Wednesday, October 16, 2013

Yes, Deep Purple, KISS among nominees for induction into Rock and Roll Hall of Fame's Class of 2014
10:28AM EST | comments (37) |

YesThe nominees for induction into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame for 2014 have been announced, and for the first time in 15 years Rush fans have nothing to complain about. That's because the band was finally nominated and ultimately selected for induction into the Hall last year. Rush's induction may have helped open the doors for other progressive rock acts as prog-rock pioneers and one of Rush's biggest influences - Yes - has finally been nominated this year. From the Cleveland Plain Dealer:

...Rush may also serve as the groundbreaker for Yes. Until the induction last year of Geddy Lee, Alex Lifeson and Neil Peart - 15 years after the band became eligible - prog-rock fans had frequently accused Rock Hall voters of bias against their favorite genre. ...

Other rock acts on this year's list of prospective inductees include Deep Purple, KISS, Peter Gabriel and Nirvana. These 4 acts along with Yes all have many connections to Rush. Peter Gabriel-era Genesis along with Deep Purple and Yes have all been cited by Rush as being huge influences on the band. As early touring mates, Rush and KISS developed a deep friendship and respect for each other, despite playing very different styles of music. Both Deep Purple and KISS have been on the ballot in the past but never chosen for induction; Peter Gabriel was inducted as a member of Genesis a few years ago. Nirvana only became eligible this year and will almost certainly be selected for induction. Nirvana drummer Dave Grohl along with his Foo Fighters bandmate Taylor Hawkins inducted Rush in last year's ceremony, and Rush are all huge fans of Grohl's work with both the Foo Fighters and Nirvana. As 2013 inductees, the members of Rush are now eligible to vote for the 5 nominees that they think are most deserving of induction in 2014, and my guess is that Yes and the aforementioned bands will likely be included on all 3 ballots. For the 2nd year in a row, the Rock Hall has posted an online poll where fans can choose their top 5 nominees; Rush won last year's poll with over one quarter of the vote. The top 5 winners of this poll will get counted as one fan ballot vote in the final tally. So help support Yes and the other nominated rock acts and go vote! The inductees should be announced sometime in December. Here's what Yes bassist Chris Squire had to say to RollingStone.com last year when asked whether he was upset that Rush was getting inducted before Yes:

... I can't object to that. Logistically, it's probably difficult for whoever the committee is to bring in Yes. Rush is fairly simple. It's the same three guys and always has been. They deserve to be there, no doubt about that. But there still seems to be a certain bias towards early-Seventies prog rock bands like Yes and King Crimson. ...

Comments

Page 1 of 4 - 1 2 3 4
#37 - Posted 10/17/13 @10:24PM by conniemack99 [contact]

Great discussion, and so nice that OUR BOYS are in so we don't have to gripe and dwell on that anymore! Not including the ones nominated, there have been at least a half dozen more bands mentioned in this thread that are no brainers to be in the HOF. So crazy that they are not in.

So how about let's shift the discussion to the ROCK artists/bands that ARE in but don't deserve to be. I'll start it off: Jackson Browne, Bonnie Raitt, The Crickets (separate from Buddy Holly), Guns n Roses, Lovin' Spoonful, and Traffic. Not even going to get into all of the disco/pop/rap groups as that is a whole other discussion.

Tawk amongst yourselves......
#36 - Posted 10/17/13 @7:38PM by liquidmuse3 [contact]

Enigmaticus! I LOVE your Sade argument. When you've gone 30 years now, & you're still playing arenas, even though you come out with an album every almost 10 years, that's something. But what's really something is Sade essentially became THE sex music. That's gotta be acknowledged somehow ;o)
But Chic being in over Duran just strikes me as, I dunno---Duran were bigger (& had a longer career), but Chic did really well, & literally, there is no Duran without Chic. If Duran ever get in I'll be shocked (think the Rush critical bias, & multiply it by 10), but they were pretty great for a while, & had a certain level of quality for 30 years.
But how is ANYONE who's ever used electronics in music in over Kraftwerk, I'll never know. Again, this is RS's stupid BS about "If it don't have three chords & the (socialistic) truth, it's not good music". Heyzues.
#35 - Posted 10/17/13 @7:27PM by liquidmuse3 [contact]

Connie Mack! Yeah, I think Nirvana & Chic are like the Gale Sayers in the NFL HOF---so sublime/cut short, that they have to be considered. Nirvana's songwriter killed himself, so we didn't get the chance to hate/judge his 4th or 12th record. I could argue Kurt's musical knowledge was so limited (& his music was so based on anger), I wonder where does he go with it. But Nirvana legitimately shifted the popular paradigm away from Warrant & Michael Jackson, & there's something to be said for that effort.
& Chic WAS disco, & that met a violent end as well ;o) , but they cut such a swath thru the 80's, PLUS the better pop purveyors today love them so (the songwriters, I mean), I see them as important.
Priest & Maiden...sure, I guess...just not a huge metal fan (& Metallica & Zeppelin & Sabbath are in, so I'm good ;o) , but just like Deep Purple, a lot of important (& previously marginalized) people think they should be in, so I acquiesce to them. Def Leppard I always saw as Mutt Lange's band. The minute he left the producer/co-songwriter chair, the (popular) output seemed to dry up. Again, I'm sure I'm wrong on that (& lord knows Lep had two massive albums)...I think it comes down to, again, the "caretaker/gatekeeper of culture" mentality...& RS thought they were keeping Rush out based on that mentality---till too many cultural/musical touchstones came out & said "Rush are cool. Address this".
& yeah (& on the day Morrissey's autobiography seems to be a big deal), the Replacements over the Smiths is f*cking comical & asinine. SO beyond dumb. I'm ok with the 'Mats getting in eventually (because SO many critics thought they were great), but you're right...Duran (controversial, but important & good), The Cure, Depeche, NO/JD not even being nominated yet is such a "We're an American Hall of Fame" move, it's almost literally criminal.
#34 - Posted 10/17/13 @4:53PM by conniemack99 [contact]

