Thursday, December 5, 2013

Geddy Lee shares his favorite songs in new issue of Rolling Stone
10:08AM EST | comments (19) |

Rolling Stone 1198The latest issue of Rolling Stone magazine contains a feature on page 10 where several well-known artists share their current favorite songs, albums and music videos. One of the artists featured is Geddy Lee who describes 5 of his favorite songs/artists:

The Who - My Generation

So much of what I wanted to do when I was growing up was fashioned after listening to The Who. The bass is almost the lead instrument here, and that speaks to me, obviously.

Fleet Foxes - Your Protector

I've spent so much time listening to this. I'm moved by the unusual melody and harmony structures, the production and the great singing.

Björk - Isobel

This is a beautiful song. Björk's voice just slays me. I love how much emotion she brings to her songs, even when I don't understand what she's singing about - which is quite often.

Led Zeppelin - Communication Breakdown

I'll never forget us sitting around my room in 1969, listening to this song. We were blown away. Zep started a heaviness that didn't really exist before that.

Jethro Tull - Thick as a Brick

I know this betrays me as the progger I am, buy it was such a favorite piece of music for so many, many years. It was just pure prog magic. To me, it was the ultimate thing to aspire to.

You can check out a snapshot of the article here (thanks Paul V).

Comments

#19 - Posted 12/10/13 @2:56AM by Enigmaticus [contact]

#4.

While I do not disagree with your assertion that Rolling Stone magazine is not the periodical that it had been previously, I am certainly not surprised by it's more recent embracement of Rush. There certainly has been a love/hate relationship between their critics and how they have evaluated Rush's works over the past several decades. With respect to the first Rolling Stone record guide, a reviewer named Alan Niester had given Rush extremely atrocious ratings. However, in the second record guide, aka the "blue book" Rolling Stone had completely changed their perspective towards Rush. In fact, reviewer John Swenson had rated no less than 5 Rush albums with 4 star ratings: "2112," "Hemispheres," "Permanent Waves," "Moving Pictures" and "Exit... Stage Left."

Therefore a precedent had certainly been set; If Rolling Stone had wanted to embrace Rush, then they could do so at any time. Of course to much of Rush's fan base, Rolling Stone had been the enemy and every bad review had spurred Rush fans to buy more of their recordings. The end result was that Rush had become one of the most successful and revered bands amongst musicians, as well as their fan base, whereas critics had been generally contemptuous towards them.
#18 - Posted 12/6/13 @6:23PM by jiminseattle [contact]

Editing 101, focus on the correct visuals at the correct times.
#17 - Posted 12/6/13 @6:06PM by palidrummer11 [contact]

You've got to be kidding me. How could they mess that up?!?!
#16 - Posted 12/6/13 @5:03PM by jiminseattle [contact]

Yes Jackson it is true. During the explosions during the Carnies there is no focus as well as on many of Alex's solos. Sucks at least for me.
#15 - Posted 12/6/13 @4:21PM by palidrummer11 [contact]

yea thanks guys. Jupe, that's insane that your friend got it on time. good for him though. I doubt they're fixing the audio. I'm sure we would have heard something about that. That would be awesome though!
Jim, CA is in my top 3-5 all time too. Really sucks that this is getting such bad reviews. Wait, they actually panned AWAY from the pyro in Carnies??? I hope that's not what you meant! I JUST missed Carnies when I saw the theatrical version (I was late. It took me 2.5 hours to get there!!! LA really sucks sometimes). It's disappointing that they apparently did such a bad job with this amazing performance of amazing material.

Jackson
#14 - Posted 12/6/13 @12:12PM by jiminseattle [contact]

That bites Jackson! You all know I am all about Rush and Clockwork is my favorite album of all time. That being said, I am disappointed with the release. Just my humble opinion but don't like the production. Panning away from Alex's solos frequently and away from the boom boom on Carnies is weak. To all of you who love it, good for you. I am pleased you are pleased.
#13 - Posted 12/6/13 @7:45AM by jupeguyowensound [contact]

#11- That really sucks pali, I feel bad for you. A friend of mine ordered the deluxe box set and received it on Nov. 20th (as i posted earlier) which makes it even stranger that some people like yourself are having to wait for so long to get yours. Maybe they are trying to fix the audio mix on the blu-ray and dvd's before shipping the rest out? Apparently the mix on the CD's is not a problem.
#12 - Posted 12/6/13 @4:19AM by Xaromir [contact]

For some reason when I think about the Who's "My Generation", I think about half dead pensioners or children singing it - which is kind of "ehh".
#11 - Posted 12/5/13 @11:38PM by palidrummer11 [contact]

So has anyone else still not received the Deluxe Package??? I just left a long voicemail to Showtech Merch. It's almost three weeks late now.
#10 - Posted 12/5/13 @8:04PM by limlight81 [contact]

I'm surprise to read that he like BJORK Isobel very cool!

Rush FAQ: All That's Left To Know About Rock's Greatest Power Trio