Saturday, March 23, 2013

New Rush feature in the March, 2013 issue of Metal Hammer
10:47PM EST | comments (21) |

Metal Hammer March 2013There's a large feature on Rush in the March, 2013 issue of Metal Hammer magazine titled Rush and the Weird Rise of Prog Metal. John over at Cygnus-X1.net has transcribed the entire article and made it available online at this location. They speak with Geddy Lee about Rush's contributions as pioneers of heavy progressive music. Towards the end of the article Geddy addresses the band's upcoming 40th anniversary:

.... "I don't think about things like the 40th anniversary. We have no plans to celebrate it. We did enough for the 30th. So, if anything is being planned, it will be without our involvement. We are still looking forward, not back." ...

So this unfortunately makes it sound unlikely that the band will embark on any kind of 40th anniversary tour. You can read the entire article online here.

Comments

Page 1 of 3 - 1 2 3
#21 - Posted 3/27/13 @9:45AM by Surfguy [contact]

R40 could have been an epic acoustic tour with backing strings that could have been really different.

Bah... ;)
#20 - Posted 3/25/13 @4:40PM by John E. [contact]

If the boys ever do another tour celebrating past albums, I think they would break the bank with AFTK / Hemispheres combo. Can you imagine ? Vocals be damned! Just play the songs in the correct key and speed and I'll be thrilled. Hell, pipe in old vocals for all I care. I'm not keen on Geddy's more recent sound to be honest. I appreciate the style that so many once panned as horrific. Screw that !! It was vintage Geddy Lee.
#19 - Posted 3/25/13 @1:10PM by jupeguyowensound [contact]

I think Neil played in a few bands before he played in Hush. Mumblin' Sumpthin', JR Flood etc. I think was with Hush at the time he was asked to audition for Rush.
#18 - Posted 3/25/13 @10:53AM by Earthshiner [contact]

No R40 ... great news!
#17 - Posted 3/25/13 @10:46AM by Fish Eyelands [contact]

Yay! No R40! R30 was mainly a tweek of the Vapor Trails Tour and the only thing that acknowledged the 30 years was the opening medley. Actually the Snakes And Arrows tour was more a celebration of the past- Entre Nous, Circumstances, Bangkok. Give me more regular tours with more new music! And make it snappy! ;-P
#16 - Posted 3/25/13 @10:15AM by mkefromTO [contact]

I thought that Neil's first Canadian band was Flood not Hush.
#15 - Posted 3/25/13 @2:06AM by cagster [contact]

I am in the camp for new music. This band however has given me much more than I could have ever imagined over the years. Honestly I have zero complaints, I just sit back and enjoy. Some may think that's naïve but I don't really give a f---! RUSH On!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1
#14 - Posted 3/24/13 @7:17PM by flyingmelon53 [contact]

I'm seeing them again in July and the only other thing I need is a Power Windows 5.1 release.
#13 - Posted 3/24/13 @7:03PM by holeinone53575

I am going out to see Rush a couple times this Summer because I'm not sure when they will tour again. I hope they have some rocket sauce left. Would like to see them work with Broon again.
#12 - Posted 3/24/13 @4:09PM by Enigmaticus [contact]

Even for great musicians, creating new and interesting music is a very difficult process. If Rush has a tendency to release a masterpiece approximately every 5 years like they have throughout their career, that is not necessarily a bad thing. I can certainly wait 5 more years to hear their next magnum opus.

As far as a 40th anniversary retrospective is concerned, that is really not out of the question. Please remember that Neil had joined Rush on July 29, 1974. So, seeing a retrospective in 2015 is not really out of the question. Whether or not Rush will tour before 2017, is entirely up to them. I still feel that they have another album left in them. I feel that it will probably be more acoustic and will probably feature a symphony orchestra, but that is just my opinion. Every recording that they have made since the release of "Different Stages" has been a bonus for us. We are very fortunate to have lived in the time of one of the all- time great composers; you would have to go back a long time to hear such timeless music. Certainly,The Beatles had broken up over 42 years ago, before that you would have to go back several decades to the time of the big band era. Then several more decades to the time of Tchaikovsky, to hear such excellence in music.

Page 1 of 3 - 1 2 3