The Replacements also not deserving. Talk about niche...I bet 95% of America has never even heard of them. If not 99%.
#33 - Posted 10/17/13 @4:25PM by conniemack99 [contact]

In order of "deservingness": 1. KISS, 2. DEEP PURPLE, 3. YES, 4. HALL AND OATES, 5. GABRIEL.

Sorry, but in my opinion, Chic and Nirvana do not deserve to be in. Both were too limited in their creative output.

Where are Priest, Maiden, and Def Leppard? We shouldn't even be wasting our breath on Chic and the like until they are in. And if we are talking about "early influencers" (as RS likes to call them), what about Blue Cheer, Budgy, and Grand Funk?

Also, to #9's point on "1st alternative" bands, it's pretty amazing that none of these are in or even nominated. Not that they are my musical cup of tea, but you can't deny the influence of The Cure, Duran Duran, and Depeche Mode. Not to mention the record sales. Did you know that A-ha has sold over 60 million albums?
#32 - Posted 10/17/13 @9:57AM by Enigmaticus [contact]

I was somewhat disappointed with the nominees list this year. However, I was delighted to see Yes and Peter Gabriel's nomination.

I have been an aficionado of Yes' music since the summer of 1981. They are my co-favorite band musically. Even though they have a few albums which leave little to be desired: "Big Generator," "Union," "Talk" and "Open Your Eyes," for example, much of Yes' work is superlative. When I had first heard 'Roundabout,' I thought that this song was by an earlier version of Rush. Please keep in mind that Rush is nearly as old as Yes, they just did not release a single or album for their first five years.

I still think that Yes ranks in the top 10 of all rock groups, as far as future rock historians are concerned. This past year, I have really been pushing for the nomination and induction of the following artists: The Moody Blues, Duran Duran, Carly Simon, Sade, Electric Light Orchestra, The Doobie Brothers and Foreigner. Therefore, I was disappointed to not see any of those artists on the nomination list.

As far as Yes is concerned, I could see all three members of Rush inducting them. Overall, I think that Nirvana is the shoo in. Nile Rodgers is a brilliant producer, but I would have much preferred Duran Duran to be chosen, in lieu of Chic.

As far as the other nominees are concerned, I had voted for: Peter Gabriel, Deep Purple, Hall & Oates and The Zombies.
#31 - Posted 10/17/13 @9:07AM by helix [contact]

I voted for YES, KISS and the Replacements; all significant in different ways . . .

-YES for it's musical virtuosity as well as contributions to Rock sound and tech industry (after the Grateful Dead, YES really were the front movers in developing rock music for arena presentation)

-KISS for it's contributions to youth culture and rock merchandising to the entertainment industry

-the 'Mats for bringing actual song writing to the American punk movement and for being a true regional and independent "punk" band to the major labels via their eventual signing to Sire records, something that Nirvana certainly benefitted from a decade or so later

I agree whole heartedly with the mentions here regarding Joy Division and the Smiths.

it's also a crime that Iron Maiden haven't been nominated

Sonic Youth also should be in consideration
#30 - Posted 10/17/13 @8:13AM by MRM45 [contact]

For me personally, I'd induct: Yes, Deep Purple, Peter Gabriel, CHIC and Hall & Oates.

Realistically: Yes, Deep Purple, Peter Gabriel, Kiss and Nirvana. I'm not a huge fan of either Kiss or Nirvana and think that both are extremely over-rated, BUT I do recognize the impact of both bands on music as a whole.
#29 - Posted 10/17/13 @6:57AM by holeinone53575

I think you have to give it up for Kiss. Otherwise you're being just a dick head.
#28 - Posted 10/17/13 @12:44AM by liquidmuse3 [contact]

Heck, me again (sorry, I love this stuff ;o) What A Rush, I think Kiss is the "elephant in the room" band, as you put it. Sure, if that room only comprised older hard rockers, Deep Purple getting in is a "FINALLY" moment...but I think Kiss getting in is the big deal. Their fans will rival Rush's in terms of presense at the show, & even Grohl brought up Kiss as a cultural touchstone during his Rush speech. To be fair, Kiss influenced SO many bands & musicians across the board. Sure, most of them dropped the *musical &/or show-y" influence early, but Kiss get a shout out from SO many people, because they made being a musician seem like you could join the Justice League or something ;o). & people almost rightfully bag on Kiss' music, but they would've been dead mid-76 if the music just sucked (why aren't Gwar or dare I say it Alice Cooper more popular?). They've got a lot of catchy jams, & when every key hard rock or alternative artist for the last 30 years seem to have a Kiss story, that just needs to be acknowledged in some way. Rolling Stone tried to be the tastemaker for music, so they veered to political folk rock, & then U2 & Pearl Jam...but Rush was a blind spot for them, because they didn't know how credible they were to a lot of important artists. In a cheesier (or at least earlier in life) way, so was Kiss.

Page 1 of 4 - 1 2 3 4