how much control the voting committee has, and of course we're still kind of wondering how many members of Yes would be inducted.

Other rock acts on this year's list of prospective inductees include Deep Purple, KISS and Nirvana. These acts along with Yes all have many connections to Rush. Deep Purple and Yes have all been cited by Rush as being huge influences on the band. As early touring mates, Rush and KISS developed a deep friendship and respect for each other, despite playing very different styles of music. Both Deep Purple and KISS have been on the ballot in the past but never chosen for induction. Nirvana only became eligible this year and will almost certainly be selected for induction. As Squire mentions in his interview, Nirvana drummer Dave Grohl along with his Foo Fighters bandmate Taylor Hawkins inducted Rush in last year's ceremony, and Rush are all huge fans of Grohl's work with both the Foo Fighters and Nirvana. As 2013 inductees, the members of Rush were eligible to vote for the 5 nominees that they think are most deserving of induction in 2014, and both Geddy and Alex have already mentioned having submitted their ballots and voted for these artists in recent interviews. For the 2nd year in a row, the Rock Hall posted an online poll where fans can choose their top 5 nominees; Rush won last year's poll with over one quarter of the vote. The top 5 winners of this poll will get counted as one fan ballot vote in the final tally and KISS, Nirvana, Deep Purple and Yes all made the cut. The Future Rock Legends website has made their predictions for the 2014 class as well, and Yes makes their list along with KISS and Nirvana, but they think that Deep Purple will likely get snubbed again.

Comments

Page 1 of 5 - 1 2 3 4 5
#44 - Posted 12/23/13 @2:39AM by Enigmaticus [contact]

Even though the bi-partisan effort to induct Yes had failed this year, I do not think that the Yes aficionados should give up their efforts. Rush's induction was certainly a game changer; unfortunately, many members of the Rush fan base had chosen to join with the KISS army, instead of supporting Yes. Those individuals feel that Rush fans should have endorsed KISS, because KISS had chosen Rush as their tour mates during the early days.

As I had stated before, I feel was this was for financial gain, not completely altruistic reasons. Once Rush had changed their style, they were pretty much left to fend for themselves. Even so, Rush had chosen to take a more artistically satisfying route. At that point, their management should have teamed them up with more progressive rock acts. Since they did not, Rush had to forge their own way in the world of prog rock, without the support of their kindred brethren.

If Rush had opened for Yes instead, both artists would have benefitted tremendously, financially and creatively. But hindsight is 20-20. Let's not give up yet, If the bi-partisan effort to induct Yes goes into full swing again and if Rush's fan base can be motivated to support Rush's prog rock brethren, we should see Yes get back on the ballot again. This time though, it will be imperative that Rush's fan base support Rush's fellow prog rock brethren, in lieu of bands who were financially tied to them.
#43 - Posted 12/21/13 @12:52AM by Enigmaticus [contact]

The music of Kansas, specifically the song, 'Dust In The Wind' was my first introduction to the wonderful world of progressive rock. As far as Kansas' induction into the Rock & Roll Hall Of Fame is concerned, that is probably several years away. I am estimating that they might be inducted in 2019, at the earliest. I think that the inductions of: The Moody Blues, Yes, King Crimson, Jethro Tull, Gentle Giant and Styx will precede their induction.

Otherwise, I am very disappointed that only Peter Gabriel and Hall & Oates from my list of 5 nominees were inducted. I was definitely surprised that Yes, Deep Purple and The Zombies were not inducted also.
#42 - Posted 12/19/13 @12:14PM by jiminseattle [contact]

Killer tune, my fav is Miracles and Mayhem off of Masque.
#41 - Posted 12/19/13 @11:48AM by CraigJ [contact]

#40 - Agree on Kansas. "Sparks Of The Tempest" is one of my favorites.
#40 - Posted 12/18/13 @10:43PM by jiminseattle [contact]

Just an aside but I think Kansas should be inducted some day but probably never will be. The first time I saw them was in about '75 w Aerosmith and Nugent and Kansas blew them both away. I had never heard of them at the time. Then I saw the Leftoverture tour in the Paramount theatre a year or two later and they were fantastic. Now Steve can't sing anymore but they sure were amazing in the day. J
#39 - Posted 12/17/13 @10:36AM by dinoman [contact]

Hall and Oats?! WTF?
#38 - Posted 12/17/13 @10:36AM by dinoman [contact]

2014 Inductees have been announced. Yes did not make it, Kiss did. I guess Rush will not have to be conflicted as to whom to induct.
#37 - Posted 12/16/13 @3:12PM by What-A-Rush

I laugh as I write this because once I read this thread I immediately knew that 'Enigmaticus' would be THRILLED and would inevitably respond! I certainly understand why fans would be happy to see the guys in Rush induct Yes. So would I, truth be told. However, "hero worship" towards Yes notwithstanding, it could be argued that Rush inducting Kiss would be HUGE simply for the fact that BOTH Kiss and Rush have UNQUESTIONABLY been the "thorns" in the Hall's side for at least 10 years, and combine "public demand" with that, that's a LETHAL combination, in my opinion. After all, it's no coincidence that Rush, followed by Kiss this year, won the the Hall's official "fan vote" so I couldn't think of a better form of vindication towards the Hall than that, not to mention BOTH bands' detractors in general. Personally, I think that would be INCREDIBLE to witness!

Either way, I VOTED for the following:

KISS

Deep Purple

Chic

Peter Gabriel

The Replacements

Who I THINK will be inducted:

Chic

Nirvana

The Zombies

Linda Ronstadt

KISS ( LONG OVERDUE yet still crossing my fingers for a 2014 induction).

HOWEVER, as much as I'm crossing my fingers for Kiss' induction, it should be said that I'll be content if Deep Purple get the nod instead, rectifying a GLARING omission of the Hall for way too long! Can't wait to find out tomorrow!
Great comments everybody pro AND con.
#36 - Posted 12/16/13 @12:06AM by RushInHawaii [contact]

2012 was a good year for me. Got to see Yes for the first time ever, and Rush later in the year. Would love to see both again. It would be cool to see Geddy and Yes, in whatever configuration, jam at the RRHOF ceremony.
#35 - Posted 12/15/13 @9:54PM by Enigmaticus [contact]

When I had started creating my now long archived website, back in 1997, I had wanted to accomplish quite a few things:

1. Support the induction of Rush and other "prog rock," or "art rock" artists into the Rock & Roll Hall Of Fame.
2. Change everyone's perspective from Rush being classified as "heavy metal" to "progressive rock."
3. Improve the ratings on Rush albums and those recordings by other "progressive rock" artists.
4. Create an interest in progressive rock, which had previously abated, due to the onslaught of punk.

Once again, here is a link to that page:

Page 1 of 5 - 1 2 3 4 5