Monday, October 7, 2013

Geddy Lee watches and comments on Rush videos in new Rolling Stone interview
1:00PM EST | comments (29) |

Rock Hall induction Crossroads jamRolling Stone has posted a gallery to their website consisting of 10 Rush videos along with Geddy Lee's comments after watching each one; from the Laura Secord Bandstand video of Working Man from 1974 on up through the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame induction ceremony all-star jam of Crossroads. They also threw in a couple of fan videos, the 1976 Passaic 2112 bootleg, La Villa Strangiato at PinkPop, the Time Stand Still music video and more. Here are Geddy's comments on the Rock Hall induction all-star jam, and how they almost played a Led Zeppelin tune:

... "There were all kinds of songs suggested for the song at the end. For a while, it was going to be a Zeppelin song. And then they asked me my opinion and I said, 'We should do 'Crossroads' since all these blues artists are being inducted.' 'Crossroads' is kind of the transition point from blues into rock and it was instrumental in my career. That's why we put it on our Feedback album, too. I think it was Robbie Robertson who made the call. At the meeting, he stood up and said, 'That's the way to go. 'Crossroads' is a cool song.' It's a great jam song, let's face it."

You can check out the entire gallery along with Geddy's comments here (thanks lsorski).

Comments

Page 1 of 3 - 1 2 3
#29 - Posted 10/8/13 @5:50PM by jaeger [contact]

I guess the speeches should be redacted to add to the mystery!
#28 - Posted 10/8/13 @4:28PM by random_sample [contact]

#26- Already had my question answered. Thanks. It's an "old joke" I've never heard before or seen in any awards ceremonies I've watched. Not that I watch many of them, since most are very very lame. Either that, or I just never caught it, until Neil used it in his speech.
#27 - Posted 10/8/13 @3:30PM by hannuFIN [contact]

I am just speechless of this Japanese yl's version of YYZ. OMG x millions of times. Tears after watching this, so cool switched the synth of with old school RUSH t on. I'haven't ever hear Geddy so excited after reading his comments. What a bassline and timing !!!!!!!!
#26 - Posted 10/8/13 @3:18PM by Most Endangered Species [contact]

It's an old joke. People have been using "indict" instead of "induct" for as long as there have been induction ceremonies.
#25 - Posted 10/8/13 @12:39PM by random_sample [contact]

#23- Thanks, Palidrummer. That sounds like it could be the explanation for it. I wasn't aware of the other speech ,where someone said "indict". I couldn't see Neil making such a big goofup. He's such a perfectionist and prepares for everything so thoroughly. Thanks again,for shedding light on that.
#24 - Posted 10/8/13 @11:59AM by RushFanForever [contact]

When The Eagles were inducted into the Rock & Roll Hall Of Fame in 1998, former member Bernie Leadon also joked about being indicted into the hall starting at the 2:45 mark.

#23 - Posted 10/8/13 @11:32AM by palidrummer11 [contact]

randomsample:

I was there at the induction. Someone said "indict" instead of "induct" earlier in the night during one of the speeches. I don't remember if it was supposed to be a joke or not. I think it was. But Neil was making a joke out of that when he said "indict" in his speech. You can see him smile a little when he says it. It was pretty funny in the moment.
#22 - Posted 10/8/13 @10:58AM by CraigJ [contact]

I would fly to Japan to see Rush play in front of a completely silent audience.
#21 - Posted 10/8/13 @10:47AM by michinman [contact]

#18 - I think that may be just part of it. More likely is that Rush probably wouldn't make much money here touring. I may be waaaay off, but I don't think Rush is all that popular in this part of Asia. I've been in Korea for quite some time (next door to Japan) and I've met many folks here, young and old, who've never heard of Rush. To be honest, I don't think I've met one person who has heard of the band. Of course, I don't go around asking very often, but I don't think they're a big deal here.
#20 - Posted 10/8/13 @10:04AM by random_sample [contact]

Geddy's description of David Foster (Tears are not enough) ,as a "really schmaltzy producer" was perfect. lol. So true.
This is way after the fact, but has bugged me a little, whenever I have seen the footage of Neil's acceptance speech at the RRHOF ceremony. Am I wrong, or did Neil goof up and mix up the words "Induct" and "Indict". When he refers to the Foo Fighters, he says maybe someday we "will be indicting them". It didn't sound right ,to me. I'm wondering if he was using the proper word, there. I've always understood "indict", to mean being similar to "convicted" , like as in "convicted for a crime" or "indicted for a crime". Can anyone clear this up for me?

Page 1 of 3 - 1 2 3