Friday, August 23, 2013

New Neil Peart news update at NeilPeart.net
9:24PM EST | comments (36) |

[NEWS, WEATHER, and SPORTS: August, 2013 - It's Not Over When It's Over]

Neil Peart in his Bubba's bowling shirtJust a few weeks after his last update, Neil Peart has once again updated the news page on his website. The August, 2013 entry is titled It's Not Over When It's Over and focuses on the final few shows of the Clockwork Angels tour, particularly the final show in Kansas City:

... The emotional resonance of the final show, in Kansas City, inside us and around us, could only compare to the first show of our Vapor Trails tour, in Hartford, Connecticut, on June 28, 2002. That "new beginning" came after five intensely difficult years since our last performance on July 4, 1997. When that Hartford show was over, I said to our manager, Ray, "It would have been a shame if that had never happened again." He smiled and nodded, and we raised our glasses of champagne.

Eleven years later, that August night in Kansas City was the ultimate tour-ending show in all our thirty-nine years of "roadwork." It affected us in ways we could never have expected, and most of that emotion was centered on the Clockwork Angels String Ensemble. Usually the Guys at Work, band and crew, finish a tour believing it's just a break-that it will all start up again at some point, and we'll all see each other again. All seven of the "stringers" knew that this time it truly was, like the lovely title of a Hemingway story, "The End of Something." ...

Neil also talks about the post-tour bowling party which actor Paul Rudd attended (Rudd made an onstage guest appearance at the Kansans City show), the Red Deer benefit show and more. You can read the entire story on Neil's website at this location.

Comments

Page 1 of 4 - 1 2 3 4
#36 - Posted 8/27/13 @5:29PM by nodrush [contact]

MG is not all there, never has anything positive to say about NP. Smells like big time envy.
#35 - Posted 8/27/13 @4:15PM by liquidmuse3 [contact]

Weighing in on MG...kinda weird that you say "Oh, Neil, I don't wanna know!". Well, then keep him on your pedestal. I'm a fan of his books but not so much his blogs, & I generally skim (unless something grabs me) to the band stuff. Since this is HIS blog, I don't feel the need to critique the guy writing what he wants to. Anybody who fancies himself a writer will release his stuff. You're entitled to your opinion, but people DO enjoy the blogs, & he LIKES to do it. & it is a little strange that you say you want tour tidbits...yet critique him for being too open. That sorta makes no sense. Just because he doesn't write EXACTLY what you want him to, it's "BORING!". Yeeesh.

& I frankly don't get this "he's so open now it doesn't suit him!". Uh, guy's been writing books for 15 years now, so it's not new, & he's been the lyricist, so clearly he's been open to expression (again, in his own way) this whole time. For you to state what "suits" Neil or not sounds like you have a fantasy/strict monolith of What Neil Peart Is, & you seem slightly devastated that that just isn't the case (& probably never was). That said, after his tragedies (& with added age), maybe he's just in a healthy "f*ck it" mode. That plus the semi-new fangled EXPRESSIONS on stage (plus finally some improvisation), & it sounds as if Peart is evolving, which is what a living, breathing artist hopes to do. It's not 1981 anymore.
#34 - Posted 8/27/13 @2:15PM by jeweloutofreach

I am now inspired to take a trip into Oregon and visit the exceptional wine country out there. I was in Portland once in late September and it was absolutely gorgeous. This is a great read (scroll to bottom) on potential destinations:

This is why I love the NP blogs.

VT? It is a special work. Don't know about top 5 but it is a solid effort. I always thought that How It Is was a great song. Kinda like Bravest Face on SnA or Losing IT. Little gems of grandeur! Was fortunate enough to see them lay down Celing Unlimited early in the VT tour. Good tidings!
#33 - Posted 8/27/13 @1:45PM by dinoman [contact]

Now wait a minute. I happen to love Vapor Trails. Determining what is in my top 5 would be a difficult task, but VT would certainly be in the running.
#32 - Posted 8/27/13 @11:48AM by hannuFIN [contact]

and a person who says that VT is Classic Rush, top 5, must be a troll. What a joke. Excellent blog from Neil, as always. What a person he is.
#31 - Posted 8/27/13 @9:21AM by driven2theedge [contact]

Really enjoyed this update from Neil as he describes riding in my part of the world, the Northwest. I have ridden a number of the places he talked about in that area as well as some of the intermountain areas too (Flaming Gorge, Yellowstone, etc.)

For all you motorcyclists out there, the North Cascades Highway, Washington State Route 20 is an incredible ride!
#30 - Posted 8/26/13 @11:24AM by More Evil Twin of ByTor

MGRushFan has proven to be a troll so many times, I'm amazed anyone still responds to his/her posts.

Anyhow ... I'm totally onboard with #'s 26 and 27. I travel for a living, and really enjoy Neil's musings on the subject. While I too despise being away from my wife/kids, my job also requires that I hit the road if I want to support my family. (Granted, I think Neil's career is a little cooler, though I truly enjoy doing what I do.) The thing that Neil "gets" is that you need to take advantage of travel as an opportunity to learn and expand. If you travel enough, you either become jaded by it, or you become almost spiritual about it. Like Neil, I tend to lean toward that "spiritual" feeling.
#29 - Posted 8/26/13 @11:22AM by jeweloutofreach

Great read. Love the stories, locations, natural settings etc.. I think the next tour will be the last major RUSH tour. There is no denying the hard work and dedication that it takes to put on a tour with so many moving parts and so may expectations.
#28 - Posted 8/25/13 @9:46PM by Shirking_Man [contact]

Great stuff from NEP as per usual. The critics have a right to their opinions of course, although I sometimes wonder if we take NEP's blogs (which, after all, are (a) detailed; (b) extremely well-written; and (c) free of charge) a bit too much for granted.
#27 - Posted 8/25/13 @5:27PM by Iacobillo [contact]

First, let me echo and acknowledge gratefully everything Rockdoc wrote. That post saved a lot of typing and was so well written that I could not have said it better.

But I must speak of my own appreciation for Mr. Peart's writings. As a priest (NOT of Syrinx, but of ecclesiastical nature) I find that even his musings on religion are helpful in keeping things in perspective and seeing things in a different perspective (in agreement or not) and being open to understanding another person's point of view.

As a drummer and former touring musician, I am always delighted with the insights he allows us to see beyond the lighted stage. Especially in this most recent blog when he spoke so poignantly about the emotions of the final show and saying good-bye to the CASE. His drumming continues to inspire me to continually improve even "at my age"!

The CA album and tour was very special for me as it was the first time since the Beatle's Abbey Road album that I heard an album and instantly fell in love with every track. And seeing the Guys at Work working so hard and having such fun on stage was truly inspirational. I am their age and it inspired me to never stop growing in what I do and never, ever forgetting to have fun on the way!

That's the final reason I guess that I enjoy Mr. Peart's travel logs. And I've learned there is a lot more in this country that I have to explore as well as in that wonderful country up North.

I am grateful to live in a time and place where I can appreciate what Rush has accomplished as a group and as individuals each in their own unique style.

Page 1 of 4 - 1 2 3 4