Wednesday, October 24, 2012

Super Deluxe CD/BD reissue of 2112 coming December 18th
11:16AM EST | comments (25) |

UPDATE - 10/24@9:25PM: Since the cat's now out of the bag, Rush sound engineer Rich Chycki chimed in via Twitter to admit that he's been working on the 5.1 remix of 2112:

Yep, words out. I've been working on the surround remix of #Rush #2112 for months. Queue rear waterfall. #holygrail

So this seems to verify that the reissue will indeed contain a 5.1 surround sound remix of the album as we had guessed.

----- snip -----

Rush 2112According to a post at MusicTap.net, Mercury Records will reissue a Super Deluxe CD/BD version of Rush's classic 2112 album this coming December 18th. No further details were given, but one would assume that the release would include a 5.1 version of the album. 2112 was included as part of the Sector 1 box set release last year, but no 5.1 release of the album was included. More details as we learn them. Thanks to John at Cygnus-X1.net for the heads up.

Comments

Page 1 of 3 - 1 2 3
#25 - Posted 11/1/12 @3:41PM by MrBill

Completely agree with #23 and #24. Steven Wilson's 5.1 mixing is stunning. It sounds so immersive and not at all gimicky like so many other 5.1 mixes. I would seriously love him to tackle Hemispheres and Permanent Waves. Not likely - but one can dream!!!
#24 - Posted 10/26/12 @11:05AM by Gabbo [contact]

I can't get excited by this, although I suppose it does help me save money (I didn't buy MP, Replay, GUP Live CD, etc...). I'm simply not a fan of RC's work. It's sterile. Why on earth Rush goes out of their way to avoid involving Terry Brown in any of the albums he recorded, co-produced, and co-arranged is a mystery. Maybe their egos don't like the credit Terry seems to receive for helping craft their "classics"? Most artists go back to the original member(s) of the production team (whenever possible) to ensure the intent and aesthetics of the original sessions are maintained. For example, Elton John hadn't worked with his original producer in many years but went to him to remaster the original recordings - and the results were stellar!
#23 - Posted 10/25/12 @9:05AM by alx gd nl [contact]

Hello. I hope the surround mix delivers this time. RC's 5.1 mixing isn't steller, at all, compared to, say, Steven Wilson or Elliot Scheiner. STRICTLY IMO! I will purchase- STAT!. Thanks.
#22 - Posted 10/25/12 @1:18AM by broughttoyoubytheletterj [contact]

If it sounded anywhere near 1993's Counterparts it would be in my truck deck 10 times more often, and CP's isn't even an above average recording...
#21 - Posted 10/25/12 @1:08AM by broughttoyoubytheletterj [contact]

I'll take an analog 16 track remaster or a pro tools equivalent of Clockwork Angels over any other RUSH LP, not likely, but not impossible either.
#20 - Posted 10/24/12 @11:29PM by Ghost Rider [contact]

#9 & #19 - I'm in agreement with you both! 2112 is a nice remix, but I'd be a pig in $#!+ for a Vapor Trails complete remix!!!
#19 - Posted 10/24/12 @10:54PM by kennyplaymusic [contact]

yea, VAPOR TRAILS... THAT WOULD BE THE BOMB
#18 - Posted 10/24/12 @9:16PM by RushNSanDiego [contact]

Merry Christmas to me!!! If it's RUSH music, I'll buy it, no matter how many times I have those songs!
#17 - Posted 10/24/12 @5:36PM by Xaromir [contact]

All I want is a good analog release from the best available master on 180g vinyl @45rpm, and make it special, nicely printed with a nice gatefold, and make that clear dark blue vinyl with light blue splatter/marble, and custom labels. Well ok maybe it's a bit to much to ask for, but this would be totally wicked - you must admit! I don't really get what all these digital re-releases are for, especially since they about as dynamic as a 300 pound 5 year old. There used to be a time when people wouldn't even think about watering down a record with noise to make it sounds artificially "louder", a time when people knew about volume knobs, and when there still was something like a experience attached to music, instead of just consuming it, i really long for that, and while vinyl still lives on, this time should make a digital comeback - maybe even together with vinyl. I could easily see how people buy records again, and records having free digital download codes on the inner sleeves or something like that.
#16 - Posted 10/24/12 @5:14PM by Watchmaker9 [contact]

#7/15 That's the sad thing is that eventually all of these albums will likely get the deluxe treatment. I'm still patting myself on the back for not buying the ORIGINAL remasters, ha.

Page 1 of 3 - 1 2 3