Thursday, February 9, 2012

Members of Opeth, Mastodon, Staind and Machine Head share their memories of Rush and why they love the band
9:56AM EST | comments (10) |

Back in August of last year, Rush announced that they had signed with Roadrunner Records - also the label of many heavy metal and progressive rock bands that have been heavily influenced by Rush, including Opeth, Mastodon, Staind and Machine Head. MusicRadar.com posted a video interview this morning where members of these bands discuss their memories of Rush and why they love the band so much. You can watch the video below or at this link. Thanks to Power Windows for the heads up.

Comments

Page 1 of 1 - 1
#10 - Posted 2/12/12 @12:17AM by patrush

Very good comments.
#9 - Posted 2/10/12 @8:57AM by FlyingRoadstar [contact]

I know I'm gonna get flamed, but ...

As a former musician (the kind that played bass in high school, college, and a bit post college in various rock bands around town) I'm the "classic" Rush fan ... guy who gets into them in high school and never let's go. So if I was interviewed by a rock magazine, or MusicRadar, or whatever, I'd talk about how I would put Xanadu in my cassette deck and listen to it over and over. Or how I would dissect the triangle part in the opening of Hemispheres.

But my "real" musician friends ... the ones who are still making music, for a living, either in bands, or as sound engineers, or for computer games, etc. ... the ones that took that inspiration and turned it into a life ... they all *loved* Rush, but they really expanded what they listened to and dissected, first as kids, and still today as adults.

My point is simply that these guys may not have owned every Rush album. And if they did, and if they worshipped them like I did, they would either 1) not be famous enough to be talked to today, or B) be in bands that sound alarmingly like Rush because that would be their single major influence.

Having said that, of course there are exceptions. But generally speaking, from the people I know, the ones who are successful musicians today spread their love around such that they have lots of other influences to talk about in great detail.

Having said that ... *I* would talk about Territories on PW, because that album is in my rotation at the moment, and that song blows me away. But I'm not famous enough for anyone to ask. :)
#8 - Posted 2/9/12 @11:50PM by musicofthespheres [contact]

It is interesting hearing other musicians speak of Rush's influence on them, but the 2112 and Moving Pictures talk is tired.

However, if someone asked me the one song I would use to introduce a newbie to Rush, I have to admit it would be hard to choose anything other than Tom Sawyer.
#7 - Posted 2/9/12 @9:45PM by The_king_will_Neil [contact]

"Memories of Rush"? "Memories"???

Yeah, whatever happened to those guys? I used to love them.

And that guy Neal Pert - love his high-hat and bass. Love his shampoo too.

At least whoever put together the video realized they've done anything since 1980.

One song to represent Rush? Not possible.
I had enough trouble selecting 1 (or 2 or 3) songs per album to use when I was using small MP3 players.
#6 - Posted 2/9/12 @7:06PM by Rob [contact]

Please do not mention Nickleback on this blog again.
#5 - Posted 2/9/12 @4:35PM by patrush

Opeth rules. One of the best bands out there.
#4 - Posted 2/9/12 @2:49PM by 1-2-bucklemyshoe [contact]

I don't want to sound negative here, but its too bad that all these guys seem to be limited to MP and 2112. There was one reference to Farewell to Kings and another to Fly By Night, but you would think that if they were really hard core Rush fans, they would be more fluent with their other songs.

I mean, no mention of La Villa Strangiato, even. You would think that at least some of them would pick that out as a "blow your mind" intro to Rush
#3 - Posted 2/9/12 @10:56AM by limelighter [contact]

OMG, i thought that was the lead singer of nickelback. almost had a heart attack. worst band ever. seriously.
#2 - Posted 2/9/12 @10:24AM by joerock213 [contact]

I just hope Rush doesn't start to sound like these other Roadrunner bands. They are not "metal".
#1 - Posted 2/9/12 @10:06AM by glweinrib [contact]