Wednesday, November 14, 2012

The Royal Philharmonic Orchestra Plays The Music Of Rush now available for purchase
4:56PM EST | comments (22) |

UPDATE - 11/16@9:39AM: John over at Cygnus-X1.net has posted scans of the liner notes and album art.

UPDATE - 11/15@7:56PM: The album is also available for listening on Spotify.

The world famous Royal Philharmonic Orchestra's new set of studio recordings celebrating the music of Rush was released yesterday and is now available for purchase. The orchestra is conducted by BAFTA award winning musician and composer Richard Harvey, and is well-known for their symphonic interpretations of Queen, Pink Floyd, ABBA and other artists. The CD includes dramatic reinterpretations of 9 Rush classics including Tom Sawyer, The Spirit Of Radio, Red Barchetta, Limelight and more. Their version of 2112: Overture is available on SoundCloud at this link. Here are some more details from the press release:

... Nearly sixty musicians and thirty vocalists transform nine of RUSH's greatest hits into even more intricate, soaring orchestral works. The Royal Philharmonic Orchestra covers the best-known classics, from "Working Man", the self-titled debut album track that launched RUSH's career in the U.S. to "Subdivisions" from "Signals", the album that proved electronic rock could reside in the top ten. The band's most successful record, "Moving Pictures", is represented by rousing versions of "Tom Sawyer" and "Red Barchetta". Special guest guitarists include Steve Rothery of MARILLION on "Working Man" and Adrian Smith of IRON MAIDEN on "Red Barchetta". The Windrush Choir provides backing vocals and solos. ... The orchestra was recorded at the legendary Abbey Road Studios in London, conducted by BAFTA Award-winning musician and composer Richard Harvey. ... The album was produced by James Graydon and Richard Cottle, who also arranged all the music ...

For a complete track list and to purchase your copy go here.

Comments

Page 1 of 3 - 1 2 3
#22 - Posted 2/28/13 @9:38PM by RedStarPriest

The vocals on Subdivisions had my brother and me in serious stitches. We could see Rush the Opera in our minds. Leotards, masks and ballet...it made me laugh so hard I HAD TO BUY IT FROM I-TUNES, LOL...and then I promptly apologized for all the flack I've given to those who believe the end of the world is at hand.
#21 - Posted 11/16/12 @10:15AM by oriongal [contact]

#20 - why do you get to be the authority on what is or is not a Rush fan, may I ask? You say the definition is not wanting anyone else to touch their music, but others (myself included) may see others wanting to cover their music as just another form of acclaim, as a tribute. As a way of saying, this is worthy. To have that kind of acclaim strictly from the fans is great, but it's also got to be great to have it come in from other bands and even classical musicians too. Obviously, someone felt it they were worthy of that kind of notice, no? And personally, however much I do or don't enjoy someone else's 'interpretation' of Rush, I still like it when the band gets this kind of recognition from the music world as well as from the fans.

Along those same lines, as previously noted here, the entire string section came out into the audience/pit area during the encore in Tampa, and were rocking out and singing along just like we do. And that in itself was also an acclaim of sorts. It was also saying, both to the band and to the fans who saw them, that while they are classical musicians who have been contracted for these performances (the implication being, they're paid to do a job, but nothing says they have to _like_ the music, they just have to _play_ it), they're also (at least by this point) fans themselves and they are enjoying it like we do. It's not every rock band out there who could accomplish that, and it was really great to see.

I can completely understand why anyone would not be into this, don't get me wrong. I actually do like it, but then I didn't expect it to sound like anything other than classical music to begin with. I am actually in agreement with you on the vocals tho, I think I'd rather have had them all be purely instrumental. But, I guess I'm also not a true Rush fan by your definition either. Guess it's a good thing we don't all have to prove ourselves 'true' in order to be able to attend the shows and enjoy the h*ll out of them... ;)
#20 - Posted 11/16/12 @9:20AM by marty from clayton [contact]

Ed, that's not fair - you let this 'hermy' guy trash talk me, and he's not even a true Rush fan.
#19 - Posted 11/16/12 @9:18AM by marty from clayton [contact]

Well #18/19 - You think you know so much, but you're obviously not a true Rush fan. A true Rush fan would not want to let anyone touch anything by Rush.

And I can't believe Ed would allow your second comment. That was completely uncalled for.
#18 - Posted 11/15/12 @9:50PM by hermy [contact]

#17....You need to settle yourself down!!

I'm tired of your Negative Nelly attitude on this!
#17 - Posted 11/15/12 @9:12PM by marty from clayton [contact]

Subdivisions actually had some promise up until the instant the voice kicked in. How embarrassing!
#16 - Posted 11/15/12 @6:52PM by lapirata2 [contact]

#15, you had go to and make me listen to that track didn't you. :-~

I thought Fly by Night and the Overture were decent, although I'll probably never listen to it again.
#15 - Posted 11/15/12 @5:03PM by UnstableCondition

Wow. Just. Wow. The vocals on Subdivisions are beyond horrible.

I'm actually laughing as I listen to it. "Ridiculous" doesn't even begin to describe it.
#14 - Posted 11/15/12 @4:41PM by Bruno Sampaio Barbosa [contact]

Listen to the whole album for free:

#13 - Posted 11/15/12 @1:02PM by Professordrums [contact]

Since it was under $9, I bought it off of iTunes and listened through this a few times since last night. Overall, I do like it. I enjoy when songs I know like the back of my hand are re-arranged into something "new". However, I do not like that they had vocalists for some songs; made the song sound like a cheesy Rush musical or something. I also don't like that they added in some songs straight bass guitar, drums, and guitar. I felt this made it too Rock instead of a true orchestral arrangement. Overall, it's a good listen...and certainly makes these great songs very cinematic.

Page 1 of 3 - 1 2 3