Monday, January 14, 2013

Anthrax's Anthem covers EP due out in March
11:55AM EST | comments (20) |

UPDATE - 1/18@11:38AM: RollingStone.com has made the track available for streaming online at this location. The EP will be titled Anthems rather than Anthem and release on March 19th.

Back in April of last year we first heard that thrash metal pioneers Anthrax would be including a cover of Rush's Anthem on an upcoming tribute EP. According to Blabbermouth.net (thanks Mike O), the EP will be titled Anthem and is due out on March 18th. The EP will also include covers of Thin Lizzy's Jailbreak, AC/DC's TNT, Cheap Tricks' Big Eyes, Boston's Smokin' and Journey's Keep On Runnin'. This past August Artisan News Service sat down with Anthrax members Scott Ian and Frank Bello for an interview to discuss the EP and specifically the Anthem cover:

Scott Ian: It's songs that in some way, shape or form we've been playing or jamming on for our whole lives. Because you really don't want to have to work too hard on these things. Although the Rush song is a bit of a bitch. I can't say that's an easy one. But it's a song we all know and we're all familiar with. So then - of course - you take on the challenge of really trying to nail it and do it justice.

Frank Bello: Even the bass parts - I have to get every little part of Geddy down because I'm a fanatic with that stuff and I have to. I don't want to leave it. I'm still working on the little bits. It's great - I love it.

Rush was apparently made aware of the cover via drummer Charlie Benante's YouTube clip of him laying down the drum track:

Scott Ian: Charlie [Benante] bumped into Neil Peart at the Golden Gods Awards a few months ago and Neil actually said to Charlie, "yeah- we heard you guys were covering Anthem. That's so cool. We put the clip of you playing drums up on our website", or something like that. I swear to God - Charlie was like ... the light, the glow that was coming off of him after that. I've never seen anything quite like it.

Comments

#20 - Posted 1/20/13 @10:31AM by Enigmaticus [contact]

I really wonder if Weird Al Yankovic, as the master of parody, would do a tribute to Rush? I can definitely see him doing, 'The Analogy Kid,' 'The Hay The Wind Blows,' 'Available Flight,' and 'Tom's Lawyer.' I think that rhyming Peart would be a little difficult, unless you pronounced it as part. Please imagine these lyrics to Tom's Lawyer:

A modern day, litigator
With a great, golf drive
Today's Tom's Lawyer
suing to survive.

Yes his mind is now for rent
To every god and government
Always wealthy, but discontent
He knows client's are permanent
But cash is.

So, what you say about his company
Is what you'll say about society
Well dressed men in suits they'll be
The court room.
#19 - Posted 1/19/13 @9:31PM by Enigmaticus [contact]

What about Tom's Lawyer and Available Flight?
#18 - Posted 1/16/13 @11:07AM by kjbird [contact]

#16 - imagine the lyrics to that one - quite comical :-)

#17 - great story! LOL
#17 - Posted 1/16/13 @4:56AM by oldprogrockfan [contact]

When the 3 L.P. set Archives (the fist 3 Rush albums) was released in 1978 my friend John called me up to tell me "Rush have a new album out and it is called R Chives" (a small onion)!

Old prog rock fan.
London (-3) England.
#16 - Posted 1/15/13 @11:43PM by cpb [contact]

kjbird, Closer To The Peart was greatness!
#15 - Posted 1/15/13 @11:17PM by kjbird [contact]

Dog Tears - bahahaha (ok, i'll stop)
#14 - Posted 1/15/13 @11:16PM by kjbird [contact]

Or, Leave that Thing Clone!, Sticky it Out, Cold Tire, The Color of Bright, Closer to the Peart....ok, i'll stop. I'm amusing only myself at this point.
#13 - Posted 1/15/13 @11:00PM by kjbird [contact]