Monday, August 6, 2012

Anthrax members discuss covering Rush's Anthem in new interview
10:16AM EST | comments (17) |

Back in April we first heard that thrash metal pioneers Anthrax would be including a cover of Rush's Anthem on an upcoming tribute EP. The EP will commemorate the 1 year anniversary of the release of tha band's Worship Music album and is slated for release around September 13th. It will also include covers of AC/DC's T.N.T., Boston's Smokin' and Journey's Keep on Runnin'. Artisan News Service recently sat down with Anthrax members Scott Ian and Frank Bello to discuss the EP and specifically the Anthem cover:

Scott Ian: It's songs that in some way, shape or form we've been playing or jamming on for our whole lives. Because you really don't want to have to work too hard on these things. Although the Rush song is a bit of a bitch. I can't say that's an easy one. But it's a song we all know and we're all familiar with. So then - of course - you take on the challenge of really trying to nail it and do it justice.

Frank Bello: Even the bass parts - I have to get every little part of Geddy down because I'm a fanatic with that stuff and I have to. I don't want to leave it. I'm still working on the little bits. It's great - I love it.

Rush was apparently made aware of the cover via drummer Charlie Benante's YouTube clip of him laying down the drum track:

Scott Ian: Charlie [Benante] bumped into Neil Peart at the Golden Gods Awards a few months ago and Neil actually said to Charlie, "yeah- we heard you guys were covering Anthem. That's so cool. We put the clip of you playing drums up on our website", or something like that. I swear to God - Charlie was like ... the light, the glow that was coming off of him after that. I've never seen anything quite like it.

You can watch the entire interview below or on YouTube here (thanks Eric at Power Windows):

Comments

#17 - Posted 8/8/12 @11:46AM by CraigJ [contact]

#11 Greg Howe's version of La Villa is nearly unlistenable.
#16 - Posted 8/7/12 @3:09PM by jaeger [contact]

Should've put another 3 in at the end to sum to 21 and then to 12. :)
#15 - Posted 8/7/12 @4:18AM by oldprogrockfan [contact]

Today is August 7th and it is day 10 of the Oylmpics in a cold and wet London but in just 1 month from today the Rush tour will open in a hot and stickey Manchester N.H. for the first night of the tour!
Roll on October and I will be flying in for 3 nights with 9 hours of Rock and Roll Heaven in New York, New Jersey and Boston.

Old prog rock fan.
London (Day 10) 2012 England.
#14 - Posted 8/6/12 @5:29PM by zkzt

Ah yes the on again, off again EP is once again on again.
#13 - Posted 8/6/12 @3:59PM by jaeger [contact]

Or Greg Hawkes' :) link
#12 - Posted 8/6/12 @3:46PM by drmike [contact]

#8 hehe That's one of the main attractions of Rush. The music is so complex, it takes work to listen to it (let alone play it). The fact that it still holds a ton of emotion (and a wide range of emotions) makes it that much better. I went to an Aerosmith tribute band show a couple weeks ago and I left wondering if the band got bored playing 4/4 time for most of the show.
#11 - Posted 8/6/12 @3:26PM by 1-2-bucklemyshoe [contact]

Although I think its great to see these covers, it's not that exciting to me to hear Anthrax (a heavy metal band) cover Anthem, which is Rush at its most "heavy metal" (please, people, take note of the quotation marks before you jump all over me)

I think it would be much more interesting to hear Anthrax cover, say, Rivendell, or maybe Tai Shan. See what they could come up with to make the song completely different, you know?

In the same way, I think Greg Howe's version of La Villa is pretty boring, because he's a prog musician covering Rush at its most "prog" (note the quotation marks again). I would rather hear Greg Howe cover Anthem or In The Mood.

Just my thoughts...
#10 - Posted 8/6/12 @3:22PM by jaeger [contact]

Neil's twitter account is back...
#9 - Posted 8/6/12 @2:56PM by broughttoyoubytheletterj [contact]

Dont worry limpflo, you'll be ok...
#8 - Posted 8/6/12 @1:53PM by Bman [contact]

#3

Yeah, I don't know if you've heard but Rush's music is a little more difficult than your average classic rock song. It's no secret.